Menu

student chosen curriculum?

leeannpal

I haven't done that for my younger children, though I do try to choose things that interest them. But recently, for my older two children (8th/9th grades), I took them to a high school curriculum meeting in our area to see some options and to give me their input (knowing that we parents have the final decision). It was nice to see my oldest (who HATES math) look through the math curriculum and tell me that Teaching Textbooks Algebra II looked really interesting to him and he liked the writing style, and he thought he would learn well from it. This from a resistant kid who didn't even want to go in the first place. So, I'm going to do my best to try that for him next year.

As for my younger children- if they say, "Can you teach me cursive?" (regardless of the age), I will consider it, since I'd rather teach them something they *want* to learn rather than saying no and then making them take it later when they are no longer interested.

If it's feasible to teach your daughter the curriculum she is drawn towards, and you aren't against it, I'd probably try to find a way to make it work.

I have just started showing some things to my 10 yo. It's been more of a "between these two which do you think looks better" sort of thing but he doesn't choose the direction we're taking. I am letting my 12 yo make choices for next year. She could choose between HS, PS or Connections and she has chosen CA. I wouldn't offer choices I couldn't live with though.

Zero input at early elementary level. A recipe for catastrophe in my opinion. They DO get to pick what they do in their FREE time for their FREE learning - but they are way too small to be able to actually assess which school materials would be the best fit for them.

Upper middle and high school are not so problematic when it comes to areas they are good at and many times they can really say what would work better for them and estimate the overall quality of the materials. But age 8, no way, not happening. Maybe some input in what books they get to read for literature (though I strictly separate school from free time learning from an early age), or how they get to study a particular unit, but choosing the actual curriculum, no.

I realize that my post sounded more like unschooling than I meant. I was wondering if you show curriculum choices to your kids and let them choose their language, history, math, etc.?

I won't let them choose their math or LA. I do ask them if they like it and they'll give me their opinion. However, if you look at my signature...that's what my oldest 2 kids chose to do this year - MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures. They also asked to do Botany (so, we're doing Botany). I think towards middle school, they start having a "preference" for certain things. :glare:

It is more important that curricula matches a teacher's teaching style than that it matches a student's learning style.

I only believe in letting a student have input in the choice of materials that they intend to use for self-instruction.

I believe that every teacher has the right to teach with her strengths.

How much input do your children have in the curriculum that is chosen? My daughter, at age 8, has clear ideas of what she wants to learn and how she wants to learn.

Not much, honestly. I choose materials that I feel are a good fit for my goals, my personality, and my children's personalities and learning styles. We work on those during school time. When the kids want to learn about something else, I remind them that learning never stops and they are always free to learn about whatever they want. My feeling is that I have clear goals in mind for their education, and we work on those during our dedicated, parent-led schooling time. When they have clear ideas of their own, they work on those in their free time. I don't have the time or energy to incorporate every one of their (many, varied, and creative) ideas and interests into our school day.

Tara

I let my dd choose between 2 science programs for next year. I also allow her to choose supplements....and I do hear and listen to her opinions of our curricula, but the final decisions lie with me.

She is a 7th grader.

I don't have my little guys choose their curricula, or it would just be legos and mud.

Faithe

My children don't choose curriculum at all...I do the research and decide what I think will be best to use...I feel they can't possibly have the same understanding about their education that DH and I would have from our experience and knowledge of different subjects...Kids always know what they want, but it is difficult for them at young ages to know what they need...Especially in the grammar stage when critical thinking hasn't even been developed yet...

If I have made a decision that I feel needs to change, I will change it though...

My boys aren't even aware of the many curricula choices to even have an opnion :tongue_smilie:

I asked my 13 year old for her input on a math curriculum. I was pretty torn between two of them, although leaning towards one. She picked the other based on samples she saw online. After much thinking over it, I think I'm going to go with her choice.

I let my ds have say in what we study, but I chose how. At 8 he didn't get options, but he would have chosen to not do school anyway.

This year we are studying Asian history per his request. Next year we are doing computer science, instead of Earth Science, per his request. Our modern language he chose. But these are at the upper middle school stage.

I did let him pick the math curriculum, but it was from two choices I was already comfortable teaching and owned.

I still hold veto power. I'm the one doing the research, I'm the one that sees the long term vision for our school.

I only have a first grader, so definitely not letting him pick out curriculum. ;) But I did present him with some different styles of cursive handwriting and let him pick which one he wanted to learn. He chose GDI, which I was planning to do anyway. :D I think it will be a perfect fit for him. He's actually quite interested in learning it!

I also asked him what he wanted to study in science. We're doing interest-led science, but I pick the materials we use to study the science. So basically, I said "What animals would you like to study?" and also gave him some other science topics. He wasn't interested in rocks, so we'll skip that for now, but I knew he'd want to do weather, so we did that. He also was interested in astronomy, so we'll do that.

