Menu

Week on of C25K

I think getting through each week is a goal in and of itself. :001_smile:

True. ;)

I was thinking more of later in the year and next year. I asked dh during the cool down if we should think of Boston in 12 or 13. Apparently I'm a bit ambitious. He gave me that look where he thinks I've lost my mind.

I aimed for a 5k. I've done our local 5k twice. This year (in a week!), I'm doing a half marathon.

Training for the half has been great. I've increased my distance and improved my speed. I feel stronger and fitter, and I am already looking past this race and seeing how I can improve myself for another one (probably another 5k, I want to work on speed).

It is nice to have goals. Boston does seem a bit ambitious, but hey, why not, you should go for it. :)

True. ;)

I was thinking more of later in the year and next year. I asked dh during the cool down if we should think of Boston in 12 or 13.

I like your style! :) Heck, I'm running Boston this year, and I did what no one said you "should" do...planned to qualify on my first marathon. And I did it! So, you may be ambitious, but you are not crazy.

I'm with you on the heart attack fears. I tried C25K a while back. The problem is we live in a hilly neighborhood. I truly thought I would die on week 2. My heart rate was so high; it was way past training level and approaching maximum! So I gave up; I didn't know what else to do...it seems silly to DRIVE to a flat area to do the training. Previously to trying C25K, I walked the neighborhood at least 3x/week; you'd think that my cardio capacity would have increase to allow me to jog the hills a little. But no.

So I am back to walking my hilly streets.

On a positive note, I had a nurse doing a health assessment recently. I told her I walk 4x/week and do yoga 2x/week. After another minute of questions, she went back to her chart and said, "OK, so your lifestyle is very active" and I said, "No, I would say it's only moderately active." She said "Anything over 3x/week exercising is VERY active." :001_huh: So I was glad she was giving me "credit" but it felt like a rather low bar.

I think getting through each week is a goal in and of itself. :001_smile:

Congratulations on making it through week one. I think the hardest thing is to get started.

Ain't THAT the truth!! I am on Week 2 Day 2 and I feel Fan-freakin'-tastic!!! :D

Having friends who support you is helpful, even if I DO have a friend....who shall remain nameless,but who has represented herself on this very thread....who, when asked if she wanted to train for a marathon together said, "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!" :smilielol5: (and do keep in mind that when I posted that question to her I could scarcely run from hither to yon without crying.)

But, still, it's good to have supportive friends. :tongue_smilie:

Ain't THAT the truth!! I am on Week 2 Day 2 and I feel Fan-freakin'-tastic!!! :D

Having friends who support you is helpful, even if I DO have a friend....who shall remain nameless,but who has represented herself on this very thread....who, when asked if she wanted to train for a marathon together said, "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!" :smilielol5: (and do keep in mind that when I posted that question to her I could scarcely run from hither to yon without crying.)

But, still, it's good to have supportive friends. :tongue_smilie:

I am going to have to agree with your friend, whomever she is. Training for a marathon is NUTS!

Congrats! If you have to, repeat a week at first. I did that the first few weeks and it helped me from getting some major muscle issues.

I agree. I had a tough time at week three, so I did it twice.

I currently run on a treadmill for my workouts, and I find that I have trouble with my pacing outside. When I finish these 9 weeks inside, I will back up and repeat the last few weeks outdoors.

True. ;)

I was thinking more of later in the year and next year. I asked dh during the cool down if we should think of Boston in 12 or 13. Apparently I'm a bit ambitious. He gave me that look where he thinks I've lost my mind.

Well, my dh thought I had sort of lost it when I started c25k last summer. . . but a few weeks later, I managed to drag him out and he started about 8 weeks behind me. So, that was late October. . . A few months ago, when I started talking about a half marathon (13 miles) this Spring, he said he'd be happy with 5-6 miles and that was good enough for him. . .

Well, he ran 14 miles this past Sunday, in under 2hr40min. And he's considering my fall goal of a first marathon. :)

Sooo, you never know what will happen once folks get started with this running thing. I never would have imagined I'd want to run a half, or a full, or just LOVE to run the way I do. I am nursing my first significant injury and have been off running for almost 3 weeks (having been up to 25 miles a week with a 10 mile long run), and it is INSANELY upsetting to me. I mean insanely. I mean, I will do anything to run again. (And have been. . . Yoga, Sports Med DR, Phys Therapy. . .) I know for sure I will run again soon, and be stronger than ever, and do my half by June for sure, even if I can't make the Apr 17 one I signed up for. I know it, because it is THAT important to me.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And take care of those legs!)

:)

I started running and was happily running 3K, but then my booKs became to much for me. I am currently having trouble with breast cysts and had one booK grow up a size and a half. My current smallest measurements are a size 32 E (on one side) and D (the other side). I actually quit running. I had tired sports bras, layers of bras, ....

But then I brought a very expensive bra from a running store. It forms my booKs into one solid mass (Which is good since it hides the fact that one is bigger then the other) but I am now happily running again. I did 5K in 33 minutes yesterday.

So I'm not sure how big your booKs are, but I wish you luck finding that perfect bra.

I came out of puberty with DDD's, then when I was nursing they were H. I've settled into a solid 36G now. It doesn't matter how you squeeze 'em into a sports bra, there is still going to be movement.

That's funny, because I was a double D after puberty. When I was nursing my youngest I got a G, but out grew that, and was to cheap to buy a bigger size. I was likely a H. :) So I know big booKs. I am happy that I'm not that big anymore. Mind you my one booK . ???

I know when my booKs were causing me the most trouble I just switched to different activities. Long before kids I use to swim, I think it is a great sport for those with big booKs.

Yes, built in buoys do help with swimming. :lol:

Many women runners with large books swear by wearing two layers of sports bras. Mine do fine with one good bra, but doubling up seems like a popular option among serious runners with serious libraries, lol.

Yep. I'm a DD, bordering on DDD and I wear an old ugly (supportive) bra with a very tight sportsbra on top of that. There is NO movement whatsoever. When I was bigger (H, while nursing my oldest) I wore the same set-up that I just wrote about with a unitard over the whole shebang......then a pair of running pants over THAT. It was a lot of layers, but ZERO movement.

I agree. I had a tough time at week three, so I did it twice.

I currently run on a treadmill for my workouts, and I find that I have trouble with my pacing outside. When I finish these 9 weeks inside, I will back up and repeat the last few weeks outdoors.

That's so good to hear, Crissy, since I will probably do the same thing. My first day of Week 3 was great. (Well, hard, but good.) Day 2 was miserable. Day 3 was better, but I don't think I'm ready for 4. I'm going to try it Sunday, but am expecting to repeat Week 3.

When I finish, I think I'll start the whole thing over and work on speed. (And by speed, I mean moving from snail to turtle, maybe.)

True. ;)

Well, I started C25K last July. I ran my first 10K at the end of October. And I ran (well, lol, I ran 5 min, walked 1 min) my first Half Marathon at the end of February. It was *hard* and I felt like I was pushing myself pretty hard the whole time (well, I was out of running for about 6 weeks there because of flu and the aftermath of flu), but it was also doable...

Boston requires that you not only run the marathon, but that you run it *fast*. ;) Maybe *start* with a different one in mind?

Anyway, I had NEVER run a mile without stopping before last July. I was an athletic kid and teen, but I was NOT a runner. I'm completely *amazed* by what I've been able to do, just following C25K (and then other training programs).

Since the Half, I've sort of felt like I was starting over again. ... Til I realized yesterday that I may be starting over, but I'm running at least 50% faster than I was last summer, lol.