Menu

Tell me how you protect your books.

I assumed you meant bOOks and I was going to say, Eat a low-fat diet, exercise, and get mammograms. :D

Sorry I can't answer your real question.

Heh.

Kevlar? Works in either context. :)

I'm afraid I'm not much help, either. Beyond no reading in the bathtub, I haven't found a good way to protect books from being used to death.

My MIL worked in a library. She has, from time to time, reinforced the bindings of our well loved books with clear packing tape. I think libraries often do this? At any rate, it does hold books together that would otherwise fall apart here...at least for much longer. The other day I was looking at one of my son's books and trying to figure out how the pages were still in there at all and I realized it was one my MIL fixed. She does it neatly. I tried once and had wrinkles in the tape.

Other than that--a well loved book that has come apart irretrievably is just replaced here. I often keep those "broken" books though for sentimental reasons.

When my ds took a PE class in K at the ps (participating in some classes is an option at our school), I volunteered in the school library, covering the books with clear contact paper. There's a trick to cutting the contact paper just right, but I'll bet you could Google something like "how to books contact paper" and find out how.

Cat

I would rather have books falling apart from being loved to death than in perfect condition on my shelves. That said, it's got to be hard in such a large family, and things are probably "loved to death" more quickly than in smaller families. When I notice a book wearing out, I get clear packing tape and repair it. Up the spine and around the edges of the front and back cover give it a lot of durability. There's no reason you can't do this with softcover books as they come into the house. Also, buying hardback books when possible will help, but that can get pricey. Also, I get very irate when people leave books laying open face down. My kids know I hate this. Any scrap of paper is an acceptable bookmark. Right now, we're pressing some of our first spring flowers which we'll laminate in clear contact paper to make bookmarks. :)

When my ds took a PE class in K at the ps (participating in some classes is an option at our school), I volunteered in the school library, covering the books with clear contact paper. There's a trick to cutting the contact paper just right, but I'll bet you could Google something like "how to books contact paper" and find out how.

Cat

I do this. There's youtube videos and such, if you google it. I just get contact paper from Walmart or the office supply store, in the rolls. Since I started doing it last summer, are books are lasting a bit longer. ;-)

I hate when I buy books from you all here & they're pristine. :glare: :lol:

LOL, so in this discussion I got a little more than I bargained for. Glad I didn't ask you how to protect my TEApot.... I dropped a bowl on it the other day and it got quite a ding. What a conversation that would have made. :001_huh:

The quote above - it also makes me WONDER when I see those after I buy used. Buying used helps alleviate some of the guilt, but how in the world does a library protect their books?!?! Certainly they have more readers checking out and abusing their books than just my little 'ole family. We're on our third edition of some books. It just seems like such a terrible thing - not caring for something properly so that you have to purchase more and waste resources - both the book and the money, kwim?

We protect our books by putting them in our minds. :D

Seriously, I get upset when I see books laying in the middle of the floor, but cracked spines, folded pages, books open and facing down on the table, snagged pages, even chewed corners... it means they're serving their purpose. Well, maybe not the whole chewing thing, lol.

For the record, my mother would faint if she read this!