Menu

If you have videogame system, what rating do you allow your 14yo to play

To me the rating is just part of it. For example, I would be more inclined to let a 14 yo. play an "M" rated RPG or war/strategy (of fantasy, historical, or sci fi genre in particular) than an "M" rated first-person shooter or a game like Grand Theft Auto, the very premise of which I find rather repugnant.

Some such games also have setting adjustments where, for example, you can go in and decide how much gore you want to actually show. I'd put them on lower settings for bloodiness factor.

To me the rating is just part of it. For example, I would be more inclined to let a 14 yo. play an "M" rated RPG or war/strategy (of fantasy, historical, or sci fi genre in particular) than an "M" rated first-person shooter or a game like Grand Theft Auto, the very premise of which I find rather repugnant.

I agree.

I would honestly try renting them and playing them myself/watch the dh play before letting my child play. I don't have a problem with say..the Medal of Honor games but other games are definitely more gorey, are more killing for the sake of killing, etc. The game rating just doesn't tell enough of the story imo.

I agree.

I would honestly try renting them and playing them myself/watch the dh play before letting my child play. I don't have a problem with say..the Medal of Honor games but other games are definitely more gorey, are more killing for the sake of killing, etc. The game rating just doesn't tell enough of the story imo.

Yup.

I find the ratings for video games a lot less reliable than the ratings for movies -- and I think we all know that those can be misleading. My own kids are younger, and I can't think of an M game I'd let them play, but there are T games I have no problem with, and E games that I think have absolutely no redeeming value. Unfortunately, the ratings just aren't all that helpful. (As a starting point, maybe, but beyond that...)

Is your dh playing these M games *too* -- especially *with* your son? In that case, I'd be more inclined to allow them (assuming you and your dh are relatively near the same page with regard to most parenting decisions / parameters). If he's not playing them at all and doesn't know the content any better than you do, I think you've got a problem on your hands. Some of the M games are pretty offensive (in a variety of ways, depending on what you consider "acceptable").

I hate to say it, but you may have to play the games. Or watch when your dh plays.

Going by ratings alone is unlikely to be useful.

We have one game rated "M" that my ds (14 in a month) and dh play. I don't care for it because I don't like the bloodiness of it, but they like it so I stay out of it.

We have 2 games rated "T" (Guitar Hero and Legend of Zelda) and the rest of our games are rated "E".

I agree with others who have said that going by the ratings alone is not always accurate. It is a factor in our decision on buying/playing games, but it is not the only one.