Menu

Classical Education

As much as I am drawn to some aspects of Classical Education I am really feeling like overall it is not a great fit for me.

I wondered if you might be willing to share some of the reason you chose this method.

How much of the Classical method do you feel you have embraced and are able to implement in your home school journey?

Besides the WTM are there other resources that helped you solidify your commitment to Classical education?

I am thankful to have found this site & have learned a tremendous amount from everyone here. Are there other sites similar to this one that cater to other educational methods? I would love any recommendations.

Thank you for your time & your wisdom.

Hi!

Here is a recent thread you might enjoy.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23176&highlight=classical+education

I posted in that thread about being drawn to the medieval model of classical education. I love that each of the liberal arts is carefully chosen because of the skills it teaches and the content one studies to learn those skills. And the goal for the medieval Christians was to know God, and so they ordered their learning with theology and poetics (we understand God best in metaphor and poetically) as the queen subjects. It was also more important to me that wisdom and virtue be cultivated in my children than a certain set of marketable job skills. I'll also admit to liking things that are older, time-tested, well-crafted, and have shown to produce excellent thinkers and communicators, which classical education certainly has. I'm suspicious of "new" (post-1800 or so) theology, philosophy, educational methods. ;)

I've fully embraced the goals and ideals of a Classical education. But recognize there may be subjects we approach less "classically", depending on who is doing the defining.

Whew, other resources..."The Latin-Centered Curriculum", "Climbing Parnassus", Charlotte Mason's "Original Homeschooling Series", the lectures and thinking of those involved with the Circe Institute (a classical "think tank" and teacher training organization), Doug Wilson's books, "Norms and Nobility" by David Hicks.

AmblesideOnline and the various yahoo groups created to support those who use that curriculum is a helpful site if you're interested in learning more about Charlotte Mason's methods. Sonlight is a living books curriculum and has a message board to support that (though I think there might be a fee to join).

Best of luck finding the best fit for your family's learning journey!

Jami

Hi,

For our family, I don't really focus on classical as much as what each child needs. I'm often too aggressive and have to back off because I've been unrealistic, but my initial thoughts are more along the lines of what do I want for our kids and what curriculum will get me there.

I'm learning quickly (actually over and over) no one can do it all. You have to prioritize. And for me this means telling myself over and over--reading, writing, rithmetic, Spanish, and Latin.

Latin's not nearly as important to me as Spanish. So I want to spend more time on Spanish and almost let my kids self-learn Latin with me as a guide. It does offer us vocabulary, grammar, and a bunch of other stuff that makes it worthwhile for us.

My suggestion is start with the basics or go back to the basics and then just add on from there.

Good Luck!

Kimberly

I am interested in giving my children a classical education because I think that in order to understand the present, you have to understand the past. This goes even further than just knowing history, although obviously I think the history-centric curriculum is great. I particularly enjoy how the history is not disjointed, the way it usually is taught in schools, with entire continents ignored and huge gaps.

As for the other subjects, I guess I'm just a traditionalist. Learning Latin teaches so much about English. Logic and rhetoric teach us not only how to get our points across, but also how to understand the points that other people, both past and present, make. All the nitpicky stuff that has been taken out of so many public school curricula, like grammar and spelling and music appreciation and art criticism, lead to a deeper and richer understanding of the world. We are not religious, but by teaching our children about the religions of the world, and what they believe, and their texts, we help them to understand history, art, and literature.

A classical education obviously isn't for everyone, but I think it will turn out the most educated child that can reasonably be expected. Now, the trick here is that there are all sorts of things that "educated" could mean, and that's kind of the point... all homeschool parents have to pick out the program or ideology that they think will best prepare their child for the world. So I guess it depends on how you see the world!

I remember going from the grammar to the logic stage myself. I remember the more gradual transistion to the rhetoric stage (not really in high school, more in college and my early 20s). I remember how it felt to piece arguments together, and how it felt to no longer be able to memorize almost effortlessly.

So I felt that, for instance, it was crucial for DD to learn her math facts and some foreign language, and grammar, and Bible verses while she was still young enough to memorize easily. I felt that a door would slowly close later on, and that it was well worth it to insist on more learning of that kind of thing in her early years than a lot of homeschooling philosophies call for.

