Menu

Update on RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference

Capt_Uhura

Registration opens tomorrow!!!!!! The meeting will be held at Valley Forge Christian College. There will be a $30 registration fee for the meeting. Dr. K. will check on how many beds per room but we are assuming 2 single beds/room. the cost is $32/BED (not room) if you want linens. If you want breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Friday, it's $25.

Ok, I confirmed w/ Dr. K. He's aiming for an 8AM start on Friday so those traveling, may want to come in Thursday evening. Also, the end time will be no later than 5pm on Saturday so those traveling can leave out late afternoon on Saturday. He still needs to check w/ SWB to begin scheduling talks.

The two featured speakers are Susan Wise Bauer and Michael Clay Thompson (MCT).

I do know who the other 2 speakers are ..... One is a WTMer! She recently published a new Nature Study book with RFWP...our very own Kalmia!

The auditorium only holds 250 people so that will be the limit which should cover everyone here at WTM that was interested in going.

This looks to be an intimate gathering and I anticipate learning so much!

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Is there a thread that outlines what the meetings are going to cover, etc.? What (are any?) vendors coming?

Also, is SWB going to attend? I read in another thread that she was going to come.

Just wondering! BTW - VFCC is in Phoenixville (which is where I live, actually!) and the downtown area has a lot of great/unique restaurants & shops!:)

Re: hotels -- I think the nearest (decent) hotel is the Hampton Inn, but it's actually in Oaks, PA (over the Schuylkill River). There is no hotel *right* near campus. There are others (Desmond - kind of ritzy, at least that's where QVC puts up their guests?, Courtyard by Marriott, etc.) but they a ways away.

There is a Mainstay Inn right downtown in Phoenixville but it has a bad reputation and I wouldn't recommend it to my family...so I wouldn't recommend it here, either. :) There was actually just a big incident there a few weeks ago...so yeah, wouldn't take my family there.

So if you are bringing a family, I personally would stay at the Hampton Inn in Oaks, PA if you have a car.

If anyone is coming without a car and you don't know anyone coming with a car, it would be easiest to stay in the dorm.

I'm super local! If you have questions about the area I can try to answer them! VFCC used to actually be an army hospital - my husband was born there ages ago...then he moved all around since his dad was in the Army, and of all the places in the world that we wind up (we met in SC and I'm from OH) we now live in Phoenixville. Kind of freaky!

Is there a thread that outlines what the meetings are going to cover, etc.? What (are any?) vendors coming?

Also, is SWB going to attend? I read in another thread that she was going to come.

Just wondering! BTW - VFCC is in Phoenixville (which is where I live, actually!) and the downtown area has a lot of great/unique restaurants & shops!:)

Yes, the two featured speakers are Susan Wise Bauer and Michael Clay Thompson! We don't have a schedule as of yet. At one point, Dr. K. mentioned having one day w/ SWB and one day w/ MCT.

There will not be vendors. Space was very limited and we are soooo lucky to even get this space! So the two vendors will be Peace Hill Press and Royal Fireworks Press.

This is less a conference and more an intimate session with SWB and MCT to get our questions answered! I'm certain it will be an informative two days!

There will not be vendors. Space was very limited and we are soooo lucky to even get this space! So the two vendors will be Peace Hill Press and Royal Fireworks Press.

This is less a conference and more an intimate session with SWB and MCT to get our questions answered! I'm certain it will be an informative two days!

Sounds good to me!

If you need any help in advance for this, please let me know. VFCC is literally 5-10 minutes from my house. I know I'm "new" to this board but it's b/c I'm new as a whole to homeschooling. My oldest is 5. But whatever I can do to help, please let me know!

How many people per dorm room? 2? or more? I was planning to share with two friends, although I guess if it's per person they could just be in another room, but then they might be sharing with a stranger?

Just good info to know ahead of time...

Also, any hope of our setting up that used curriculum sale? I have stuff I'd love to give a new home to...

