Menu

Eating healthy: Please explain organic meats, eggs and dairy...

We have been trying to eat better including organic as much as possible. When it comes to meats, eggs, dairy and milk I am confused. How do I know what is best for us? I just found a local farm that carries organic grass fed meats, etc. It this the way to go?

http://www.alrosas.com/

Yes, pasture-raised meats and dairy are the best, preferably raised organically.

that's what we've chosen... it tastes so much better, but is expensive. the good part of that is that it helps us choose healthier portions of meat ;).

we joined a CSA, and so all our veggies and fruit are organic... only what's in season, but that is fun, too.

hth,

ann

We try to always buy grassfed/pastured meat (grassfed/grass finished is only going to apply to beef; pigs and poultry should have access to pasture and be able to find some of their own food, but they almost always are going to be fed grain, too)...I personally don't worry about organic, particularly if it's a local farm that I can visit and see myself. Getting an organic designation is often prohibitively expensive for small farmers (which means its also going to make their products more expensive for me).

I buy local, hormone-free milk. It's not organic, though. When I make it out to the natural food store, I buy the most delicious, creamy, grass-fed cow milk I've ever tasted. It is organic. When I buy dairy, hormone-free is my top priority. If it is also local or organic, that's a bonus. :)

Yes, I would contend that is the way to go, if you feel you can afford it (and we should all eat less meat, anyway)....

Beef, pork, and poultry raised in large CAFO's is filled with sickness, antibiotics to try to combat that sickness, and the filth associated with huge numbers of animals being raised together. Such meat is also fed an unhealthy and unnatural diet which does not render the meat healthful for you to eat. That is, the meat no longer contains essential ingredients that it did once upon a time that held healthful benefits to human bodies that consumed such meat.

The same thing is now happening to farmed fish, such as trout. They are being kept in dirty conditions and fed an unnatural diet. As such, some farmed fish that once contained very healthful vitamins and nutrients no longer contain those (or in the same amounts, or in a form that can be absorbed by humans, etc.).

Guest kjtmommy3

So this is what I've learned... Grass fed with no added hormones. Some of the smaller local farms will say this but can't claim organic because it cost a lot to declare themselves an organic farm. Also, the best eggs you can buy, next to fresh "organic", are the ones that are hormone free, cage free, Omega 3. I have also, myself, stopped eating pork. I have read and learned and honestly believe God never intended for us to eat pork. That is my personal thought though and I'm still trying to convince my husband to give up his bacon:} Also, learned that the best bread you can eat is sprouted.

Hope you find what is best for your family:}

Kelly

IMHO, the very most important foods to choose organic are meats & dairy.

Reason being is that animals 'bioaccumulate' toxins, heavy metals, etc. . . I.e, the nasty cr@p that is sprayed on grains. . . Say a cow eats 10,000 lb of corn/wheat to gain adult weight of 1000 lb. Say 1 mcg of nasty cr@p Z is in every lb of that grain. . . Well, that means for every 1 lb of meat, you've got the nasty stuff from 10 lb of grain. So, 10x the concentration of bad stuff.

It is a lot more complicated, of course, but that's the general idea. So, in general, the further UP the food chain you are eating, the more important to eat clean. Also, much bad stuff concentrates in fats, so it's even more important when choosing fatty things like dairy.

It stinks, b/c of course organic meats and dairy are pricey.

We eat organic ....... usually the only exceptions I make are for EU products.

For meats I have contacts with people who raise grass-fed meat (bison in our case), lamb and chickens, I buy in bulk and freeze it. This makes it, if not inexpensive, much cheaper than buying it at an organic butcher. I have to order a minimum of 1/8 of a bison but I can usually find someone who is willing to share with me.

According to my friend, who is a naturopath, grass-fed animals have the proper balance of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids, which allows your body to utilize these EFAs. With grain fed cattle, the EFA balance is thrown out of whack and your body cannot absorb what you need.

Organic eggs here are getting very expensive. I've considered getting chickens for our back yard (not legal but I don't think our neighbours will complain). I believe their feed is also linked to if you are getting good or bad cholesterol ...???

I would recommend the book, "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill". Dumb title but the content is excellent. I believe the author has degrees in Zoology, Psychology, Biochemistry and Genetics. It gives you a good understanding of how the feeding and processing of our food alters its structure to make it less bio-available to our bodies and, in some instances, dangerous.

• 1 month later...

There is also some debate about the healthiness of organic milk because it is so ultra pasteurized. I'm not well versed in the reasons behind that though. Anyone who has more knowledge about that want to weigh in?

FYI, not all certified organic milk is ultra-pasteurized. It is often a matter of personal preference (some consumers prefer ultra-pasteurization) and availability.

Until I started looking on Eatwild.com, I had no idea how many local farms around us sold fresh meat, eggs, and raw milk. Now we buy all that from three local farms and it's the best food I've ever had. None are certified organic, but the all follow organic farming practices and raise the animals naturally and humanely. Plus, it's much cheaper to buy it in bulk right fom the source and you know the farmer is getting the money!

FYI, not all certified organic milk is ultra-pasteurized. It is often a matter of personal preference (some consumers prefer ultra-pasteurization) and availability.

We buy organic milk from our local dairy and it is not ultra-pasteurized. I know this because I make hard cheeses and yogurt from it. They do pasteurize but not to the same temp as "ultra."

I'm not quite brave enough to make hard cheese from non-pasteurized cheese but I'm getting there. :)