Menu

Gangsta -- is it a person's name?

If you saw a person responding to an employment ad using the word Gangsta, what would you think of?

PS -- This isn't his real name, but it's his email name.

[i am going through ad responses and writing up information on those who have experience with the equipment and such. I figure this will make it much easier when my dh comes home. He won't have to weed through all of the emails.]

Edited by nestof3

Honestly? Based on where I live, I'd think of a middle-class white kid from the 'burbs who watched too much MTV and was trying to emulate a lifestyle. I'm not sure where you live, though, so YMMV.

I wouldn't hold it against the kid, and would all other factors considered would give him a shot at the job.

Is this a kid? If it is they may need some guidance in how to apply to jobs. It may be cultural. I had a sweet Mexican boy in my house lovingly call me a Chola. I probably spelled that wrong. It means gangster girl I believe.

Edited by True Blue

If you saw a person responding to an employment ad using the word Gangsta, what would you think of?

PS -- This isn't his real name, but it's his email name.

I would think that this was a person who had not learned fundamental lessons about presenting oneself in a professional way. I might still grant an interview, but maybe not. It would depend on what sort of job it was.

But he would need to be very clear that conducting any business using that personal email would be considered completely out of line.

Just mho.

What kind of job is it? If it's manual labor I would give him a chance in an interview.

It is manual labor, but he isn't qualified because we specifically required one year experience in the industry using commercial-grade equipment. He's never done lawn care at all.

My dh isn't looking to train someone.

He just hired someone who in one week needed two days off from work for custody hearings and then called this morning to say his grandmother died in the night so he couldn't work. He was also far less proficient with the equipment than he had indicated.

Two helpers before this, we had a suicidal drug addict who always needed time off for court appearances (due to traffic violations including DUI) and time off for multiple ultrasounds for his girlfriend's baby. He even lied to us saying his mom washed his paycheck in his pants therefore he wanted us to issue him a new one. It turns out his mother took the paycheck from him so he couldn't buy drugs.

It has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. :tongue_smilie:

What kind of job is it? If it's manual labor I would give him a chance in an interview.

:iagree:

I assumed it was, and based my original answer on that assumption. I think it's myopic to rule someone out on lack of professionalism for a non-professional job (in the economic sense) - particularly if one's pool is limited to begin with. It's something that could be addressed, perhaps suggested, in an interview.

It reminds me of a thread I read here fairly recently about a poster who had preconceived notions about a neighbor of hers based on this neighbor's appearance. After a natural disaster, she had opportunity for personal interaction with this person and posted to say she was wrong for judging that particular book by his cover. Wish I rememered the details, but that's the gist.

It is manual labor, but he isn't qualified because we specifically required one year experience in the industry using commercial-grade equipment. He's never done lawn care at all.

He just hired someone who in one week needed two days off from work for custody court date hearings and then called this morning to say his grandmother died in the night so he couldn't work.

Two helpers before this, we had a suicidal drug addict who always needed time off for court appearances (due to traffic violations including DUI) and time off for multiple ultrasounds for his girlfriend's baby. He even lied to us saying his mom washed his paycheck in his pants therefore he wanted us to issue him a new one. It turns out his mother took the paycheck from him so he couldn't buy drugs.

Oh my goodness. I hope you find someone for the job. Are people just not interested in it, or are the experienced ones already content in another job? You have to do what is right for your business & family. :grouphug:

He just hired someone who in one week needed two days off from work for custody hearings and then called this morning to say his grandmother died in the night so he couldn't work. He was also far less proficient with the equipment than he had indicated.

Oh, I completely understand. You would be amazed at some of the scenarios my dh has had to deal with. Some of them are completely crazy.

I assumed it was, and based my original answer on that assumption. I think it's myopic to rule someone out on lack of professionalism for a non-professional job (in the economic sense) - particularly if one's pool is limited to begin with. It's something that could be addressed, perhaps suggested, in an interview.

That's what I was thinking.

I can see why your dh would want someone with experience. BUT, your dh might get a better working by training someone. When you train someone, then they are trained to perform the way you want them to. Sometimes it's harder to correct bad habits than to start fresh.

:iagree: But, have you been on the hiring end? You wouldn't believe the stories I could tell from my experience.

From our experience, if you cannot muster up a little professionalism in the beginning, there will be absolutely none on work day.

My dh is a real softy when it comes to hiring. He has a big heart for people. But, it has gotten him used every single time.

It reminds me of a thread I read here fairly recently about a poster who had preconceived notions about a neighbor of hers based on this neighbor's appearance. After a natural disaster, she had opportunity for personal interaction with this person and posted to say she was wrong for judging that particular book by his cover. Wish I rememered the details, but that's the gist.

I can see why your dh would want someone with experience. BUT, your dh might get a better working by training someone. When you train someone, then they are trained to perform the way you want them to. Sometimes it's harder to correct bad habits than to start fresh.

He tried that once. You run the risk of having your lawns dug up by the power mower. Once that happens, the lawn is ruined until reseeding in the fall.

So far, he has helped two people start their own lawn businesses -- one from scratch, but he was a friend of ours. The other had experience; in fact, he just left at the end of last season to start his own company.

