Menu

You know that silly belief about homeschoolers sleeping in?

The one that asks how they will ever be able to get up for a job if they don't set an alarm and get up every day? I know there are articles that squash that myth, just like there are articles about the socialization myth, but I'm coming up empty in a search. Can you point me to something? There is a person in our family who needs to hear that it's a myth, and they need to hear it from someone who isn't me. :)

The one that asks how they will ever be able to get up for a job if they don't set an alarm and get up every day? I know there are articles that squash that myth, just like there are articles about the socialization myth, but I'm coming up empty in a search. Can you point me to something? There is a person in our family who needs to hear that it's a myth, and they need to hear it from someone who isn't me. :)

I don't have the evidence you are looking for, but honestly, unless that family member is going to financially support your child in later years, why should he/she care?

Maybe your child is going to work in a hospital in later years and this sleep pattern will benefit him/her.

Only the Lord knows our future. He gave you to be the parent of this particular child for a reason.

I don't have the evidence you are looking for, but honestly, unless that family member is going to financially support your child in later years, why should he/she care?

Maybe your child is going to work in a hospital in later years and this sleep pattern will benefit him/her.

Only the Lord knows our future. He gave you to be the parent of this particular child for a reason.

:iagree: I went to public school all 14 years (1-12, plus preK and K...) and I still have a hard time getting up early in the mornings. Some people are naturally night owls, some people are naturally early morning people.

Don't have an article on hand, but I have 2 living, breathing examples of this. I never set a time for my boys to get up in all our years of homeschooling, and yes, as teens they slept in and we'd start homeschooling late morning or early afternoon.

One has held a job for over a year now that has required he be on time in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes going to work a mere 10 hours after leaving the last shift. He has never been late and he had to rely on public transportation, too.

The other chose to take a 7am math class at the local community college last semester, and he was up and ready to go every morning without fail and all without my having to nag even once.

The key? It is their choice, their responsibility, not some random rule imposed by a parent for no good reason. They'd have to live with the consequences, not me, and they reap the rewards (a paycheck, a good grade.)

It is funny how sleep and work schedules are so important to some people. I had a friend who would put in the same 8 hour work day in a library cataloging department, except she worked from 10 to 6, or 11 to 7, and it drove her co-workers batty because to them it was simply wrong to not start work at 8am!

Don't know if an anecdotal story will help you out, but there you are!

You mean that's a myth?! :lol: We usually get up between 8-8:30am. That's probably sleeping in to a lot of folks :001_smile:. We set an alarm if we need to be somewhere early.

Seriously, though, I don't have an article to direct you to. I just want to encourage you stick by your decisions and not to feel the need to justify it to family members (or anyone, for that matter!). It seems when you forward along articles that support your POV, it just gives nosy people the go ahead to argue with you about it. When they tell you a child won't be able to get up for a job as an adult, remind them of the miraculous invention of an alarm clock and change the subject!

Good luck!

I'm another one who went through the ps and still have a hard time getting up early. However, I *can* and do get up to go somewhere when I've made a commitment.

I was worried about the same thing though with my kids but have finally relaxed and am allowing them to sleep. I'm trying to remember that homeschooling is a lifestyle and we're not boxed into someone else's schedule until/unless we choose to be.

No studies here, but not everyone works from 9 to 5. ;) My father worked 2nd shift at a TV station most of his career. 2:30 to 10:30. He supported a family just fine without ever having to get up at the crack of dawn.

Ds and I are NOT morning people. I don't consider it a handicap in any manner. When he was private school for prek and K we had to be out the door at 7:20 every morning. It was horrid for us both and dh who was getting ready for work. We both function better as late morning people.

There have been studies showing that teens need more sleep, you might google that. I'd rather have my ds be able to sleep in when needed, especially during these extreme growth years.

They make alarm clocks should he need to get up early. It's amazing how quickly a body can adjust when needed. I used to work early morning. Had to get up at 4am and be at work at 6am. I never used an alarm clock, I programmed myself to get up.

Adults do many things that children/teens shouldn't have to. Getting up early just because is one of them, imo. It's a perk of homeschooling. Besides no one wants me teaching anything at 8am, believe me.

What about people who work a 2nd or 3rd shift job? Those people are up and working while some (like your family member) are still asleep.:lol:

I get up at 5 am--but that's "my" day and I don't expect everybody to live by my standards. Sheesh.

I don't wake up my kids before 7:00 am--most times they wake up on their own around 7:30 and we start school around 9 am. I *need* to have the 2 hours of quiet before the storm breaks loose because I'm busy from "sons" up till "sons" down. :lol:

Thanks for the replies. *I* know it isn't necessary to get up early, but I'm tired of hearing it. The funny thing is, (as you can see by my sig) my stepson is a firemedic and his wife is an RN. They both went to public schools and got up early every day. She works 11pm-7am and he works the typical firefighter schedule of 24 hours on, 48 off. And this person, being family, is familiar with their schedules.

My plan is to find an article and post it on my facebook status. That way it will look like I'm just sharing an article I found. :D

I don't have any studies but when people make this comment to me, I usually take the conversation into a discussion about time zones. I point out that I know that there exceptions to every rule but for the general population:

If my child wakes up naturally at 9am PST, that is 6am EST. So, in essence if we moved to the East coast, they would naturally wake up at 6am.

If I move from PST to EST my body will adjust in a few days to what ever schedule I want it to.

When Daylight savings time comes/goes....my body adjusts in a couple of days.

If I move from USA to Japan my body adjusts in a few days/weeks.

If I move to Alaska and have no sunshine for a month...I will still wake up and go to sleep every day, so it isn't solely linked to daylight hours.

Some people have a strong natural rhythm, some do not, and effortlessly move between staying up late and getting up early. This isn't taught, it it biological.

