Menu

Ok, so I am finally absolutely convinced Americans are going to face VERY rough times

Good grief. For all of you who need a place when the world goes to hell, you can follow me to my place in the north country. We'll figure it out together.

If Ma and Pa Ingalls can load up a covered wagon and scrape a living off the prairie then, for heaven's sake, why can't we? We've got brains, tools and more colorfully illustrated books than they had.

The day it comes down to my-life-or-yours to survive, I'll gladly let you have it.

:001_smile:

Amen. One lesson I took away from all the coverage of Hurrican Katrina and the Haiti earthquake was that it's amazing what happens when a community pulls together. In our culture, individualism is king, but when it comes down to it, NO ONE exists in a bubble. I'm not afraid to die, but my conscience wouldn't allow me to watch someone else die if I could help it. "Survival of the fittest" or "survival of the most prepared" doesn't fit my worldview.

When we talked about this topic a few months ago, I pointed out that while we don't have any money, we do have a lot of these skills. I can garden, clean an animal, live without electricty, etc. When push comes to shove, I'll be more than happy to share those skills with people who may have resources but no skills. It takes all kinds in this world and we are all better off if we can depend on each other. If you feel you don't need anyone else because you can pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, then fine. If you change your mind later, I won't hold it against you.;)

BTW, for a major collapse that is being predicted on this thread, being debt free won't matter one bit. As someone who has been down the financial disaster road, let's just hope that the phones go down to because at least then the collectors can't call you!:lol: Really, nothing else happens. Being debt free is an admirable goal, but I wouldn't put it into the disaster preparedness checklist.;)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief. For all of you who need a place when the world goes to hell, you can follow me to my place in the north country. We'll figure it out together.

If Ma and Pa Ingalls can load up a covered wagon and scrape a living off the prairie then, for heaven's sake, why can't we? We've got brains, tools and more colorfully illustrated books than they had.

The day it comes down to my-life-or-yours to survive, I'll gladly let you have it.

Thank you so much for putting into words what bugs me so much about all of this kind of talk. The Indians survived here for centuries living off of the land in a nomadic way AS A COMMUNITY and they got on just fine. I don't understand why everything has to be compartmentalized as "this is mine. Go get your own!" Even the pilgrims learned to share and survive AS A COMMUNITY and needed the Indians to help them through the winter. What if the Indians said to the Pilgrims when they arrived, "tough luck dudes, you're on your own. This is my land and my food and there isn't enough for you." The Thanksgiving story would be very different. The Indians didn't even have a concept of "owning" land. When stuff becomes more important than another person's life, well... I think at that point life becomes not worth living.

ETA: Renee you and I must have posted at the same time. LOL I didn't see your reply before typing my own. I totally agree with you. You put it much better than I could have :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

:iagree: I've often told people they'd be welcome here. There would be more hands to help and more fun and chat around the fire. There's even 16 acres for sale next to us if someone wants their own fire. There are quite a few deer on it already. ;)

All of us living around here would chip in to survive together and not have a problem with it at all. We already enjoy our own little community and help each other out when one goes on vacation or something.

KateMary is justified in what she said. Several people in this thread alone (and there are many other threads similar to this just here on this board) said things akin to "can I come live with you?" to posters on farms.

I agree with KateMary that it's really not funny, clever or cute. It makes us feel uncomfortable because we're wondering how far our polite, "no" is going to be pushed. No one wants a nasty confrontation, but just because someone has land and the means to be self-sufficient doesn't mean that they're willing or able to support anyone else.

What she's saying is that some people are assuming a heck of a lot in regard to being able to "get some land and be self sufficient." I completely agree that if you aren't invited, back the heck off.

Since I am the one who said "can I come live with you?", I will address this.

It was a rheotrical question. Of course I cant really come live with her, I dont know where she lives. This is a viritual world of community, not reality. And I think other posters who say something akin to that, dont mean it sincerely. How could they possibly know how to get to anyone's house?

It was asked in order to convey, "WOW!! You have done a great job!!" and in hindsight I wish I had just said that.

I have no intention of squatting. My family is sustained.

If someone seriously thinks they can come live with you, I guess it is good that you ladies got all expectations laid out beforehand.

And I guess if someone really hasn't thought through their contingency plan, it was good to wake them up to the reality that not all people will be willing to help them. So they better be a little more prepared or atleast look somewhere else.

THANKS to all the ladies who keep posting helpful websites and books. I and others are grateful for the knowledge.

And I agree with the other ladies who said they would share. If someone shows up at our house and needs assisstance, we will work something out. Although, they will have to share a room with 2 grandmothers, a great aunt, and a SIL. LOL Better bring their sleeping bag!! :D

These threads keep popping up. I know there's a full moon rising, too, so I'll put some of it off to the usual lunacy, but I have to say this:

I'm of the opinion, that if you think you're going to start "now" to be self-sufficient, you're deluded and scr*wed from the get go. You don't just go buy a parcel of land and suddenly become a farmer. It takes a lot of investment to get to the self-sufficient point or even to the mostly self-sufficient point. It doesn't happen overnight, or over a fortnight, or even over a year or two. It takes time, LOTS of hard physical labour and lots of openmindedness in regard to the way you live.

I think that almost any one of the farm folks on this board would tell you there is no quick fix, there are no short-cuts, it isn't cheap, and it isn't for the faint hearted.

I said NOTHING in my op about being self-sufficient. In fact, I pointed out that we are about as far from that as anyone could be. I was looking for practical suggestions to face what is clearly coming our way in terms of hyper-inflation. The "lunacy" comment in regard to my question was off base!

Paraphrasing...