Thanks so much for helping to coordinate this, Uhura!

Sounds good to me!

If you need any help in advance for this, please let me know. VFCC is literally 5-10 minutes from my house. I know I'm "new" to this board but it's b/c I'm new as a whole to homeschooling. My oldest is 5. But whatever I can do to help, please let me know!

erin marie - if you can post to Dr. K. at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-Fireworks-Press/103590278683 or call him at the phone number at http://www.rfwp.com, I'm sure he'd be happy to have some assistance if he needs it! :001_smile:

How many people per dorm room? 2? or more? I was planning to share with two friends, although I guess if it's per person they could just be in another room, but then they might be sharing with a stranger?

Just good info to know ahead of time...

Also, any hope of our setting up that used curriculum sale? I have stuff I'd love to give a new home to...

Thanks so much for helping to coordinate this, Uhura!

I asked Dr. K about the dorm rooms and it is on his list to inquire about tomorrow. As soon as I hear from here, I'll let you know.

Are there any bus or train stations somewhat close by? Do you have taxi services?

Oh my goodness this is so exciting. :w00t:

Septa buses do run through Phoenixville, and there are train stations all along the Main Line (Route 30) which runs from Philly out to the western suburbs - but no train that directly comes into Phoenixville.

I checked the Septa schedule-- I've never actually ridden the bus through here but I know the 99 bus goes from Norristown to Phoenixville. The Hampton Inn has a 99 bus stop right near it. I am trying to figure out where by VFCC there is a stop - I can drive by tomorrow to find out, b/c frankly the Septa website stinks.

There is a new line, 205, that goes from the "ritzier" hotels I posted about but it's *only during the week.* The 99 runs every day (though not positive on times).

Honestly though, VFCC is on the outer edge of Phoenixville, kind of by itself. There aren't any fast food restaurants or hotels right there where the college is. I can call them tomorrow and ask them how one would get to campus by Septa & post their directions, or just drive by campus and find the nearest bus stop. But you won't be taking a train directly to the college, that is for sure.

There are taxi services you can call...but not to randomly hail on the street.

If you do Google Street View of 1410 Charlestown Rd, 19460 you can see it's "kind of" in the boonies but it's really just 5 minutes or so from where the "stuff" is in town:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1401+charlestown+rd,+19460&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.042042,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1401+Charlestown+Rd,+Phoenixville,+Pennsylvania+19460&ll=40.1166,-75.544716&spn=0.008566,0.021136&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.1166,-75.544716&panoid=FBT3EM4MgkTstnNWWHWbzA&cbp=12,297.51,,0,0.79

If you back out to the map view and then drag the "guy" you can see photos all around campus. You can see, too, from the map that the campus is "all inclusive."

Edited by ErinMarie123
Edited b/c I can't spell.

Oh, and the "stuff" I'm speaking off -- the neat restaurants, shops, etc. are to the east of campus, on Bridge Street between Rt. 23 (Nutt Rd) and Rt. 29 (Starr St). That is downtown Phoenixville.

There is also "stuff" along Rt. 113 (Kimberton Rd) to the north of campus. Ex. at the intersection of 113 & 23 there is a grocery store shopping center/strip mall area, fast food, etc. Oh, and Wawa. God forbid don't forget to get coffee at Wawa.

Thanks so much! I think my husband might be on board with driving us there. I hate driving that far.

I don't know how far you have to drive, and I don't mean to discourage anyone because public transportation *could* be done - but I would really want to have a car, especially if you'd rather stay in a hotel and not on campus.

But the campus is beautiful! I only drove through a couple times when my son's T-ball games were held at a field there.

This is going to be so great!

Septa buses do run through Phoenixville, and there are train stations all along the Main Line (Route 30) which runs from Philly out to the western suburbs - but no train that directly comes into Phoenixville.

