Menu

? about my son's eye, blocked tear duct ...

My ds has a blocked tear duct. Very common in persons with down syndrome. It regularly has discharge and looks like he has pink eye. I have had to get doctor's notes stating that is not the case. So, we changed opthamologists and had an appointment to discuss the issue. For various reasons we are not pursuing surgery at this time. We will probably do it in a few years, but it doesn't makes sense for our ds right now. In the mean time I've come to realize I need to regularly flush his eye to keep goop from building up.

Is there a method or product I should be using? I've been spraying him in the face with our shower head during baths and well, ds gets a bit upset with me. Actually, he gets very upset that I'm trying to keep him in one place and spraying him in the face. Rubbing the area with a washcloth gets a worse reaction and seems to be harsher on the sensitive skin around the eye. Ds is ten, if that makes a difference.

one of my son's had a blocked tear duct when he was a baby...if I remember correctly the doctor told me to massage the area everytime he nursed...let's see if I can describe how...put your finger by the inner corner of his eye, push gently and rub in a circle a few time and then firmly (not causing pain) pull your finger down the side of his nose, gently pulling on the skin....go all the way down the side of his nose. I did that at least a dozen times (each nursing) for a couple weeks (if I remember correctly)...but what I do remember is one day I felt it give way...and that was it...no more problems. Did that make any sense??

Totally off topic, but when I worked for a medical health insurance company, we got a claim for what looked to be an eye exam, so we denied it with instructions to send to their vision insurance company.

The doctor's office called to clarify the diagnosis and the customer service rep sent me (the adjuster) the corrected diagnosis. Only she had horrible spelling and wrote, "Block teak duck." And she didn't tell me that this was a new dx. I just got an "adjustment request" with the words "block teak duck" on it.

I stared at what she wrote for a while and did figure it out eventually, but it was kinda funny....

...maybe you had to be there. I fixed the claim, but wrote back to the csr that maybe ducks should be covered under veterinarian insurance. She didn't think my response was funny.

Anytime someone talks about blocked tear ducts, I think of that block teak duck.

Edited by Garga

Totally off topic, but when I worked for a medical health insurance company, we got a claim for what looked to be an eye exam, so we denied it with instructions to send to their vision insurance company.

The doctor's office called to clarify the diagnosis and the customer service rep sent me (the adjuster) the corrected diagnosis. Only she had horrible spelling and wrote, "Block teak duck." And she didn't tell me that this was a new dx. I just got an "adjustment request" with the words "block teak duck" on it.

I stared at what she wrote for a while and did figure it out eventually, but it was kinda funny....

...maybe you had to be there. I fixed the claim, but wrote back to the csr that maybe ducks should be covered under veterinarian insurance. She didn't think my response was funny.

Anytime someone talks about blocked tear ducts, I think of that block teak duck.

I would have thought it was funny. Some people just take their jobs way too seriously.

one of my son's had a blocked tear duct when he was a baby...if I remember correctly the doctor told me to massage the area everytime he nursed...let's see if I can describe how...put your finger by the inner corner of his eye, push gently and rub in a circle a few time and then firmly (not causing pain) pull your finger down the side of his nose, gently pulling on the skin....go all the way down the side of his nose. I did that at least a dozen times (each nursing) for a couple weeks (if I remember correctly)...but what I do remember is one day I felt it give way...and that was it...no more problems. Did that make any sense??

We had to do the massage for my dd. She ended up having surgery when she was about 18 months to open it up. She wore glasses too and even had to patch one eye to make the other stronger(we patched when she was in 2 grade). She is 14 now and doesn't even need glasses(weird because before she was so blind without them).

I have an eye condition in which the oil glands rimming my eyes get plugged up. Warm (actually, the hotter the better) compresses morning and evening are very soothing, but I also usually have to press on the lids to get the oil flowing.

Would the tear duct be blocked the same way, with oily material? Or something that might soften with warmth?

Fish oil supplements are very helpful for thinning the secretions that give me trouble, perhaps that may also help your son's condition. Lots of water, too, every day. I'm not good at drinking enough when it's cold out.

FWIW, I would get mad, too, with the shower spray treatment. Maybe with the compresses he will lie close to you and you can read or listen to some favorite music or an audiobook for a while the warmth is applied.

My opthamologist recommended putting rice in a clean sock and heating it in the microwave (30 seconds or so). My child loved this. After, I usually sent him in for a warm bath and had him scrub his face with one of those spa netted puffs (name???).

I will have to try the rice-sock idea. Sounds easier than a drippy washcloth!

OP, perhaps you already know this, but Johnson's baby shampoo is good for washing the eyelashes.