Menu

Where did you hear about your Homeschool Co-op?

Hi There,

I am racking my brain trying to think of where to put out information about our Homeschool Co-op. Some get the area's "Christian Newsletter" but many of the homeschoolers who are "newish" to the area, do not. In fact, most homeschoolers that have started say... in the last 5-10 yrs... don't.... I have put up the flyer at say... the local Grocery Store etc....

I'm just trying to reach ...well... everyone!! ;)

So, there's the question... How did you find out about your Co-op? Any great ideas??

Thanks!!

Hi There,

I am racking my brain trying to think of where to put out information about our Homeschool Co-op. Some get the area's "Christian Newsletter" but many of the homeschoolers who are "newish" to the area, do not. In fact, most homeschoolers that have started say... in the last 5-10 yrs... don't.... I have put up the flyer at say... the local Grocery Store etc....

I'm just trying to reach ...well... everyone!! ;)

So, there's the question... How did you find out about your Co-op? Any great ideas??

Thanks!!

Post flyers at thrift shops, book stores and libraries in the geographic area you are targeting.

I looked mostly on the internet - first I found yahoo groups, then a meet-up group, then a few others.

I found my mom's club through our local newspaper so I guess that is another option. I would recommend putting an email as contact information (along with a phone number). A lot of people will write for information before they will take the time to make a phone call.

When I go to the grocery store dragging two little children, I rarely stop to look at the postings.

I agree with all of the above. We also have a local buy-sell-trade yahoo group that allows posting for organization meetings. I would search yahoo to see if any groups would allow you to do that. I know that our group leaders say they get many requests for information from yahoo group searches, and from the library. The other place is thru HSLDA and the state homeschool organization. Our state groups have co-op names and contacts on a registry of sorts. The state group says they receive calls daily looking for co-ops.

I would make sure you also have an up to date website that is easily found with common search engines. I found out about the one I use from another parent at dd's dance class. However, in the past I had searched for local coops online and had found an out of date website for that coop so I thought they no longer existed.

How did you find out about your Co-op? Any great ideas??

By the time I was homeschooling, everyone who was homeschooling in Cary knew about the co-op we go to. So I don't really remember how I found out about it - probably word of mouth. I don't want to say it's the best but it does seem to be the most popular. I'm not sure how I got in the first time I tried either. There are many people who try to get in 3 or 4 times before they finally make it.

There is also a well-know yahoo group for local homeschool things. I'd advertise there if you have one. We have one homeschool book store, definitely put a flyer up there.

Our co-op is part of our support group. We live in a very small community. One way we have tried to reach out to new homeschoolers is by making up information packets. We have given these packets to the local school board liaison and to our local librarians. The librarians have given several of the packets out. I don't know about the packets given to the school board. HTH