Menu

Water for Elephants

Is anyone else excited to see this? I read the book a couple years ago and can't wait to see the movie. Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon play the lead roles. Just saw a trailer and it's due out on April 22! You can also see the trailer on Amazon.

Yes! Although I am not going in with high expectations, the movie is never like the book. And Water for Elephants is one of my favorite books, so I hope they don't mess it up too much. :001_smile:

Not sure about the casting, not what I pictured...but we'll see, it may work. :001_smile:

I may have to go to the theater for this one, which I rarely do. But not sure if I want to wait for the DVD.

I loved it too and sure hope they do it justice!

I'd definitely encourage anyone interested to read the book BEFORE seeing the movie. That way if they blow it, you'll still have memories of the print ;)

I think RP is a good choice, and I've enjoyed RW in other movies, but not sure about her role in this one. We'll see! Can't wait!

In the meantime, I'm hoping to get out and see The King's Speech sometime soon!

I must try the book again. I attempted to read it back about 4-5 years ago? I don't remember. When it first came out. But for some reason I couldn't dig in. Maybe I'll try it in audiobook format. I can download it from my library.

Barb

I didn't realize they were making a movie.

I really love that book. It is just the sort of thing I want to end up with when I am not sure what I want to read and just buy something on a spur of the moment. It is one of my favorites.

I wouldn't have imagined them in those roles. I will withhold judgement until I see it but I am surprised by the choices.

My book club is chomping at the bits waiting for this movie to come out. We read the book early last year and all loved it (a rare event that we ALL liked it). I'm hoping they do the book justice with the movie, but as always, I have to put the book out of my mind and see the movie for what it is. Plus, it has RPattz in it. Yummy.

Yes! Although I am not going in with high expectations, the movie is never like the book. And Water for Elephants is one of my favorite books, so I hope they don't mess it up too much. :001_smile:

Not sure about the casting, not what I pictured...but we'll see, it may work. :001_smile:

I may have to go to the theater for this one, which I rarely do. But not sure if I want to wait for the DVD.

:iagree:That has to be my favorite book ever.

I have to say that if I had not already read the book, the trailer alone would not have caught my interest. I really hope that the movie is at least half as good as the book!

In other news. . .I got to see The King's Speech this weekend - it was wonderful!

Saw the preview last night as well. My husband was really engaged by the trailer. Am I correct in my recollection that this book was actually a "novel" originally written for NaNoWriMo??? Seems to me it was.

Yes, you are remembering correctly. It was originally written for NaNo. :)

Here is a list of published NaNo authors

http://www.nanowrimo.org/publishedwrimos

Edited by Sis

I've decided to reverse my previous "read the book first" philosophy. Whenever I read a book first and then see the movie, I always think "that was nowhere as good as the book". But, if I see the movie first, then I can enjoy it and later enjoy the book even more. ;)

Robert Pattinson is reason enough to get me in the theater. :auto:

I really loved the book. I am not sure about the pairing of Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon in this one. I like them each individually, but I just pictured a younger female lead, and I think her hair and make up look quite severe in the clips I have seen from this film, which sort of age her a bit.

Anyway, I will definetely see this one. Hope it is worth it!

I can't believe what glowing reviews this book is getting - I'm on a long list for it at the library, but I'm tempted to go buy it because of how great everyone says it is! I think the movie looks interesting; I'm definitely going to read the book first.