Menu

science in a package but no Sonlight or Real Science for Kids

Have you looked at the Rainbow science course for 7th/8th grade? We aren't there yet, but it certainly looks groovy :).

We did this last year. It was groovy. ;) No seriously, ds actually enjoyed it and learned a lot.

We're doing this now. It is real science, age appropriate for middle school, labs that go with the lessons, everything included in the lab kits. It's been wonderful here - a great bridge into high school.

My ds really enjoys it too. Maybe it is really is...groovy.

Have you looked at the Rainbow science course for 7th/8th grade? We aren't there yet, but it certainly looks groovy :).

We did this last year. It was groovy. ;) No seriously, ds actually enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Thank you for the suggestions. I haven't checked out all the options yet but I should have mentioned that I am not that keen on a science program that promotes evangelicalism. That's why I am not using Sonlight anymore. Real Science for Kids was okay but I want more out of a program.

I used the Science Daybooks from Great Source for the middle grades. I liked that they dealt with only one area of science at a time: Life Science, Earth Science and Physics. I added in experiments from Janice VanCleave's books and some Science in a Nutshell kits. I used RS4K for Chemistry, also adding in stuff from the other sources.

If the Rainbow has a religious bent, it is not advertised that way on the site. We're planning to use their Colors elementary science for next year, and then maybe try the Rainbow after that if we like Colors. I'm also planning to use the Sciencesaurus book.

From the Rainbow website:

High quality science education. The Rainbow is a curriculum that will profoundly affect your kids' understanding of God's world, aid in their academic success, and serve as a springboard for the pursuit of any science-related career.

Navigate theories on the age of the earth, the dinosaurs, and human evolution with ease and without compromising your children's developing faith.

It may not be a religious curriculum, but it sounds like it. I'm looking for a solid secular science and the above quotes turned me away from Rainbow.

I thought Rainbow Science has a creationist view? It was my impression that that's what the OP was trying to avoid.

This was not mentioned until after several recommendations. :001_smile:

It may not be a religious curriculum, but it sounds like it. I'm looking for a solid secular science and the above quotes turned me away from Rainbow.

It is a religious curricula, but I did not find it as problematic as, say, the Jump In writing program. The OP may feel differently, of course. I (dimly) remember there being talk of all things coming from God, but the science was solid.

Have you looked at Noeo science? We used it for Physics (level I for one child and level II for another.) We were much happier with that than RS4K.

:iagree:We are using Noeo for the first time this year (7th grade - Chemistry III) and are really getting a lot out of it. I like the way it is laid out for four days per week, and it has good questions/vocabulary assignments. The only thing ds is not enjoying are all of the experiments - so we have been picking and choosing among them.