Menu

Completed List of Books Featuring Homeschooled Characters

Hi all,

I think my list of books featuring homeschooled characters is now pretty complete.

If you are interested, you can see it here:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/167361.html

These cover picture books through Young Adult books, religious books and secular books (I tried to make note of the ones that are religious in nature), books with actual homeschooled characters and books with characters who have life learning experiences with no mention of school. I tried to list brief descriptions of each book. It is as complete a list as I could get it!

I hope that you enjoy it. And if you have any other suggestions for me for books to add that I don't already have listed, please let me know!

I'm looking forward to sharing the list with my kids. They'd love to read about homeschooled kids!

You may want to add Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. Stargirl, a girl who has been homeschooled all her life before moving to a new town and entering the public high school there, is turned on by the students at her school for everything that makes her different. Everyone except Leo Borlock, who falls in love with her on sight.

I love this story and cherished the relationship that Leo and Stargirl make with an older gentleman in their community from whom they are "tutored" after school and learn more than they ever could anywhere else.

The People in Pineapple Place and The Prisoner of Pineapple Place by Anne Lindberg

The Starbuck Family Adventure series by Kathryn Lasky - the children are homeschooled by a former public schoolteacher tutor

Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - the family homeschools out of necessity, but public schooling is portrayed as more desirable.

Arm Of The Starfish by Madeleine L'Engle (I believe Dragons In The Water too, and possibly some of the other books about that family)

You may want to add Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

I noticed that Stargirl is on the second page of listings. Great book, I agree.

Yep, Stargirl is already there. At the bottom of the page I linked you to, there's a link to go on to Page 2 for more titles as it was too much text for me to fit it all in one post. :)

The People in Pineapple Place and The Prisoner of Pineapple Place by Anne Lindberg

The Starbuck Family Adventure series by Kathryn Lasky - the children are homeschooled by a former public schoolteacher tutor

Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - the family homeschools out of necessity, but public schooling is portrayed as more desirable.

Arm Of The Starfish by Madeleine L'Engle (I believe Dragons In The Water too, and possibly some of the other books about that family)

Thanks!! Going to look these up now :)

Just wanted to clarify, I was just looking at this on Amazon- it sounds like a really fun story and I would love to check it out with my daughter regardless! But in the second book, Prisoner, it mentions that the character is "tired of being nine years old and a fourth grader." Are you sure it is relevant to homeschooling...?

In the Chronicles of Narnia, the start (and end) of Dawn Treader is in a very, very badly run school, and at the start of Prince Caspian, the kids are on their way to school, but are whisked off the platform before they get there. So the kids really aren't homeschooled, except for maybe the first book with Professor Kirke-but they're also not exactly IN school, either :).

My DD believes that Phineas and Ferb are homeschooled. After all, they're never IN school, but they do a lot of learning!

Just wanted to clarify, I was just looking at this on Amazon- it sounds like a really fun story and I would love to check it out with my daughter regardless! But in the second book, Prisoner, it mentions that the character is "tired of being nine years old and a fourth grader." Are you sure it is relevant to homeschooling...?

Basically.

Pineapple Place is a street that magically travels around the world, and has been since 1939. Everyone stays the same age (and the same grade) eternally. All the kids on the street are taught by one kid's mother in her home, which I guess is actually cottage schooling rather than homeschooling.

And the teacher is Jeremiah's mother, so it's definitely homeschooling for him :) (We just finished the first book last night, so I went back and checked)

In the first book, the main character (not one of the people in Pineapple Place, but a kid who meets them) attends public school, but he also goes and sees the Pineapple Place kids doing their schooling at the home of one of the children.

Edited by ocelotmom

Basically.

Pineapple Place is a street that magically travels around the world, and has been since 1939. Everyone stays the same age (and the same grade) eternally. All the kids on the street are taught by one kid's mother in her home, which I guess is actually cottage schooling rather than homeschooling.

And the teacher is Jeremiah's mother, so it's definitely homeschooling for him :) (We just finished the first book last night, so I went back and checked)

In the first book, the main character (not one of the people in Pineapple Place, but a kid who meets them) attends public school, but he also goes and sees the Pineapple Place kids doing their schooling at the home of one of the children.

Thanks for the clarification! I will go add it in now :)

a few I didn't see that you might consider adding:

great list, thank you for your work! :001_smile:

Laddie -Gene Stratton -Porter (one of my all time fav books) is about a little girl who is very bright and is pulled out of school after she starts for the first time and the new teacher slaps her in the face. The parens allow her to study at home and enjoy nature.

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott - it's been a while since I read this, but I remember Rose goes to live with elderly aunts and her Uncle is put in charge of her education, he sends her out doors and had some beliefs that were very "waldorf" I think.

The sequel is Rose in Bloom

Jo's boys- Louisa May Alcott - not homeschooling per se, Jo's husband runs a boarding school of sorts for boys, but it sounds so very homeschool-ish.

Jane Eyre - she was not homeschooled, but later in life when she is living with her cousins, they all set themselves a routine of daily morning studies, I thought it was really inspiring.

Jane Eyre - she was not homeschooled, but later in life when she is living with her cousins, they all set themselves a routine of daily morning studies, I thought it was really inspiring.

And she's a home tutor, too :)

A friend of mine wrote an SF version called Jane_E, in which Jane is a homeschool teacher, and her horrible cousins attend a virtual academy. It's a fun update.

http://www.amazon.com/Jane_E-Friendless-Orphan-Erin-McCole-Cupp/dp/1411690508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299810450&sr=8-1

Nance, could you possibly post your list here? I can't get to your domain from my computer- for some reason I get an error page. I'd love to include more books like this for my 10yo dd.

It's a very long list, it would take multiple posts to get it to fit, do you want to PM me your email address and I'll just email it to you? I will probably have to do it later today though, leaving shortly to run some errands and to take the kids to bowling.