Menu

My grandmother was laid to rest today...

She went home to be with the Lord on Monday.

We did find a living will, however the terms stipulated "terminal illness," so they had to intervene and put her onto the ventilator. After 2 days on the ventilator, she developed congestive heart failure (she developed pneumonia, another bladder infection, a fungal infection and became septic). They took her off of the ventilator on Monday, about 12 hours before she passed away.

On Sunday, the doctor had come into the room to talk to all of the family members who were there about grandmother's condition. Essentially, he told them that they needed to make a decision about whether or not to take her off of the ventilator. It was a very difficult moment.

After the doctor left, the family gathered around my grandmother's bed. No one was sitting on (or otherwise touching) the bed. An alarm started buzzing. Everyone started checking the machines and IV looking for the cause of the alarm. My aunt looked down at the LCD screen in the bed and saw this message "Patient Not In Bed." That was the alarm going off.

Everyone in the room took that as a message from my grandmother. That she was leaving them, and that they were not to worry about her.

The funeral was Thursday (in Augusta, GA). The internment was today (in Memphis, TN) She was very much loved by all. We will miss her, but we are so grateful that she is no longer plagued by dimensia, chronic bladder infections, and frustrations with the loss of independence she faced. She is also once again with the love of her life, my grandaddy. Her oldest son, and two great-grandbabies.

Thank you all for your prayers and support during a very difficult time. My mother will be coming home in about 4 weeks. Everyone is very excited to have her home with us.

Edited by LisaK in VA