Menu

Whose brilliant idea was this, anyway?

I would rather slip in the shower and crack my head on the wall than try to clean the soap scum and boy dirt out of that ridiculous textured "non-skid" shower floor.

Makers of shower stalls are so inconsiderate, they don't even give you the option anymore. :glare:

I would rather slip in the shower and crack my head on the wall than try to clean the soap scum and boy dirt out of that ridiculous textured "non-skid" shower floor.

Makers of shower stalls are so inconsiderate, they don't even give you the option anymore. :glare:

:iagree:

Hey, we could combine this thread with the one about what to do if a child backtalks. If someone backtalks, he gets to clean the textured shower floor with vinegar, baking soda, and a toothbrush!

(((Crissy))) Why is it that people who design these fixtures do not think about how one will CLEAN them?

It's a favorite rant topic of mine. I looooove my house, but I do not love the hard-to-clean sink fixtures that have one x-shaped handle for cold, one for hot, and then a spout. Three things to clean around. For each sink. For three bathrooms. For one soaker tub in addition. Argh!

Someone just told me that those Mr. Clean type white sponges that magically clean dirt - ya know? - are good for the textured handles on refrigerators. So I'm wondering if they'd also work on the textured surface of the shower? It might be worth a try.... They have generic, cheaper ones out now.....

Once you get the shower clean, toss the bar soap. You won't have soap scum if you don't have bar soap. (Soap scum is composed of skin cells, dirt, and oil that get suspended in the soap, which rehardens on the surface of your shower). Shower gel rinses away, and leaves no residue. I haven't needed to scrub a shower, tub, or sink in 10 years, ever since I banned all bar soap from my house. :) I still wash them, but no scrubbing is needed.

(((Crissy))) Why is it that people who design these fixtures do not think about how one will CLEAN them?

My sentiments exactly.

I think about this all the time when being shown the latest and greatest. Sometimes the tradeoff between coolness or whatever and function (as in the ability to clean it well without bustin a gut) is not worth it. I have ix-nayed quite a few of dh's ideas around the home because I knew how crazy it would be to keep the thing clean.

Hey, we could combine this thread with the one about what to do if a child backtalks. If someone backtalks, he gets to clean the textured shower floor with vinegar, baking soda, and a toothbrush!

LOL!

Those with teenagers would have *really* clean showers, wouldn't they? :D

Once you get the shower clean, toss the bar soap. You won't have soap scum if you don't have bar soap. (Soap scum is composed of skin cells, dirt, and oil that get suspended in the soap, which rehardens on the surface of your shower). Shower gel rinses away, and leaves no residue. I haven't needed to scrub a shower, tub, or sink in 10 years, ever since I banned all bar soap from my house. :) I still wash them, but no scrubbing is needed.

No kidding? I wonder if I can convince my husband to give up his trusty bar of soap.

I HAVE slipped in the shower and suffered some soft tissue damage to my left shoulder, as well as some lovely scars from my leg scraping the foot stool I was standing on, so, given all that, I think I'd choose the soap scum and boy dirt. LOL

(Never, ever try to put up wall paper over the shower while standing on a step stool in the tub. Just don't do it.)

I HAVE slipped in the shower and suffered some soft tissue damage to my left shoulder, as well as some lovely scars from my leg scraping the foot stool I was standing on, so, given all that, I think I'd choose the soap scum and boy dirt. LOL

(Never, ever try to put up wall paper over the shower while standing on a step stool in the tub. Just don't do it.)

Ooooh, ouch!

I was going for head damage, not soft tissue. My hair would cover the scars.:D

Same rant with the issue of those double-track shower doors. I hate them. Hate hate hate them.

My mom simply can't understand why I was less than thrilled that the update the church did to the rectory included putting in shower doors--loves hers. At least one of ours is a single track model--much easier to clean. And, I was also upset because they didn't even consider that their new Rector may have small children whose parents need to bend over the side of the tub to give baths--also a pain with a shower door.

Urgh.:tongue_smilie:

No kidding? I wonder if I can convince my husband to give up his trusty bar of soap.

Oh, I can think of a way. The next time they need to be cleaned, ask HIM to clean them (actually getting him to do it is the rub). Hand him your implements with a smile and go away for the day. Stop by your trusty grocery store on the way home and get some shower gel or liquid soap. When you get home, compliment him on a job well done and casually tell him that you hear if you use this instead, the cleaning job is eliminated. Ask him if he thinks it's worth trying.:D

If you want to take a harder line, you can tell him that he is free to continue using bar soap, but that he will inherit the cleaning job too.:001_huh:

Ya don't have to be ugly about it, but sometimes men "get it" more easily when they have to deal with the consequences of their choices themselves.

Honestly, my mother said this to my father and now he is the one who cleans the tubs! He doesn't get to it as often as my mother would prefer, but when he does it, he actually does a superb job. He wanted to keep his bar soap THAT much.

My husband didn't.:lol:

I totally agree. We are redoing a bathroom and I am trying SO hard to choose things that will clean easily. When we were choosing tile, the guy was trying to talk me into this really porous one. I said that I think it would be hard to get really clean. He was like "no no no." I bet he had never cleaned a tile floor or shower wall in his life!

That said, I do like CLR bath and shower cleaner. It eats up the scum. If you can't get it at your grocery store, you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

..dirt colored shower...

Only trouble is, after awhile, it changes color. The dirt color gets, ...er... darker. And, the standy parts get slipperier. And, the drain part gets goopy. And, ask me how I know.

I'm liking the shower gel concept (minus the plastic bottles the stuff comes in).

Crissy -- I'm pretty sure the members of the design team were all wearing aprons over their denim jumpers. ;)

I totally agree. We are redoing a bathroom and I am trying SO hard to choose things that will clean easily. When we were choosing tile, the guy was trying to talk me into this really porous one. I said that I think it would be hard to get really clean. He was like "no no no." I bet he had never cleaned a tile floor or shower wall in his life!

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be taking a sledge hammer to the tiles in both of our bathrooms. We have the super shiny slippery white tiles. I thought I couldn't imagine what these people were thinking but now you may have answered my question. We've lived in this house for 3 years and all of us have fallen at least once. I'm honestly glad we didn't have this house when my kids were much smaller. I've tried rugs but the cats mess on them. I've tried non-slip stuff but nothing sticks to these floors. They are a fatal accident waiting to happen and I've been itching to get in there and get rid of them!

I'm going to put in some tiles like I have in my kitchen/dining room, only a smaller square area. They are more porous and not slippery. They really aren't bad to keep clean. I was waiting for our stimulus check. Will that thing ever get here??