I've heard of high schoolers designing their own curriculum, and have seen an example of this using living books. It was really cool! We're definitely a LONG way from that here though, and I will pick some subjects, as PP's mentioned. At this point, I'm a LONG way from my son having any input on actual curriculum. I do ask how he likes things, but I don't necessarily change based on that. He didn't like FLL1 at first, but I think that's because it was mostly review, so it was too easy for him. I did ask him if he wanted to do FLL1 at normal pace or if he wanted to do multiple lessons a day and move on to FLL2. He chose the second option. I was fine with either option, so I gave him the choice. We were at a point where *some* of the material was new, but he picks things up so quickly that it wasn't a problem to do several lessons a day. We start FLL2 next week. ;)

I do let my DD have some say in the choices I make. Basically, I will have two options that are acceptable for use, then I'll ask a few questions to let her voice her opinion. Like last year, I asked if she liked the FLL or Rod and Staff grammar better. After doing a week of each, she liked Rod and Staff. (Which surprised me since I thought she'd like FLL better.)

So if this is what you're looking to do, I don't see a problem with asking for the child's opinion on parent approved material.

I did, and I don't think I'll do it again. I let my daughter choose math -- Math Mammoth, Singapore or TT. She chose TT, I spent the $100 and she loved it and did it happily for 6+ months. Then one day she said she doesn't like it and wants to switch again. :001_huh: I let her have a Math Mammoth break for a month (since I have the materials anyway - and I think the coverage of some skills is stronger in MM), but today she's going back to TT to finish off what we started. She's already grumbling.

I have a 9 year old DD and choose curriculum that will be good for her. She hasn't had input on math or language arts. But, she is not crazy about history, so I keep checking out different types of history books from the library (Kingfisher, biographies, You wouldn't want to be a .. . . .) to try to find the book that will spark that interest. I don't think it is wrong to see what is appealing to a child and gets them engaged.

In the elementary years I choose. As my kids get older they have more input. My 9th grader helped me plan her entire curriculum (I chose most of the subjects, she helped me decide what books to use) and we will do so for the rest of high school. DD in 7th grade got a bit of input, mostly with regard to book choices for history. My younger kids had no input at all. If I was trying to choose between curriculum I might ask my children's opinion and if what we were using was not working at all they might also get to help me choose something new. I cannot afford to buy new curriculum for each child simply because they they would rather not use what we already own.

You know, I just asked my 8 y/o, who will be in third grade next year about this. I am was/am having a hard time with deciding between more workbook type school OR staying with MFW next year. I asked him what he preferred, doing a workbook (like his CLE LA) or having me read to him to learn about stuff and ask him questions about it. He said me reading to him.

I asked my 10 y/o (who will be in 5th next fall) the same question (seperately) and got the same answer. So, in our case, I know what direction we'll be going in next fall. I obviously have the final say, but if that how the boys enjoy learning and they're **actually** learning, then I'm going for it!

I have a 9 year old DD and choose curriculum that will be good for her. She hasn't had input on math or language arts. But, she is not crazy about history, so I keep checking out different types of history books from the library (Kingfisher, biographies, You wouldn't want to be a .. . . .) to try to find the book that will spark that interest. I don't think it is wrong to see what is appealing to a child and gets them engaged.

I went to hit the "like" button:lol:. I guess that I'll have to use :iagree:.

I let my kids decide from parent approved materials. I let them know in advance that there are required subjects, but they have options within those subjects. I set up a meeting with them about 4 times a year. I get their books out let them know how they are doing (ahead or behind) and make any needed adjustments to their schedule.Unless it is a really bad fit for one of my kids (happened once) they stick with that curriculum until it is over for that book/year.

That is also the time we pick any new electives and add them to our schedule or put them on a list to be done. My ds just chose Carbon Chemistry (on top of current science curriculum), and my dd chose to learn about ballet from A Child's Introduction to Ballet that she found at the bookstore.

My ds and I were just talking about switching math programs. He is in RightStart level C and he doesn't like the drawing part of the program. I showed him Teaching Textbooks and he worked on some online samples. I told him how it was different from RS based on the samples and reviews I read online. After the samples and listening to the differences he decided to stay with RS even though he doesn't like the drawing aspect. I was pretty certain if he had a choice (esp one that uses the computer) to change he would.

My ds and I go around and around about having to do school. He doesn't like it at all, but if I give him the option to choose it is easier on both of us.

In the beginning we did a lot of unit studies, whatever they were interested in, it didn't work out so well. More recently, I do the research, present them with a "what do you think would be best?", In the future 7th/8th grade I hope they can start being more independant, then yes I will most likely let them choose, within reason. In the end it's their lives and education, I feel they should have a say in what they learn. That does not mean that since DS hates writing, he won't have any, just that I'll let him choose (from pre-approved list) which writing program fits him best.

• 4 weeks later...

For the basics - language arts, math, etc. - I show them options I have pre-screened (with my husband) and go from there. For example, it was down to Math Mammoth or Teaching Textbooks for math for 2011-2012. Everyone, independently, chose Teaching Textbooks.

For the non-basics - art, history, science - we are much more "unschooly". My ds wants to study mythology in the fall. Right now he is wrapping up a unit on the history of cars. My dd wants to study kids and animals around the world. We do informal nature studies, and living books for a lot of things. I help support their interests, and I do ask that they follow through on self-planned studies/projects. I ask that they set goals to help facilitate this process.