I have to disagree. Manual labor or not, any adult who has ever held a job should have the sense to know that's not an appropriate email address to put on a resume or an application. It's just not. And especially in this economy, when jobs are so far and few between, you'd think that people would be more aware of things like this, if they're in that desperate need of a job.

I have to disagree. Manual labor or not, any adult who has ever held a job should have the sense to know that's not an appropriate email address to put on a resume or an application. It's just not. And especially in this economy, when jobs are so far and few between, you'd think that people would be more aware of things like this, if they're in that desperate need of a job.

I want to agree with this, but experience has taught me otherwise. You would be surprised how normal this would be for some parts of society. One of my BIL would see nothing wrong with this. We would need to explain it to him, and maybe he would listen, maybe not. I don't think he would understand what the problem is, since to him their is nothing wrong with words like gangsta and thug.:confused: So sad.

I would still think twice though. These are things that must be learned. One way or another.

Danielle

He's 28

I would not hire him. For the very reason you stated.

:iagree: But, have you been on the hiring end? You wouldn't believe the stories I could tell from my experience.

From our experience, if you cannot muster up a little professionalism in the beginning, there will be absolutely none on work day.

My dh is a real softy when it comes to hiring. He has a big heart for people. But, it has gotten him used every single time.

:iagree: If you can't be bothered to fake it in order to get a job, you won't be bothered to even try for it at the job.

Are there any local getting unemployed adults back into work type schemes in your area. My idea being that my brother is currently on something like this in Horticulture one day a week (he is a long term temp and fed up with it) and they obviously get training and have tutors who maybe could give a reference on a persons reliability and character or recommend someone they know with relevant experience?

I would think it means he likes rap music. (My husband loves rap music). I would try not to judge him on something so silly as an email name, unless it was a truly offensive one, and if it seemed like the content of his email, resume, what have you was worth following up on with an interview, I'd follow up with an interview.

I just want to make sure people understand. I am not saying I would assume a person with the name Gangsta would rob me.

But, when I have 50 applicants to sift through, the only thing I have are first impressions.

When a person says "thank u" instead of "thank you," it is impossible to NOT let that affect my reaction. If he had the experience, I would still consider hiring him, BUT if I had two with equal qualifications and one showed up with pants hanging off the rear end (this happens a lot), uses text speak in his application, and has the name gangsta while the other was, well, the opposite, it would affect the final decision.

FWIW, the man last hired has several tattoos and looks a little rough. This didn't affect his hiring. What affects things now is him needing three days off in the first week and the fact that he didn't have much experience after all.

Our customers (all private homeowners; we don't have business accounts) expect their lawns to be taken care of each week. Saying, "Sorry, but we didn't get to it because our helper couldn't work" doesn't cut it. It's like UPS saying, "Sorry, but we cannot deliver your packages with two-day shipping because so and so had many appointments this week.

It all comes down to my husband's credibility and testimony.

(Of course things happen, and that is understood. My dh has never once said "no" to a request to time off.)

Sorry, no interview by me, if that is what you put on a resume/application. It shows lack of professional attitude and personal appearance. I know your dh needs a laborer, but how this man presents himself, is and extension of your business. Email addresses are easy to get. Even if it is a generic JoeC2345.

It reminds me of when dd4's bio-dad gave the judge his email address in court. It was a version of Drunksincemorning.xxx (I don't want to give out his real email). He was also using it for job applications. His facebook page 'about me' profile was full of similar type of content. He was in his mid 20s at the time.

My family (nuclear and extended) all own restaurants. I managed one during my years in college, and worked in others on and off my entire life. That's how I knew I never wanted to own my own business, or be anything other than a peon at somebody else's LOL. I wanted to show up, punch in, work, punch out, go home without bringing work home with me :D I totally empathize with your situation, and know you've got some stories to tell!

Your business, obviously, differs from ours. Our guy messes up, the dish is brought back to the kitchen and re-done. Can't do that with a lawn. FWIW we've always had our lawns done and have had the same guy for almost 15 years now. We've seen his guys come and go over the years, and -- because my family/culture is similar to his, we recognize it in his -- we've known that sometimes he has had to hire people who weren't the best for the job simply because he was oligated to (family, friend, etc.) We have a relationship with our guy, so the occasional understandable error was acceptable. I realize not all clients will tolerate this, though, and that your husband's reputation is very important to maintain. I know it's not always possible to take chances on employees.

Addressing other posts, now - I hate to make this a class issue, but I think it's important to consider. Common sense isn't as common as the name implies, AND schools don't always teach these things (families, perhaps, aren't able or insightful enough to). Unprofessional in terms of using one's email address to apply for a job is different (to me) than unprofessional in terms of showing up chewing gum like it's cud and generally having an unprofessional demeanor. I think there's a scale, and that on the email side of the scale could be more like ... unawareness. Same as it might be for the guy who comes to the interview saying, "I got them" or "I don't got none." when asked for references. It's probably unprofessional in one sense, but - not intentionally so. To me, that matters.

Sounds like you guys are in a rough spot, and I'm sure the stress is taking its toll all around. Sometimes it feels like you're looking for that needle in the haystack, but it sounds like your haystack is shrinking (good grief, what a bad run of guys you had!) so hopefully things change soon.