Menu

How many library books are in your house?

How many books do you have checked out from the library, right now?  

1. 1. How many books do you have checked out from the library, right now?

• 0-25
    • 26-50
    • 51-75
    • 76-100
    • 101-200
    • 200+
    • Ubiquitous Other

I am sooo jealous at the number of books you can check out! We can get 3 each for 2 weeks at a time.

Our library had only US$ 2000 to spend on new books last year, so there is not much of a selection anyway. No audio, dvd's or other media. They still have all the books on a cardboard catalogue system (no money for a computerized system). There were only 2 books from the entire SOTW 1 & 2 reading lists available.

At the moment we do not have any books checked out. We get most of our books from 2nd hand books stores, Bookmooch.com and we buy a lot new as well. Books are a big monthly budget item in our house.

We have a 30 limit (up from what it used to be -- 20).

But, since we have four family members, we can check out up to 120. I carry all of the cards with me, and I organize them like this:

history/art/music/my personal -- my card

science/my dh's personal -- his card

Nathan's or anything I check out for him to read/watch -- Nathan's card

Ben's or anything I check out for him to read/watch -- Ben's card

Some of you have really great library systems! Ours allows 30 items (so that's what we have!), you can renew twice if the item is not already on hold. We did just get our daughter her own card last week but haven't used it yet.

DD's card has 49, but that is for all 3 kids since the younger two aren't yet eligible for their own cards. I have 8 books out on my card, but only 3 of them are mine (the one I just finished, the one I'm currently reading, and one more to be read). The others are DH's for the book he's in the process of writing. I'm at our library far more frequently than he is, so I often pick up books for him while I'm there.

We have a library suitcase. It is a regular rolling suitcase. We often fill it up

Total enabling post LOL

I hadn't thought of doing this. I usually limit myself to what I can carry out of the library in two grocery bags because I also have to juggle three kids under 5 and a stroller. I could totally handle a suitcase but then we really would cross over into the realm of wierdo's :D - we are already considered weird because I check out about 30 books at a time - from what I hear when in the kids section parents are constantly limiting their kids to DVD's only or 2 books only. I don't know how they manage that because my kids keep shoving books in the bag left and right and begging me to get just one more :D

My card limit is 30 but kids are allowed cards from birth so all my kids have one too - with a limit of 20 - so that's about 90 books I can borrow if I want. Since I am the only one who can read in our house (well Dh can read too ) 30-40 books a week is adequate LOL -I envision we'll borrow more when the kids can read to themselves. I've just started reading chapter books too so they take even longer to read -so I need less of them or they go back unread.

Edited by sewingmama

Total enabling post LOL

I hadn't thought of doing this. I usually limit myself to what I can carry out of the library in two grocery bags because I also have to juggle three kids under 5 and a stroller. I could totally handle a suitcase but then we really would cross over into the realm of wierdo's :D

:lol: Yes, but there is celebrity in being a weirdo. I have my own hold shelf at the library. I've had people ask me if they can see it. ("It does exist!") I've had new librarians introduced to me as part of their orientation ("She does exist!") Embrace your weirdoism! Who knows we might find our way into the local newspaper one of these days!:lol:

I have to pay $50 to use the better system in my area and they limit you to 50 books per card. So I can only have 50 out at a time and I usually come within 5 of that. Because of this, I use our tiny local library for "fun" kids books and get the "school" books from the library I pay for, plus my books. Anything that I need to request comes from the better library system.

And yes, I have my own hold shelf. I go in every week and yet the shelf is still full every time I go in.:lol:

56 - which is pretty average I'd say. We have a shelf in our living room for our library checkouts so we can keep track of them. Sadly, I had to pay a fine of $45 today because I had forgotten that dh had a stack of CDs -- OUCH! I probably could have bought all the CDs for that price! :glare:

Teach me to not pay attention to his card. ;)