I checked the Septa schedule-- I've never actually ridden the bus through here but I know the 99 bus goes from Norristown to Phoenixville. The Hampton Inn has a 99 bus stop right near it. I am trying to figure out where by VFCC there is a stop - I can drive by tomorrow to find out, b/c frankly the Septa website stinks.

There is a new line, 205, that goes from the "ritzier" hotels I posted about but it's *only during the week.* The 99 runs every day (though not positive on times).

Honestly though, VFCC is on the outer edge of Phoenixville, kind of by itself. There aren't any fast food restaurants or hotels right there where the college is. I can call them tomorrow and ask them how one would get to campus by Septa & post their directions, or just drive by campus and find the nearest bus stop. But you won't be taking a train directly to the college, that is for sure.

There are taxi services you can call...but not to randomly hail on the street.

If you do Google Street View of 1410 Charlestown Rd, 19460 you can see it's "kind of" in the boonies but it's really just 5 minutes or so from where the "stuff" is in town:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1401+charlestown+rd,+19460&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.042042,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1401+Charlestown+Rd,+Phoenixville,+Pennsylvania+19460&ll=40.1166,-75.544716&spn=0.008566,0.021136&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.1166,-75.544716&panoid=FBT3EM4MgkTstnNWWHWbzA&cbp=12,297.51,,0,0.79

If you back out to the map view and then drag the "guy" you can see photos all around campus. You can see, too, from the map that the campus is "all inclusive."

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information!!! I'm so excited!

Someone asked about airports.........

Big airport would be Philly.

I'm bugging dh now to take a trip back to see the folks so I can swing the conference!

Btw, yay for WaWa and it's coffee/soft pretzels.

The college is about 20 min from KofP Mall right? Hmmmmmmmmm.

Edited by cjbeach

Someone asked about airports.........

Big airport would be Philly.

I'm bugging dh now to take a trip back to see the folks so I can swing the conference!

Btw, yay for WaWa and it's coffee/soft pretzels.

The college is about 20 min from KofP Mall right? Hmmmmmmmmm.

If it helps, the airport abbreviation is PHL.

K of P mall --> HUGE. There are actually two parts: Court and Plaza. One has more expensive stores.

I just called VFCC to ask if/where the nearest bus stop was, and the lady I spoke with said that there really isn't one *near* the campus...the closest is probably at least a mile away at Bridge & Nutt (Rt 23).

Apparently at one time they did run a bus to the campus but there was not enough riders so that route is gone.

The lady I spoke with also mentioned they have a list of accommodations on their site that they recommend when students visit the campus:

http://www.vfcc.edu/campusvisits/?p=show&id=75

They don't list the Hampton Inn in Oaks, PA but that is closer than some of these listed. And I don't know that if you mention VFCC if you'd still get a discount as the site says, but I bet it wouldn't hurt to try?!

And the King of Prussia Mall is mammoth! I think it beats the Mall of America in terms of retail space...but who's keeping track. Restaurants, high-end stores (Tiffany, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, Coach...designers, etc.) (not that I shop at those! haha), "regular" stores, and big department stores like Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Norstrom, Sears, Penneys. Really a huge range of options.

If you've never been to Philadelphia before, you must visit the Independence National Historic Park http://www.nps.gov/inde/index.htm for a tour of Independence Hall (free day-of tickets) and the Liberty Bell. The National Constitution Center http://constitutioncenter.org/ is on Independence Mall as well.

We like the Franklin Institute www.fi.edu if you're in a science-y mood. The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Anthropology www.penn.museum is fascinating.

I can't answer the public transport question because we drive in for day trips. Franklin Institute has its own parking garage. The Penn Museum relies on the University of Pennsylvania parking lots. When we "do" the historic area, we choose a public lot to park in for the day, then walk from place to place.

Can anyone in that area recommend must sees in Philadelphia? DH and I plan to spend the day there on Sunday and go back to NY on Monday. What is public transport like in Philadelphia?