Also, I love history, and I love the idea of tying literature and history together. I have read to DD since she was about 3 weeks old, and so this love of good language as well as of developing a clear sense of the sweep of history and of contexts really resonated with me.

I don't teach science as the WTM does, nor do I teach Latin (although we are using a Latin and Greek vocabulary program). But TWTM has convinced me that it is thorough and complete. If I don't do everything it recommends, and my DD is incompletely educated it is a choice, not an accident. Since one of my most pressing, wake-you-up-at-night fears about homeschooling has been whether I would inadvertantly forget an entire course of significant study, this is huge for me.

DD did not learn on the WTM schedule, but WTM has informed and calmed her entire education.

Don't have much time to write about what we're doing -but thought I'd throw out the resources that have helped me the most.

Latin Centered Curriculum - Drew Campbell (can't wait for the new edition!!!)

Thomas Jefferson Education - Oliver Demille (as well as his other books)

Latin Ed yahoo group

Smiles,

Shalynn

What isn't working?

There are lots of options out there, and one has to fit you and your children.

I started out much more Ruth Beechick and Charlotte Mason. Couldn't stand the thought of a workbook, anything boxed, tests, ect... I still follow those methods with my younger kids (hate doing memorizing in the younger stages, so WTM wouldn't work here), but as I continue to move forward with my oldest I have become more classical. RB just is too relaxed for me as it moves ahead, and the material tend to spiral and I am strictly a mastery gal.

You will find you niche, the bigger question is how long will it take? I hope for your sanity not long. ;)

Heather

How much of the Classical method do you feel you have embraced and are able to implement in your home school journey?

I love TWTM but we streamlined our school with ideas from The Latin Centered Curriculum. I got the idea from the author's blog to keep our subjects per day to a max of 5.

Non-readers study mathematics (Singapore), phonics (Spell to Write and Read phonograms) and penmanship (copywork starting with letters and moving to words and sentences). For my youngest I have use some Rod and Staff materials.

When they start reading we add in grammar, and Latin (Minimus then Latin Prep). History and science study starts when they are interested in it. My oldest loves Story of the World. We use My Pals are Here from Singapore Math for Science.

Besides the WTM are there other resources that helped you solidify your commitment to Classical education?

The Well Trained Mind

The Latin Centered Curriculum by Drew Campbell

Teaching The Trivium by the Bluedorns.

and of course these boards are a wealth of information, help and guidance.

Hope you find your way.:001_smile:

As much as I am drawn to some aspects of Classical Education I am really feeling like overall it is not a great fit for me.

Which aspects appeal to you and which don't?

It's sometimes hard to distill the essence of a method amid the flurry of curriculum choices. The question I ask of every method is: What vision of an educated person does this method put forth (or imply)? And does that match my own vision? If so, the method is probably a good fit, at least as a starting point. How you apply your chosen method will depend on your dc's needs, your resources, etc.

If you want to get a sense of how classical education developed and what its historical meaning is, I highly recommend The Great Tradition and Climbing Parnassus. They are not light reading, but they will give you a good grasp of what "classical" means apart from a particular set of curriculum recommendations. HTH!

I have been bouncing around educational methods trying to find the one true fit for our family. I think I have tried every method known to man but I always keep coming back to Classical. I think the definition of Classical is what keeps drawing me back: the pursuit of wisdom and virtue by nourishing our souls with all things that are of truth, goodness and beauty.

I am reading Norms and Nobility by David Hicks right now. It is a great read, albeit a difficult read. This is my third attempt at this book and, finally, I am understanding what he is talking about. Climbing Parnassus is another book that lit my spark for CE. Also Circe Institute has some great articles about CE that I have been enjoying reading. Circe also offers CD sets from their yearly CE conference. I recently purchased a set. There is so much good stuff in these CD's. I think I am finally 'getting' what CE is all about.

For my family Classical Education seems to be choosing us instead of the other way around . My daughters seem to learn well using this method it seems . Though right now we are using it losely as I'm using Calvert ( which is a semi classical curriculum ) right now . This method of schooling seems to really draw my daughters in so I am willing to give it a try . I've used lots of methods and really consider myself as ecclectic in nature and will always use what works best for my daughters to help in their learning journey .

