Menu

kindergarten?

Kissy

Phonics/Reading: finish OPGTR, then start AAS to reinforce phonics rules, lots of read alouds from library

Handwriting: continue with HWT books

Math: continue with Miquon, add MM1 when she is ready

Science: BFSU

History/Geography: maybe use Expedition Earth to learn a little about different countries

Johanna

Thanks Julie, the SingaporeMath.com page says this:

There is no separate teacher’s guide, but there is material at the bottom of each page to aid parents and teachers in presenting the concepts.

At the bottom of what page? The textbook? So if I want the whole package I buy the $22.00 textbook and the two $8.80 workbooks?

I went to the McRuffy site and it is on sale, but Singapore is probably a better intro to Math Mammoth I would think. Then I have to decide if I want to use all of my education money on K math and Spanish and maybe not have enough for the 4th grade history I planned for next year. Ugh. I am tired of making decisions, and now I am hi-jacking this thread. Should I start a new one?

http://www.singaporemath.com/Essential_Math_s/138.htm

This is what we're using. The 'hints' are at the bottom of each page :D

Sorry about my ignorance. What is ETC?
Explode the Code

I'm planning for K for my 4 yo for fall. She won't be K officially until the following year but she's wanting more real schoolwork like her older siblings.

Rightstart A

All About Reading (Level 1 should be out by then- we're doing Pre-1 right now)

Handwriting without Tears

A mixture of Sonlight P3/4 and Five in a Row

Singapore 2A, IP, and CWP 2

Reading: Sonlight Readers 2 Intermediate and Advanced

Science: Apologia Astronomy, and Zoology 1

History: SOTW 2

English: WWE 1, FLL 2

Languages:

Liping Ma Chinese 1, Song School Latin (finished), Getting Started with Latin

AAS 3 (finished half of 3)

HWT Printing Power

Bible: Ds read John and Proverbs by himself.

What were your thoughts on the Sonlight K science?

Personally, we loved Sonlight Science K. I liked how it touched on all sorts of topics (which lead to the strong Chemistry interest). The experiments didn't always correspond with the lessons that week but I just skipped those and did my own thing. I mainly bought it because most of the supplies were all in one package.

All in all, my big girl got a lot out of it and I was really pleased with it. We used the 4 day program and if I knew it would be such a hit, I would have gone with the 5 day program.

ETA: I did supplement it with Magic School Bus books and Singapore Earlybird Science books (my big girl is a science nut).

Edited by MissKNG

Thanks for listing these....I just purchased the pop up one! They both look like fun. Are you just reading them, or using other books/activities along with?

I just got both of them last month, so we haven't done much. We're going through The Little Man in the Map first while drawing the pictures on a blank US map. DS loves it!

I confess I haven't done much planning with the pop-up book yet. DS loves to look at it, but I have to keep it out of reach of my not-so-gentle 3 yo.

At this point, I just plan on working through it systematically and looking for library books and online resources along the way, if time allows. I also have the Kingfisher Children's Atlas that I plan on working in. I don't have lofty goals for K geography - just basic map knowledge before beginning SOTW next year.

My 2nd guy will be starting K this year. We're not really changing anything, just adjusting to his pace.

LA: SWR, SL Readers 2, Cursive First

Math: Horizons K, Miquon Orange, Singapore PM 1A

Literature/Bible: SL P4/5

Science: Noeo Physics I (with big brother)

Geography: Evan Moor Beginning Geography

Guest momk2000

Adventures in Phonics - Level A (with the CLP phonics readers)

In the Beginning Handwriting (CLP)

Liberty Mathematics (Level K)

A Beka Social Studies K (with library books)

McRuffy Science K

CLP Nature Reader K

God and Me Devotions for Girls

Library Books

We are finishing up our preschool book this week (Little Hands to Heaven) and will be starting Heart of Dakota's "Little Hearts for his Glory" next week. My plan is to continue on with Hooked on Phonics till we finish it, then start All About Spelling.

I'm still working out all the details, but this is what I'm thinking so far...

LA - FIAR with bonus crafts and hands on activities, finish AAS1 and then 2, lots of reading, finish HWT K and then 1

Math - continue Miquon add Singapore or Rightstart plus living books (Anno and such) and games

We'll be doing Classical Conversations so science and Amer history books, videos, puzzles, crafts, etc. to go along with our memory work.

Play method at kindergarten is beneficiary to child development....:DLearning the letters of the alphabet or the numbers while having fun. Its much more fun for the child and the child will be more willing to learn. It encourages the child to learn more. Learning the alphabet is the first step for your child to learn how to read. With reading comes more vocabulary (and curiosity) so it helps them expressing themselves better about their environment and gain more knowledge about everything. It practices their vocal skills saying the sounds of the letters.

Our K will look like this:

R & S Bible

Rightstart Math A

HWT K

AAS

RSO Life Science

OPGTR & HOP & ETC

Song school Latin (CD only for K)

Art - Preschool Art by MaryAnn F Kohl

Lots and lots of reading w/ lapbooks using homeschoolshare (Our favorite thing)

Looks like alot, but we will take it at her pace and have fun!!!!:D

Edited by mom2denj

I was going to start AO1 with her in the fall but decided to hold off until next year when she will be 6, almost 7. This year for k I think we will be just continuing what we are working now.

Bible-nightly family devotionals, memory verses

Phonics-Phonics Pathways, ETC, lots of readers.

Copywork-either out of her reading, or just whatever I come up with

Math-MUS Alpha. Not sure yet if I will have her continue on with Beta or switch to Singapore.

French-immersion with PIM vidoes and music CD

Poetry-a poem a day

Science-BFSU, nature study, continuing to read Thorton Burgess books and Among the _____ people.

Additional readings from AO list and FIAR

Play method at kindergarten is beneficiary to child development....:DLearning the letters of the alphabet or the numbers while having fun. Its much more fun for the child and the child will be more willing to learn. It encourages the child to learn more. Learning the alphabet is the first step for your child to learn how to read. With reading comes more vocabulary (and curiosity) so it helps them expressing themselves better about their environment and gain more knowledge about everything. It practices their vocal skills saying the sounds of the letters.

Ah, but some youngsters (while they enjoy playing with Mommy) want formal lessons. We started when Luke was 2 with cheap workbooks, because he wanted to 'do school' like his older siblings. While you have some good points and I am positive that your child will do well with play learning, it doesn't work for many parents, especially those that are also teaching older siblings :D It seems, ime, that parents that are teaching older siblings do well to give their youngsters some 'serious' school work to do. The children don't suffer. Luke loves it and can read pretty well, imnsho.

Just something to keep in mind, it can get a little hairy when it seems that one parent is questioning the decisions of another.

Have fun! I'm sure your child will :)

:iagree:

We are doing that in preschool right now, so we will step it up for K.;)

Our preschool consists of two Lauri Letter puzzles, Number play puzzle, pet and dinosaur counters, lots of other puzzles, shape sorters, beads and baubles, lacing shapes, playdo and Kumon's My First Coloring and Tracing books.

Also as Julie said, often little ones want to be included in what their older siblings are doing, so they insist on more formal school-work too.

Edited by Lovedtodeath