Menu

Need opinions about best traditional mattress for bad back and chronic pain.

I As most of you know I have severe back pain and chronic muscle pain. My brother is convinced that I need a new mattress and that this will help. He wants to buy one for me. The problem is I don't know which kinds would be the best.

I have experiemented with a few different mattress and this is what I have found so far. Temperpedic doesn't work for me. I sink down into the mattress and then I can't move. I wake up more sore than I was when I went to bed. When I am at my dd's house I sleep on one of two beds, an air mattress (filled to very firm) when my hubby doesn't go with or a very firm regular mattress if he does. Both work really well. I sleep well, wake up rested and don't hurt. So my gut instinct is that I need a firm mattress.

My hubby would prefer something a little cushier. Is there such a thing as a very firm pillow top and if so would that cause the same problems as the temperpedic? I do have a gel filled mattress topper and a superfill mattress pad so that seem like enough fluffing (I made that up) to make the mattress soft and cushy enough for hubby.

Bassett is having a mattress sale and my brother has told me to go on-line and pick out a mattress and he will buy it and have it sent to my home. I went there and they seem to have mattresses in the $500 range and then the $1500 range. What is the difference beside $1000? Why would one be so much more expensive than the other? If the more expensive one is so much better would it make any sense to buy a cheaper one?

Has anyone had a Bassett bed? Or what are your experiences with a traditional mattress? Any recommendations? Any, definitely don't gets?

I'd also suggest a Sleep Number bed by Select Comfort. I've had arthritis in my hips since I was a child and used to have severe pain when getting out of bed in the morning (and most of the rest of the day, really).

Since I've had a Sleep Number bed I don't have that issue at all. When I was married, my husband had his side of the bed to his liking and I had mine to mine, and it was sleeping bliss.

The model I have has quite a plush pillow top, too, but they come in several models, some more cushy than others. The key for me is the adjustable firmness. It really is the best investment I've ever made.

Have you looked at a Select Comfort? You & dh could each have your own sleep number. We got a basic model and added our own topper. If you need to save $$ & aren't concerned about returning it, the close outs can save you. The foundations are basically a platform.

My hubby has tried the Sleep number beds at a few different hotels and he hates them. Plus I have heard that there is a ridge seperating the two sides which is where I sleep so that would be a problem.

My hubby has tried the Sleep number beds at a few different hotels and he hates them. Plus I have heard that there is a ridge seperating the two sides which is where I sleep so that would be a problem.

We had one given to us...and it was absolutely horrible!! I have chronic pain...and sleeping in that bed got me so bad, I couldn't move....got rid of it!!!!

We are still in search of the perfect bed...Dh and I are very different sizes...

We have a traditional mattress now...I think a sealy with a feather bed topper....but it is not great....

I am all :bigear:'s on this thread.

Faithe

We're improvising a difference in mattress firmness here. We bought a pretty firm mattress with a pillowtop, but it's now 10+ years old. We put a piece of plywood under my husband's side. It makes it firmer for him (he would love to sleep on the floor---used to do just that on a futon), while I wouldn't be able to move if I did that:). If you have some plywood, stick it under your side of the mattress and give it a try to see it if helps. There's a little difference in height, but no ridge between us. We also find we need to flip and turn it regularly. I can really tell a difference when it's been on one side too long.

According to one of our local furniture stores, there are a few brands of mattresses that offer Dual Comfort. Each mattress has a firm side and a plush side. They told us that when our son was getting married a year ago and mattress shopping for their new apartment. I don't recall what brand and their website doesn't say. HTH

My DH weighs almost 100 lbs more than me. We tried a sleep number for years, but it was great for about a ear, and then went down hill. Both are backs started to hurt.

We now have a "Marriott" bed. It's made by Jamison, but on thierwebsites, it isn't listed by that name. You'd have to call them, or go to a showroom where they sell them. They'll know.

We love love love love this bed. We've had it for about 3 years, no issues at all.

I am all ears.... we are in mattress he**--for the last six years. The soft cushy tops crater, then the bed isn't level. It killed my back and chased me to dd's room on an old twin that is 20 years old (plus dh snores horribly, so hurting back and no sleep...) I like the old fashioned luxury firm two sided mattresses, but they are not available anymore. I have heard some say that instead of the cushy top, to get a topper. Then at least you can change it out without having to buy another mattress. Don't buy at a mattress store, go to a store with a generous return policy.

My DH weighs almost 100 lbs more than me...

We now have a "Marriott" bed. It's made by Jamison, but on thierwebsites, it isn't listed by that name.

As in Marriott hotels? We stayed in the Marriott for over two months when we moved here and those beds were amazing! Loved the beds, the comforters, the pillows...everything!

We need a new mattress as well - might have to look into those if you are referring to Marriott hotels!

My DH and I splurged on a Stearns and Foster mattress. He has back issues and needs a firm mattress, while I miss my "cloud bed" (read: soft mattress, plus pillowy mattress cover) from before we were married. To me, a lot of firm mattresses feel like sleeping on a board, but, obviously, my DH's back is more important to me. I don't know how it works, but our firm Stearns and Foster doesn't feel rock hard, yet offers really good support for my DH's back--something to do with their coil system, I think. We definitely hadn't been planning to spend quite that much money on a mattress, but we kept going back to the same one after visiting several stores and trying out a lot of mattresses. I think that a softer Stearns and Foster would probably be even more heavenly, but I'm really happy with the firm one we have, and my DH's back feels much better sleeping on it.

Are you sure it is muscle pain you are having? Have you seen a Dr?

Oh yeah, on a regular basis. I have a regular dr., a chiropractor, and a massage therapist. I have a probelm SI joint, fibromyalgia and serious insomnia. If any one of the three start causing a problem a negative spiral starts and makes it almost impossible to get any of them back under control. For instance if my back hurts, I can't sleep and if I don't sleep then all my other muscle tighten up and start to hurt and then I have an even harder time sleeping. Some thing happens if I get insomnia too bad. If I don't sleep my muscles tighten up and then my back starts to hurt, etc. My brother is convinced that my mattress is part of the problem but I am not as sure because sometimes I do sleep and sometimes I am pain free and I still sleep in the same bed. But he told me that if I don't pick a bed then he is just going to order what he thinks would be best and have it sent to my house. I guess if I am going to get a new mattress, I should try to get one that will help.