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk.........

If you're a foodie, South Philly old Italian restaurants like Franks or Dante and Luigis. There's also the Italian Market to walk around. Personally I prefer the Reading Terminal Market in town (definitely seek out Terminis for their cannolis. There's the originalTermini's on 9th street @ Italian Market but there's a line in the mornings). The whole Philly cheesesteak thing w/Genos and Pat's is crazy. I'm all about Tony Luke's;)Philly has great hoagies and everyone has their own favorite pizza place. We gets ours from a place you actually have to call into in the morning and reserve your dough! The STeven Starr restaurants are the most popular in the city (Buddakan is fun). Penang is in Chinatown which is a trendy Malaysian place. Manayunk has a lot of cool places. The Manayunk arts festival is the weekend of the conference. http://manayunk.com/

Market St and Broad ST Divide the city and that's where City Hall is, Chinatown isn't far. To one end is the ARt Museum, the Rodin museum, Lincoln Drive, Boathouse Row,etc... The other end would be Old City, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross house,Liberty Bell, South street, the Mint, the riverfront/"Delaware AVe", working into South PHilly...

Try to find a hotel in town, it's fun. I like being a cab ride away or short walk from things.

I already looked at the Kimmel Center to see if there were any good shows, operas, or ballets that week. It looks like "Next to Normal" is @ the Academy of Music.

Penn Campus is gorgeous out in far WEst Philly and the creepy Mutter Museum is interesting I have heard (though for some reason I have never been there).

For the kids: Franklin Institute and the recently redone Please Touch Museum are 2 places you have to go. They're both in town (Center City Philly).

(FWIW, the Schulykill Expressway/I-76 will take you from Valley Forge into Center City Philly. Avoid M-F rush hour at all costs.)

And since it will be hot... seek out water ice and pretzels (Rita's, Pop's, etc...).

PUblic transportation.......... Are you used to NY subways? Philly's are not as plentiful but just as dangerous. However, there are specialized buses that will take you through the tourist-y areas, they're good. Subways - avoid. The EL - meh. It's workable if you know it. I knew Septa schedules like the back of my hand but now I prefer to cab it if I can. :)

Btw, the weekend of the conference is right before the 4th of July holiday so you may find thinks are a bit low-key. Most people vacate the city for the shore on weekends so they'll be heavy traffic going South toward the Jersey shore.

Edited by cjbeach

Will parking be an issue if you stay at a hotel and not at the college?

Anyone bringing kids?

I doubt parking would be a problem as there aren't any summer classes scheduled for the college per the calendar.

Some have noted on the larger thread (general forum) that they are bringing kids---but I think only babies and teens so far. I don't know about kid kids :001_smile:

• 1 month later...

Bumping to catch those who may have missed it.

Oh darn I bumped the wrong thread.

Royal Fireworks Press (RFWP) has organized a mini-conference for us in Valley Forge, PA in lieu of the canceled Northeastern Homeschool Convention. It will be held at Valley Forge Christian College on June 24,25. Susan Wise Bauer will be giving 3 talks on Friday and 3 talks on Saturday. MCT will be giving 3 talks each day as well. In addition, our very own Kalmia, Laurel Dodge, will be giving a talk about Nature Study for the Whole Family (also the title of her book newly published by RFWP). Also, Dr. Shelagh Gallagher will be giving a talk on her RFWP curriculum, problem solving for high schoolers. There will be ample coffee breaks to talk to SWB and MCT. We have accommodations at the college for $30/night. There is the option of buying meals in the cafeteria for $25 for Friday and $16.50 on Saturday since there isn't much near the college.

You can register here: http://www.rfwp.com/valley-forge-convention.php

There is a RFWP social group. Please check it out if you'd like to attend the WTM Thursday night dinner out. Also, if you'd like to see specific curriculum or want to see if there is something you can bring to show others, check out the social group.

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura