Menu

Things to do in Tampa, FL

Dh has to be in Tampa for 2 weeks and we are tagging along for the trip. We plan to do Busch Gardens, The Lowry Park Zoo and the Aquarium. What are some of the other things in Tampa that will interest a 7 and 4 year old? We are staying at a resort, so we can swim and laze around there, but 14 days can start feeling very long and I would like at least one or two more outings for us.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) - excellent!

Great Explorations - St Pete

Seabird Sanctuary - Treasure Island

Clearwater Marine Aquarium - small aquarium but home of Winter the Dolphin, the star of a new Disney movie coming out called A Dolphin's Tale (she has a prosthetic tale). You could go to Clearwater Beach and the Seabird Sanctuary the same day.

Clearwater also has a pirate ship cruise

There's a new children's museum in Tampa http://glazermuseum.org/

Head over the Dunedin one day and take the ferry to Caladesi Island for shelling

Tarpon Springs - visit the sponge docks, have some greek food or take a boat ride

Hillsborough River State Park

Dinosaur World - Plant City

Go to Hire a Pony and ride horses/visit the petting zoo

Henry B Plant museum http://www.plantmuseum.com/Museum-Information/visitor-info.html

Of course, Orlando is only 1 1/2 hours away as well.

MOSI (Museum of Science & Industry) is interesting. You could check out the Tampa Theater too. The theater is on of the last surviving theaters built by famous architect, John Eberson. They have theater tours. If you google it, you can see some pictures and see if they are playing any movies that children would enjoy. Tampa also has the Florida Aquarium. It is in Channelside and right behind the museum is the USS Victory, a WWII ship that offers tours. I completely 2nd the Tarpon Sponge docks! Be sure to take the sponge diving tour and eat some Greek food!

You can go visit my family if you want to. :D just kidding. There are some good restaurants there as well if you like Cuban/Spanish food. We always used to go to the Columbia restaurant and.... oh bummer! Apparently the University Restaurant isn't there anymore. :( What a shame. We used to eat there all the time.

Well, the last time we went to Tampa a couple years ago, we had a family reunion at La Teresita restaurant. Their food wasn't bad either and you had a lot of choices. Ay, I wish I could have sent you to the University Restaurant instead though. I'm so bummed it's closed down. :(

Have a nice time in Tampa. The beaches on the Gulf side have TONS of pretty sea shells and lots of sand dollars too. The sunsets are beautiful. I'm sure you'll find lots to do. Enjoy. :)

Lowry Zoo is out favorite place, and even as New Englanders we have a membership. We love that place! We also love the Tampa Aquarium. It's very low key (like the Clearwater one) and has a little water/sprinkler play area overlooking the harbor....with a tikii bar. Everyone is happy. :D Although Clearwater Aquarium has Winter:

www.seewinter.com/ but no tiki bar. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Great suggestions already. For something different, you could take surf/boogie board lessons at the surf shop inside International Plaza Mall. I think it's called Adrenalina? They used to run a B1G1 free special mid-week. My son did it at 7 yo and had a blast!

Wow, thanks Ladies, these are great suggestions. I have not had time to look at all of them, but from what I see there is a lot to do! We are running out the door to DD's Bday party, but I am going to take some time this afternoon to look at all the places.

Thanks so much for all the replies!

You can go visit my family if you want to. :D just kidding. There are some good restaurants there as well if you like Cuban/Spanish food. We always used to go to the Columbia restaurant and.... oh bummer! Apparently the University Restaurant isn't there anymore. :( What a shame. We used to eat there all the time.

Well, the last time we went to Tampa a couple years ago, we had a family reunion at La Teresita restaurant. Their food wasn't bad either and you had a lot of choices. Ay, I wish I could have sent you to the University Restaurant instead though. I'm so bummed it's closed down. :(

Have a nice time in Tampa. The beaches on the Gulf side have TONS of pretty sea shells and lots of sand dollars too. The sunsets are beautiful. I'm sure you'll find lots to do. Enjoy. :)

The Columbia is still in Ybor City (downtown Tampa)

Oh yes I know the Columbia is still there it's the University restaurant that I was talking about. That one apparently closed. :( Too bad. I remember going there since I was a young girl. :(

It is really sad when you have great memories of something and it's gone. Whenever I go to visit where I grew up, I think of my favorite fish and chips place... the best I've ever had.... and pout. There's something about great good memories.

It is really sad when you have great memories of something and it's gone. Whenever I go to visit where I grew up, I think of my favorite fish and chips place... the best I've ever had.... and pout. There's something about great good memories.

Yeah. I miss polar cups too. I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, but all the rest of my family lived in Tampa so we went there often to visit. In Ft. Lauderdale we used to have Polar Cup Trucks that went through the neighborhoods and sold polar cups just like how ice cream trucks sell ice cream. Oh my gosh those things were SOOOOOO GOOOOOD especially on a hot day which you know we have in abundance. ;) They quit doing polar cup trucks ages ago, but they used to still have a free standing polar cup store in Ft. Lauderdale that you could still go to and get them, but that one eventually closed too and has been long gone for years now. I miss those so much. :(

MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) - excellent!

Great Explorations - St Pete

Seabird Sanctuary - Treasure Island

Clearwater Marine Aquarium - small aquarium but home of Winter the Dolphin, the star of a new Disney movie coming out called A Dolphin's Tale (she has a prosthetic tale). You could go to Clearwater Beach and the Seabird Sanctuary the same day.

Clearwater also has a pirate ship cruise

There's a new children's museum in Tampa http://glazermuseum.org/

Head over the Dunedin one day and take the ferry to Caladesi Island for shelling

Tarpon Springs - visit the sponge docks, have some greek food or take a boat ride

Hillsborough River State Park

Dinosaur World - Plant City

Go to Hire a Pony and ride horses/visit the petting zoo

Henry B Plant museum http://www.plantmuseum.com/Museum-Information/visitor-info.html

Of course, Orlando is only 1 1/2 hours away as well.

Thank you for these suggestions, I have looked at the places online and they all look wonderful. We are definitely going to Tarpon Springs to look at the sponge docks and eat Greek food! Caladesi Island and the Glazer museum is also on our must do list!

Visit us! ;) We are about an hour north of there. The sponge docks in Tarpon Springs are fun and the Greek food is to die for. Our favorite Greek place is Pappas for dh and I, but it is a little pricey. There is a little diner type place across the street that has great food too, and is more affordable. They also have a small museum near the docks.

Thanks we are excited, it is lovely that we HS and can just up and leave with DH. :-)

The kids are excited about the beaches, we normally spend a week every year on the other side of the FL coast with family. The kids are looking forward to spending time on the beach picking up shells.

Big Cat Rescue. It's an amazing, nationally recognized sanctuary for Tigers and other large cats. They are cutting edge as to the care the animals receive, and only do small tours to limit the stress on the cats.

My girls would have loved the Big Cat Rescue, they only allow kids on weekends though and we are doing all our "outings" during the week.