Menu

Spanish program when Mom doesn't speak it?

JeneralMom

So, I gave my kids the option of learning either French or Spanish first (they will eventually do both), assuming they would pick French because they already understand some, and I speak it to them in bits and pieces. But, alas, they chose Spanish. I do not speak Spanish other than a few words here and there. What is the best beginning Spanish program for little kids (7, 6, 4, and 2) when Mom doesn't really know much of the language?

There are many options, but here is one that is free, online and can get you started...

KnowitAll offers 4 Spanish video programs. The order is this:

First Step Spanish

(~~optional: First Step Spanish Again)

Next Step in Spanish

Another Step in Spanish

We're going to start using these videos soon in our Spanish program. They have manuals online you can read as PDF or print too.

There are many other sources, and if you want more options (online, books, products, etc) I'll be happy to post them, but sometimes I find that 'less is more' when you're uncertain about a topic/subject.

I have a ton of Childrens Learning Spanish books that I could recommend if you prefer that route.

Good luck.

. . . .And for something inexpensive for Mom, try Getting Started with Spanish.

I, too, know French (although I was never fluent) and some of the native Spanish speakers around me have giggled at my attempt at speaking their language because I tend to do it "with a French accent."

I'm combining GSWS with Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day. S10D adds the accent/vocabulary to GSWS's grammar & basics.

You'll find you recognize a lot of the words & "idea" because French & Spanish are built from the same basic language, both being Romance languages.

Just be careful not to pass along your French accent when you are trying to say something in Spanish. :tongue_smilie:

I know it's spendy, but I really like Rosetta Stone. I bought the hs edition, and it comes with worksheets, quizzes, tests and answer keys. They don't need my help at all, which is good because I couldn't do it after Lesson 1. I am a Rosetta Stone flunkie...but the kids are doing great!

I know it's spendy, but I really like Rosetta Stone. I bought the hs edition, and it comes with worksheets, quizzes, tests and answer keys. They don't need my help at all, which is good because I couldn't do it after Lesson 1. I am a Rosetta Stone flunkie...but the kids are doing great!
What ages is Rosetta Stone best for? The co-op has a special on it right now.

. . . .And for something inexpensive for Mom, try Getting Started with Spanish.

I, too, know French (although I was never fluent) and some of the native Spanish speakers around me have giggled at my attempt at speaking their language because I tend to do it "with a French accent."

I'm combining GSWS with Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day. S10D adds the accent/vocabulary to GSWS's grammar & basics.

You'll find you recognize a lot of the words & "idea" because French & Spanish are built from the same basic language, both being Romance languages.

Just be careful not to pass along your French accent when you are trying to say something in Spanish. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry just got back after a long day out - I think this may exactly be my problem. I took a semester of Spanish, but was so self conscious because my Cuban teacher kept correcting my French accent. I had the same problem when I was learning Hungarian - I tend to speak foreign languages where the Rs roll with a French accent.

I will be looking into all the options people have suggested.

There are many options, but here is one that is free, online and can get you started...

First Step Spanish

Next Step in Spanish

Another Step in Spanish

We're going to start using these videos soon in our Spanish program. They have manuals online you can read as PDF or print too.

There are many other sources, and if you want more options (online, books, products, etc) I'll be happy to post them, but sometimes I find that 'less is more' when you're uncertain about a topic/subject.

I have a ton of Childrens Learning Spanish books that I could recommend if you prefer that route.

Good luck.

I would love to know the specifics of what you personally will be using (books, online, etc.)

Thank you for the knowitall recommendation. It looks really good.

What ages is Rosetta Stone best for? The co-op has a special on it right now.

My oldest started it in 3rd and 4th grades with no problems. My kindergartner can't really do it, but he has moderate problems with speech. I'm betting he'll be able to do it in 1st grade. We are almost done with the first unit.

Has anyone tried The Learnables? I see Homeschool Buyers Co-Op is offering a discount on it. I need to still look into it some more but it sounds promising?

I noticed that too. I would actually have to buy the French to assess whether it was a good program but it seems like a nice price.

Ah, thanks! So did you ever end up trying it??

No I didn't. I had this delusional idea that I would start it in first grade with a 6 year old and a 1 year old. I am just now getting around to starting Spanish now... with a 9 year old and a 4 year old. :tongue_smilie:When I asked back then everyone suggested Learnables... the tides change things. ;)

Wow that is a good price! I already bought a used Learnables... but I might consider getting this still.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I've been looking at La Clasa Divertida...but I know nothing about it. :lol:

The teaching is all on videos and CD, then there are some crafts and cooking to learn about Mexico. It's for K-6, but I think my 4yo would enjoy the videos and activities.

The teaching is all on videos and CD, then there are some crafts and cooking to learn about Mexico. It's for K-6, but I think my 4yo would enjoy the videos and activities.

I have it, and it was really fun and my kids were doing great with it. But, I bought the tapes used, and the second one was messed up so that's as far as we got with it. BUt it was great up to that point. :D

A 4 yo would enjoy the videos and crafts. Mine did

First Step Spanish

Next Step in Spanish

Another Step in Spanish

I think i've seen this show on PBS!

We are doing La Clase Divertida right now, and my 7, 7, 5 yo LOVE it. Senor Gamache is pretty exciting, and the kids love the workbooks that go along with it - they're not too long / work-book-y, and the kids are having fun.

We're mixing it in with Spanish library books, kids at the playground, CD's, etc.