Menu

Abandoned newborn kitten question

Keep it warm. A heating pad works good under some towels. Make a nest with the towels so it helps keep the heat in. I would set the heating pad on low. You can buy replacement formula for kittens and feed it with a dropper or you can buy a bottle. Hope that helps.

They need to be fed about every 2-3 hours. Just like a human newborn. Keep warm w/ heating pad under a towel or blanket, or w/ small heat lamp. Make sure it's not too hot though! Put a soft, stuffed animal in w/it for it to cuddle up to. Wipe bottom w/ soft, damp, warm towel to stimulate it to go to bathroom-before or just after you feed it. If it survives, it will start having bigger bowel movements at about 3 wks of age, but you still need to do this everyday until they are litter box trained, which can be about 4 weeks. hth and Good Luck!

The pet section at Walmart has the bottles and kittie milk replacement at a reasonable price. Just wipe the kitties bottom with a warm cloth to stimulate it to go to the bathroom.

We had three abandoned kittens in our barn this winter. They all did fine and are my "babies" now. :001_smile:

The pet section at Walmart has the bottles and kittie milk replacement at a reasonable price. Just wipe the kitties bottom with a warm cloth to stimulate it to go to the bathroom.

We had three abandoned kittens in our barn this winter. They all did fine and are my "babies" now. :001_smile:

The closest Walmart is an hour and a half away :confused: We live in a very rural area. We just got baby formula but I think it is going to die :crying: Just the way its acting we don't think it will make it

OK feeling dumb- to stimulate it to go to the bathroom do we just rub it with a cotton swab or something?

Use a sterile cotton ball and massage its anal and genital areas after each meal. You'll need to do this until the kitten is about four weeks old. You will also need to teach it out to groom itself when it get old enough using a warm, damp washcloth to mimic a momma cat's tongue. I haven't actually had to do this, but did some research when we rescued our cat because I wasn't sure if she knew how to do it all yet.

As others said, regulate the cat's temperature. Set up a clean, warm nesting box (i.e., cardboard box, Rubbermaid container) with a heating pad.

Get some KMR kitten formula and a dropper while it's tiny (a baby animal bottle as it gets bigger). Do not feed it milk.

It is very important to keep the kitten and its environment clean as small kittens are very susceptible to illness.

Since this kitten is so young and this is the first time you have nursed a very newborn kitten, I would recommend taking it to the vet ASAP as well.

Good luck! You and your family are doing a great thing by nursing an abandoned kitten!

EDIT: I didn't see your above post before replying. If you can't get to WalMart or a pet supply store yet, go to the grocery store and get Pedialyte and a dropper. It will work in a pinch. But find some KMR as soon as you can. DO NOT GIVE THE KITTEN INFANT FORMULA. The iron and protein content is too high in most formulas and cats cannot digest lactose. Canned, evaporated milk will also work in a pinch (it has a much lower lactose content than plain cow's milk).

Edited by mhgillil

Because PP is absolutely correct:

EDIT: I didn't see your above post before replying. If you can't get to WalMart or a pet supply store yet, go to the grocery store and get Pedialyte and a dropper. It will work in a pinch. But find some KMR as soon as you can. DO NOT GIVE THE KITTEN INFANT FORMULA. The iron and protein content is too high in most formulas and cats cannot digest lactose. Canned, evaporated milk will also work in a pinch (it has a much lower lactose content than plain cow's milk).

If you really want to ensure the vitality of this kitten, it might be worth the drive to Walmart or a Petco to get the best food for the kitten, especially if the little one isn't doing well. I am NOT trying to guilt. We got our cat at 3 days old and had to go through this too. I understand, really, I do.

She died :crying: dd 12 is crushed. I had a feeling though. She didn't look good. Thanks for all the advice though!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

So sorry. We've been through this too. I'm grateful that you and your dd have such big hearts and that this poor kitty spent it's last minutes warm and loved.

If this might come up again, maybe you can prepare and stash away a kitten care kit...just in case.

:grouphug:

• 10 months later...