Menu

Any natural helps for a croupy child?

I really can't stand the thought of dragging three well children to the ped just yet. Can anyone suggest soothers that I can attempt at home? Please? :001_smile:

ETA: Between the barking dd, the barking great dane, and the wailing butterbaby, the ped's office might actually be more peaceful. :rolleyes:

Poor kid.

1. Hot steamy shower on & you hold the kid near the steam.

2. Open up the FREEZer and breath in the cool air.

Hope you find the right treatment. You might also call your ped. or nurse to ask for more suggestions.

The key is to "shock" the lungs. Serve soup, popsicles, hot tea, ice cubes, etc. Expose to steam and cold air. Our second son is 10 and has croup really bad every couple of years. We have learned to notice the signs of it coming on and try to stop it before it gets bad. Setting up a tent with a humidifier inside really helps as well.

I am now considering myself a croup professional. Between my four kids, if I count all the cases, I have dealt with croup... hmmm... (carry the four)... :tongue_smilie: Hmmm... 12 times since September (not counting all the years past).

• Open windows -- cold air (if it's really hot, turn on a fan)
  • cool mist humidifier
  • stand in front of the opened freezer for a while
  • Popsicles - anything nice and cold to shrink the airway
  • Hmmm... Tell it to go away and NEVER come BACK! (props to Gollum.)

My "baby" (2 1/2) had it just last week again and is still hanging on to the tail end of it. I feel your pain! :grouphug:

Homeopathic remedy called Spongia Tosta is THE miracle cure for croup. One dose of these tiny white pellets and my dc are croup-free! Better than steam, cold air, hot air, etc. I know it won't do you any good NOW, but if you can get to a health food store to buy this...do so to have on hand for next time. Spongia Tosta in a little blue vial.

Thanks everyone! I've got another croup case this AM, plus butterbaby sounds a bit raspy. :confused: :willy_nilly:

Now, on Spongia Tosta...is this given at the first sign of barking, so to speak? My local herb shop has it, so I'll pick some up today for sure. Croup seems like the only thing that pops up 'round here from time to time.

I guess I'll have to hang out here all day... :D

One thing I would caution you to look for:

If your child's breathing is so constricted that there are deep indentations in the neck from the force of his sucking, TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE HOSPITAL RIGHT AWAY.

Well that's really true. Croup usually isn't life threatening, but in some rare cases it can be. Good point.

If your child's breathing is so constricted that there are deep indentations in the neck from the force of his sucking, TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE HOSPITAL RIGHT AWAY.

No, nothing at all like that (thank God)...it's just occasional barking, really.

The cold steam last night didn't really help, but the steamy bathroom this AM helped a bunch. Dee-aitch is fetching Spongia Tosta and Dr. Christopher's salve shtuff on the way home. And Mike's for me. ;)

Thanks again! :001_smile: