Menu

Am I missing something about Plaid Phonics?

Aspasia

MCP Plaid Phonics workbooks are 300 pages long and the first one appears to cover all the material that is covered in Explode the Code books A, B, C, 1, 2, and half of 3. Granted, there may be a little less repetition. For example, the short vowel coverage in ETC is about 100 pages (all of Book 1), while Plaid's short vowel coverage is about 80 pages. Still, it has 300 pages and is only about $3 more.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something or if I just don't understand something. Why is ETC so much more popular if Plaid seems to be a better deal?

I think ETC has little distraction. Some kids are very distracted by all the color on the Plaid books. I used the Plaid books all the time with ETC in the beginning. Often I would cut up the pages of the Plaid book to make a game. I have also used the Plaid workbooks for upper level studies - great for suffixes and prefixes.

We've used some ETC books (Before the Code A-C and the first four levels of ETC), but now my ds6 and dd6 are finishing up Plaid Phonics A. They are much more motivated to do Plaid than they were for ETC. The pictures are clearer than ETC, I think. There are more poems and stories to read, but not as many direct questions that rely on reading. I think I'm going to stick with Plaid.

We used to use ETC, but we now use Plaid Phonics in conjunction with Spelling Workout. My dc actually found ETC a bit confusing - it didn't explain the rules to them as well Plaid Phonics. I guess that's just a matter of the way you think.

Anyway.. our PP-SWO combo seems to work really well, so I'm happy!

With my youngest I purchased some of the ETC books and they were awful. The pages are unattractive in layout and the pictures are unclear. I could make something that looks better using the simple paint program on my computer.

We moved on to CLE LTR and CLE LA/ Reading 1st with the provided 1st grade schedule using everything including all the giant flashcards in K and then to MCP Plaid Phonics C in 1st. This year we are using MCT Plaid Word Study D in 2nd. I have enjoyed the scope of material, the wording of the spelling guidelines, and the clarity of the pictures used to represent the phonics. Also, I wanted something that I could use instead of a formal spelling program prior to 3rd grade. MCP Plaid Phonics fit the bill.

In February we began using Spelling Plus. This is the first time that my 8yo/2nd grader has had spelling lists, but he spells very well. Part of this may be innate ability, but I attribute a huge chuck of it to the clarity of the phonics and the spelling guidelines he received in CLE LTR and then in MCP Plaid Phonics.

However, since we will be continuing with Spelling Plus, I don't think we will use MCP Plaid Word Study E next year. I am considering Spectrum's Word Study and Phonics grade 5, because it spends more time covering word structure, vocabulary, and dictionary skills/ word origins. Plus, Spectrum is cheaper and contains the answer key.

If I were going to use MCP SWO for spelling, I would continue with MCP Plaid Word Study.

HTH-

Mandy

ok here is another question:

the differnce in the editions is: ??

2003 edition, kaola bear on it http://www.rainbowresource.com/cartdetail.php?sid=1300805732-1142032&id=023940 -- 8.50

and

1998 http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Plaid+Phonics+K+%281998+Edition%29/004831/1300805732-1142032 roo and kite on teh cover -- is 13.75

ok i don't really care about that small a $ differnce, buttttt i doesn't understand it and am afraid i am missing something.

ok here is another question:

the differnce in the editions is: ??

2003 edition, kaola bear on it http://www.rainbowresource.com/cartdetail.php?sid=1300805732-1142032&id=023940 -- 8.50

and

1998 http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Plaid+Phonics+K+%281998+Edition%29/004831/1300805732-1142032 roo and kite on teh cover -- is 13.75

ok i don't really care about that small a $ differnce, buttttt i doesn't understand it and am afraid i am missing something.

We have used everything from the 1993 to the 2003 editions & the differences are very minor. I personally prefer the older b&w editions.