Beginning of thread..."is it worth it to buy an extra box of cereal a week and learn how to change the oil in my car myself?"

End of thread..."Beware of the cannibals and zombies...learn how to hollow out your neighbor's carcass to live inside of it..."

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Exactly. I guess I think that we can prepare for a couple weeks or month, but if we are in really dire straights we need to have more of a survival instinct.

:lol::lol::lol:

Exactly. I guess I think that we can prepare for a couple weeks or month, but if we are in really dire straights we need to have more of a survival instinct.

Horror and starvation aside, it would be interesting to see which genetic differneces turned out to be useful in an "end of civilization" scenario. For example, I just read a book that mentioned one theory about anorexia, which was basically that, prehistorically, in times of famine, there were some people who get a rush from not eating instead of feeling like crap like the rest of us. They would see themselves as fat and healthy even when they were starving and emaciated, and this would allow them to remain optimistic and keep going. These people were the ones who would drive the "herd" to keep moving to find food. Obviously we don't know if this is correct or not, but there is some evidence in the genes of anorexic people to support something like this.

My anger problem would probably come in handy now and again, too. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Mergath

Horror and starvation aside, it would be interesting to see which genetic differneces turned out to be useful in an "end of civilization" scenario. For example, I just read a book that mentioned one theory about anorexia, which was basically that, prehistorically, in times of famine, there were some people who get a rush from not eating instead of feeling like crap like the rest of us. They would see themselves as fat and healthy even when they were starving and emaciated, and this would allow them to remain optimistic and keep going. These people were the ones who would drive the "herd" to keep moving to find food. Obviously we don't know if this is correct or not, but there is some evidence in the genes of anorexic people to support something like this.

My anger problem would problem come in handy now and again, too. :tongue_smilie:

You know what would be really scary? All the people withdrawing from meds they can't get. Absolutely frightening.

They will be the zombies! :lol:

I don't know, being married to a large, hairy bipolar man who has to take a truckoad of meds to stay level, I'm going to say more like werewolves. Big, slobbering, growling, biting werewolves.

Although, I'm guessing a lot of them would medicate with booze, and the bootleggers would thrive.

There we go. You can all have your farms- I'm going to learn how to make liquor and eventually have a small empire. Heh.

Guest homesteadma
Have any of you watched www.endofamerica15.com ? it's a free video on line.

www.backwoodshome.com is a really good website and has a great magazine with articles written by people who are "walking the walk" not just "talking the talk." They have a lot of info on self-sufficiency, gardening, canning, storing food etc. We have subscribed to their magazine for years now.

You know what would be really scary? All the people withdrawing from meds they can't get. Absolutely frightening.

:001_huh:

Thanks, ladies. Now I am going to have nightmares. Maybe we won't be so helpful to others after all. What help are a bunch of ADHD people without meds?

:lol:

I don't know, being married to a large, hairy bipolar man who has to take a truckoad of meds to stay level, I'm going to say more like werewolves. Big, slobbering, growling, biting werewolves.

Although, I'm guessing a lot of them would medicate with booze, and the bootleggers would thrive.

There we go. You can all have your farms- I'm going to learn how to make liquor and eventually have a small empire. Heh.

Remind me to pair one of my dc (who shall remain nameless) with the big hairy man. They'll probably understand each other.:tongue_smilie:

www.backwoodshome.com is a really good website and has a great magazine with articles written by people who are "walking the walk" not just "talking the talk." They have a lot of info on self-sufficiency, gardening, canning, storing food etc. We have subscribed to their magazine for years now.

I used to buy that magazine years ago. My dh would never let me subscribe to it because he was convinced that a subscription to that magazine would get you on an FBI watch list.

:lol:;)

Edited by Renee in FL

Since I am the one who said "can I come live with you?", I will address this.

It was a rheotrical question. Of course I cant really come live with her, I dont know where she lives. This is a viritual world of community, not reality. And I think other posters who say something akin to that, dont mean it sincerely. How could they possibly know how to get to anyone's house?

It was asked in order to convey, "WOW!! You have done a great job!!" and in hindsight I wish I had just said that.

I have no intention of squatting. My family is sustained.

If someone seriously thinks they can come live with you, I guess it is good that you ladies got all expectations laid out beforehand.

And I guess if someone really hasn't thought through their contingency plan, it was good to wake them up to the reality that not all people will be willing to help them. So they better be a little more prepared or atleast look somewhere else.

THANKS to all the ladies who keep posting helpful websites and books. I and others are grateful for the knowledge.

And I agree with the other ladies who said they would share. If someone shows up at our house and needs assisstance, we will work something out. Although, they will have to share a room with 2 grandmothers, a great aunt, and a SIL. LOL Better bring their sleeping bag!! :D

You don't know where she lives but I am sure people have said that to her IRL.

I have had relatives say that to me and it does worry me! I have been trying to raise as much of our own food as possible for 10 years and I don't even come close, probably not even fifty percent but since I have a huge garden and some livestock, not nearly enough to feed my family (just a few chickens, goats, and maybe a steer) they act like they can just come on over. No need for them to prepare.:glare: I don't worry much about domesday or the end of the world as we know it but when it does cross my mind this is a very real fear of mine, that people will come and feel entitled to what little my family will have. It's not that I wouldn't want to help but you can work so hard and have so little. I've even thought it would be a good idea to cut down our trees so our home wouldn't stand out on the prairie. You could still see the shop from the highway though so might as well leave the trees. I would feel a little better if our place could not be seen from any main roads.(I'm more worried about strangers myself)

All that to say some of us country folk are a little sensitive to such statements and it's not because we don't want to help others.:)