Right now I'm looking at the Latin Centered Curriculum . I recieved a catalog from Memoria Press today and I'll admit out of all of the things I read in the catalog this book seems to have caught my attention . Especially with the simplicity of the curriuclum ( which for me simple is good at the moment ) .

I think what appeals to me is that this is an education, a foundation, for a rich life....not just a means to a career or any other sort of jumping through hoops. It builds mental muscles, it is broad and nourishing and deep. It doesn't set a child up for a life of shallow entertainment and self centred materialism, although it doesnt excluse anything either. It is designed to stimulate and activate many aspects of our being, and make us mature people, not superficial ones. I think in many ways it encourages children to be more selfless, which in a way is the opposite of how modern education works, which is all about catering to kids' lower selves in many ways. I am not even Christian but the moral aspect, the appreciation of truth and beauty, appeals to me. And what appealed to me originally and is still relevant, is that here are a group of people aiming for a very rigorous education, rather than allowing their children to just follow their own interests. It doesn't exclude kids following their own interests, but it is about parenting them and guiding them.

I would be considered fairly relaxed as a classical homeschooler, and I draw a lot on Charlotte Mason ideas lately, but its all classically influenced and its just so .....engaging, interesting, enlivening..as longs as our lives are balanced and not all spent with our heads in books.

Thank you all for your kind, thoughtful, & informative answers, wisdom, advice, & encouragement. I appreciate everything you shared.

You have given me much to think about & many helpful resources to explore. You have provided me with some views & conclusions that I had not considered. I am thankful I posed the question & am most thankful for the wealth & depth of knowledge & personal convictions that you each shared.

You have given me much food for thought & I am thankful.

Bless You.

For me, TWTM was the thing that got me excited, so I knew it was the right one for me :) I like the history cycle, and have created a religious studies plan based on this 4 year cycle and the idea of reading the picture story version of great books, then the abridged version, then finally reading the original (or decent translation) in the rhetoric stage. It seems thorough, which is one of the problems I have with my own 'here and there', sketchy education.

I see it as a foundation to work from, and I will follow or ignore the advice as I see fit. So, I have a classically built house, but the colour scheme varies from room to room (if we can pretend each room is a subject of study.) I repaint the walls now and then...

I've actually read a lot of unschooling stuff. I'm a touch autocratic by nature, and the classical method encourages that in me. The unschooling stuff helps me remember to chill out :) It's good for my character, :D!

I think few on here are strictly classical. Many use a religious brand of classical, others use a Charlotte Mansoned classical method, others are completely eclectic. Most start off one way and morph as becomes appropriate for their family. There is no "one size fits all" method of education, as you know. Take what you like about the classical method, and fill the gaps with anything else that seems more sensible for you and your family.

:)

Rosie

I was drawn to the classical model because the basic framework and the focus on teaching differently in each stage of student development appealed to me. I wanted to provide a rigorous education to my kids, but I also wanted to inspire a love of learning. TWTM's advice has enabled me to do both. I love that we are studying history chronologically using well-written living books that inspire my kids, projects that bring our studies to life, and field trips that excite them. I love that their own history narrations, paragraphs, and summaries are based on areas of history that specifically interest them. There is so much freedom for independent learning and exploration within TWTM model.

I also love where my kids are going. When I read TWTM high school section I get really inspired. I'm excited about the level of work but I'm also excited about offering my kids the opportunity to job shadow or apprentice in an area of interest. What better way to figure out where they're going after high school? I'm excited about the wisdom they will gain through careful study of the classics and I'm looking forward to the ensuing discussions. I'm also committed to providing the kind of writing instruction that will enable them to speak or write persuasively to a number of different audiences.

I think the classical model will provide a varied and rigorous education to enable them to move in any direction they would like to after high school. I think the training received in a classical education will enable them to be independent learners who are motivated to figure things out in new situations. I think that the freedom and individualization as outlined in TWTM will allow my kids to take ownership of their education and to feel personally invested in what they learn. And I'm having a really fun time working through it with them : )

Sarah