Menu

QUICK ~ cake "icing" question for dh's birthday tomorrow...leaving for store...

I found this awesome recipe for my dh's b'day cake tomorrow. Am leaving for store and baking today if I can squeeze it in.

The icing calls for vegetable shortening. I've NEVER used lard or such. Would there be a compatible substitute for veg shortening when making icing?

TIA!

OK Imp, going with your suggestion to use more butter in place of shortening.

Shortening is animal fat right? Fat, fat and more fat...LOL. Butter is fat, but natural....so I'll use that. Cream fat just sounds healthier than animal fat. :lol:

Thanks!!!

You cannot substitute butter for shortening "one-for-one". Butter is much 'softer' (different melting point) so less would be used.

You CAN make an icing (or 'frosting' whichever word you prefer) with butter --but you'd need a different recipe.

Decorator's icing contains shortening--and is more 'stable' so you have more control over the final 'shape' of the decorations.

You cannot substitute butter for shortening "one-for-one". Butter is much 'softer' (different melting point) so less would be used.

You CAN make an icing (or 'frosting' whichever word you prefer) with butter --but you'd need a different recipe.

Decorator's icing contains shortening--and is more 'stable' so you have more control over the final 'shape' of the decorations.

:iagree:

OK Imp, going with your suggestion to use more butter in place of shortening.

Shortening is animal fat right? Fat, fat and more fat...LOL. Butter is fat, but natural....so I'll use that. Cream fat just sounds healthier than animal fat. :lol:

Thanks!!!

Umm, no. Vegetable shortening, such as Crisco, is *not* animal fat. :D

It's *vegetable shortening*, usually soybean and/or palm oil.

The fat in cream and butter, on the other hand, *is* animal fat. :001_huh:

Your frosting will not come out the same using all butter, and if the shortening:butter ratio is correct, you will not likely taste the shortening at all. It just helps the frosting to stay on the cake without being too soft and sliding off if you're trying to frost the sides.

Happy birthday cake making! :)

I was going to post that you'll need the shortening (which isn't the same as using more butter or margarine), but Julie already posted and as far as I'm concerned, she is the Dessert Goddess.

So.... what she said. :D

I use coconut oil in recipes that call for shortening (if butter will not work -- and it won't in all circumstances). Lard would work too, but I don't really like its flavor in frosting. However, coconut oil works just fine and adds a gentle flavor that complements other flavors.

I make Wilton Buttercream frosting with butter instead of shortening. I have never had any problems with it.

My thanks are to ALL of you who responded and shared ideas. Sherry, that IS THE ICING RECIPE I'm using. I found 2 by Wilton.....one calls for butter and shortening, I think and the other just butter.....if my memory is right. :D