Here, schools starting times are staggered. High school is at 7ish, middle school is at 8ish, elementary is 9ish. As kids get older they have to adjust, to these earlier times....and guess what....every single one of them does it.....naturally.

Adults do it to....when they change jobs, or have children and now have to get them up and ready along with themselves in the morning.

I make a big point to say that waking/sleeping times are variable our entire lives...and we all adjust.

Our bodies adjust to time naturally. For some people, them may take a bit longer to adjust but in a very short period of time....they will.

Waking up and going to sleep are biological, not learned behaviors. Whether you train yourself to get up at a certain time of day or not...you will wake up. If a person wakes/sleeps in some kind of a natural rhythm, their biological system is functioning like it was designed to.

If it comes time for a learned behavior like waking up at a certain time, then they will learn that behavior at that time. Just like if you let a public schooled child sleep in all summer, when it comes time for fall, they will go back to the learned and expected behavior of waking up daily at a certain time.....it will take a few days to readjust....just like the above examples of changing time zones, or moving around the world.

Thanks for the replies. *I* know it isn't necessary to get up early, but I'm tired of hearing it. The funny thing is, (as you can see by my sig) my stepson is a firemedic and his wife is an RN. They both went to public schools and got up early every day. She works 11pm-7am and he works the typical firefighter schedule of 24 hours on, 48 off. And this person, being family, is familiar with their schedules.

My plan is to find an article and post it on my facebook status. That way it will look like I'm just sharing an article I found. :D

My husband's brother used to drill my kids about their school work. I grew tired of the confrontations and so I kept a list of "talking points" in my head to be able to change the course of the conversation at a moment's notice. It worked every time.

Btw, that same BIL went to our daughter's graduation held by our state's homeschool support group--he was impressed by the many accomplishments of the 101 seniors and has never "drilled" any of my kids ever again.

If this member knows you have children that can get up to go to a job, then they are only antagonizing you and I'd change the subject. I've learned when and how to pick my battles over the years.

Edited by luvtheOzarks

Oh, yeah...I wonder what happened to all those people we know who grew up going to school, presumably having to set their alarm clocks and be on time during the school year, and now that they're adults, canNOT ever, not once, be on time for any event. :glare: Curious, eh?

I don't bother trying to convince people, including family members, of anything. They either get it or they don't. Mostly, even when you give them documented "proof" they don't change their minds. I have too many other things to do that are more important and valuable.

If this member knows you have children that can get up to go to a job, then they are only antagonizing you and I'd change the subject. I've learned when and how to pick my battles over the years.

:iagree: This battle may not be a "hill" to die on, kwim? Why post it on the OP's FB page. It really is nobody's business.

I went to ps and have a hard time rising early. I've homeschooled all my children since they were born so they've never had any other type of education. Ds22 works 4-days a week from 5:45am to 6:45pm and must leave the house by 5:15 to get to work on time. He would rather not get up so early, but he has no trouble doing so. Ds23 works 5 days a week from 8-5 and also has no trouble getting himself up and out the door.

We were very relaxed here at home. I did not require them to get up early - we were usually up between 8-9am. This was partly because we could get up then :) and partly because dh works late and the kids always stayed up to spend a little time with him before they went off to bed. Our whole schedule was shifted a bit later than most folks to accommodate dad.

HTH

Guest RecumbentHeart
:iagree: This battle may not be a "hill" to die on, kwim? Why post it on the OP's FB page. It really is nobody's business.

:iagree:emphasis added :D

That's just crazy!! You can reset your body clock for any time that you need to!

:iagree: We do what we want or what we have to -- why do what we don't have to if we don't want to?

It appears to me as absurd to base your sleeping pattern now on what you may need to do in 10 to 15 years.

Please don't validate this craziness by posting anything about it or responding in anyway that could be construed as defensive. If it comes up, just look at them in the stunned way you do when anyone loses their mind suddenly in your presence and then lovingly, gently explain what just happened to them so they can recoup themselves without too much loss of pride.

Kathy, it's her problem, not yours. Let her do the research. If she brings it up, just explain that you know that homeschooling is best for your children and you've taken a lot of time to research it. Tell her that when she's finished researching it as much as you have, then you'll be happy to discuss any issues she may still have. Thank her for her concern and interest in your children, and tell her you look forward to having more homeschooling discussions with her when she becomes more informed.

Smile sweetly every time she brings up homeschooling after you tell her that, and ask, "Oh, have you had time to research it? What books or articles have you read?" When she admits none, just tell her you look forward to being able to discuss it with her once she has more time to do her own research. I guarantee she'll stop bringing up issues.

Kathy, it's her problem, not yours. Let her do the research. If she brings it up, just explain that you know that homeschooling is best for your children and you've taken a lot of time to research it. Tell her that when she's finished researching it as much as you have, then you'll be happy to discuss any issues she may still have. Thank her for her concern and interest in your children, and tell her you look forward to having more homeschooling discussions with her when she becomes more informed.

Smile sweetly every time she brings up homeschooling after you tell her that, and ask, "Oh, have you had time to research it? What books or articles have you read?" When she admits none, just tell her you look forward to being able to discuss it with her once she has more time to do her own research. I guarantee she'll stop bringing up issues.

:iagree: You can't run around disproving every idiot notion someone comes up with, it could become a full time job. You're busy providing your children with a fabulous education! :)

I don't know about any studies done, but I am not concerned if we keep a late schedule. I have 2 early risers and 2 that would sleep till noon if I let them. I have to find a balance somewhere. I am not a morning person at all. if I have to be I can, I am confident that my kids can be if they have to as well, they get up early for school as it is now. I plan to relax that A LOT :lol: