Menu

Westboro Baptist wins it's case in the Supreme Court

I doubt anyone would doubt how I feel about Fred Phelps and Westboro, but I think the Supreme Court made the right ruling.

Bill

It tears me up but I too think the ruling was correct.

Repugnant as those swine are, the right of free speech must be protected. Now the second they set foot on private land then arrest them for trespass.

It tears me up but I too think the ruling was correct.

Repugnant as those swine are, the right of free speech must be protected. Now the second they set foot on private land then arrest them for trespass.

Am I the only one to notice that we've been in an almost constant state of agreement lately? :D

Bill

Maybe the location of the demonstration would be a reasonable thing to limit? Not at someone's home; not at places of worship.

That would be nice. I know a lot of LDS people who would love to go to general conference or a temple open house without the picketers.

I think they can't go on private property, as someone else said, and some places have laws about how close you can get on public property too. I think some cities even have protest 'zones', at least for large events that draw protesters.

It seems to me that some people might be able to make a legitimate defamation case against the Westboro people.

I'd like to see them met by about 10,000 completely naked and laughing people. Eat a lot of beans. Pass gas in their direction. Perhaps public sex. How about naked cops having sex?

But seriously, I think we all ought to pretend they are not there. Absolutely everyone should just act as if they are invisible. No mention of them on the 'net, take down the wikipedia entry, no protesters, everyone at the funeral walk about their business as if there is a blank on the map where they are standing. This fire needs lack of O2.

IMO.

I'd like to see them met by about 10,000 completely naked and laughing people. Eat a lot of beans. Pass gas in their direction. Perhaps public sex. How about naked cops having sex?

But seriously, I think we all ought to pretend they are not there. Absolutely everyone should just act as if they are invisible. No mention of them on the 'net, take down the wikipedia entry, no protesters, everyone at the funeral walk about their business as if there is a blank on the map where they are standing. This fire needs lack of O2.

IMO.

:iagree:

I am *relieved* the Supreme Court ruled according to the law, rather than emotion. I am sorry and sickened that there are groups like WBC. I agree with the above, though, they should be given NO media attention.

There is a group of bikers (mentioned earlier in this thread) that pretty much does this. They go to military funerals that WBC plans to attend, surround the area of the funeral to keep WBC away, and (from what I understand) will even hold up flags as a barrier so the family does not have to see the protesters.

My mom's husband rides with the Partiot Guard. They are good guys and women.

I just read about this, & I've been thinking...

The best solution *I* see, offhand, is to picket their picketing. If nothing else, to show support for the grieving family. Maybe messages could be ones of condolence, not aimed at Westboro at all.

Maybe there wouldn't be enough room for everybody.

Maybe Westboro would get pushed back a little further.

Maybe the families wouldn't have to *see* them at the funeral.

It's the best I can come up with. (Well, that's not true. It's the best *legal* option I can come up with!)

We have friends that ride with the Patriot Guards and you don't have to "ride" to stand with the guard at the cemetary or other public place. We plan to take our boys the next time there is a need locally. The Guard is a great group of men and women that protect and shield the grieving families. If you haven't seen them go to youtube and look at the videos.

We have friends that ride with the Patriot Guards and you don't have to "ride" to stand with the guard at the cemetary or other public place. We plan to take our boys the next time there is a need locally. The Guard is a great group of men and women that protect and shield the grieving families. If you haven't seen them go to youtube and look at the videos.

I just went and watched some videos on Youtube. What an awesome country we live in! We agree that speech is free, yet some citizens take it upon themselves to shield some from other's hateful speech. That does more than any law ever would.

I am *relieved* the Supreme Court ruled according to the law, rather than emotion. I am sorry and sickened that there are groups like WBC. I agree with the above, though, they should be given NO media attention.

but..but..but..what about the ratings with sensational stories we can wring until out for the biggest buck? While I'm a fan of free enterprise in a big way - as long as people view this kind of sensationalism in our news, getting no media attention is NEVER going to happen. When people quit watching, they'll stop covering.

Freedom of speech should apply to all or none. Even if someone is using their freedom to express something disgusting or disturbing, unless they are committing a crime, they have the same freedom we do.

We should be cautious in our desire to remove freedoms from people we find despicable, lest we remove our own freedoms in the process.

WBC is a terrible group. No doubt. They're also American citizens, with certain rights that must be respected.

Don't rule out the effect that dueling had in maintaining public civility.

And I also agree with this.

Seems to me these people tried to get up here (Canada) one time and weren't even allowed across the border or something. We've got hate speech laws and you can't just run around here doing what those folks do.

I googled - every article that I can find talks about their PLAN to come up here and picket the funeral of the young man who was killed on the greyhound bus, but that the border guards were watching out for them and that they would not be allowed into Canada. It looks like the picket didn't materialize, despite their arrogance that they'd pull it off, because I can't find anything that says they got away with it.

Here's a quote from one of our government fellas:

Winnipeg NDP MP Pat Martin said the group should be "sent packing," and should not try to show up in Winnipeg "for their own safety."

"We're not going to allow these people to compound the tragedy of the McLean family loss, and Canadians simply won't tolerate these lunatics disrupting what should be a respectful service," he told CBC News on Friday.

"Your freedom to swing your arm in the air ends when it touches the end of my nose," he added. "What these people were going to do was hurtful, harmful and disruptive to the peace, order and good government that we guarantee to our citizens, so they have no place in this country."

From what I see online, the UK banned them too.