Menu

What do you LOVE for 1st grade? :-)

profmom

This is my 9th year of homeschooling, but I'm back at 1st grade in the fall with my youngest! I plan to use FLL again, and, after we finish 100EL this year for K, I plan to follow up with Funnix 2. Also, we have enjoyed CLE math with my ds, so we will likely go that route with my youngest too.

Other than those, though, I'm not sure what I want to use and would love input. There are many new programs since I last taught 1st grade!

Here's what we love for first grade. :001_wub: I know you already have your math picked out, but I listed some I thought were very good for this age.

• RightStart Math B (or start with A)
  • Math Mammoth for extra practice
  • All-About-Spelling
  • Story of the World 1 - Ancients
  • Handwriting Without Tears
  • R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - Life
  • Elementary Spanish Grade 1
  • Song School Latin
  • Meet the Masters

The thing my current first grader enjoyed the most this year is a unit from Moving Beyond the Page. We did concept 4 from the 6-8 level and it was great. Each lesson (or thereabouts) had some hands-on (good for him), some workbook (a break for me), and some reading. Comparing how well he learned from that with trying now to pull him into the reading/narrating (we're doing oral narrations instead of the written) from Noeo books with his older brother, I wish for his sake we had another MBtP unit for him to do.

Here's what we love for first grade. :001_wub: I know you already have your math picked out, but I listed some I thought were very good for this age.

• RightStart Math B (or start with A)

• Math Mammoth for extra practice

• All-About-Spelling

• Story of the World 1 - Ancients

• Handwriting Without Tears

• R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - Life

• Elementary Spanish Grade 1

• Song School Latin

• Meet the Masters

We LOVE all of the bolded ones. However I haven't used the others. But wanted to say we agree :)

Here's what we'll be using for First grade:

RightStart B

First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind

Writing With Ease

Explode the Code

Phonics Pathways

All About Spelling

A Reason for Handwriting

Artistic Pursuits

Tapestry of Grace Year 1

Song School Latin (may wait to start this in 2nd grade)

Not sure about Science yet....checking out God's Design for Life, Elemental Science, etc. Definitely Biology a la WTM.

Edited by jewel7123
forgot something!

Favorites here are:

Writing With Ease (mine, not his :D)

Math Mammoth

All About Spelling

Not necessarily in that order... AAS is probably our absolute favorite!

We like everything in my sig, except I think I still have ES Intro in there for science, and we've pretty much dropped that. We're going a different route for science now.

Five in a Row and Moving Beyond the Page are good if you aren't married to the idea of starting ancient history in 1st grade. (We did half MBTP and half FIAR one year and really enjoyed it.) As a bonus, both programs include science, social studies and some language arts and art.

Story of the World w/AG if you really want to start the history cycle

WWE

Atelier Art

You mentioned you already had math, but we loved Right Start and MEP.

Five in a Row and Moving Beyond the Page are good if you aren't married to the idea of starting ancient history in 1st grade. (We did half MBTP and half FIAR one year and really enjoyed it.) As a bonus, both programs include science, social studies and some language arts and art.

I'm familiar with FIAR because I used it with my older kids and have been using it loosely this year. What is the difference between FIAR and MBTP? For some reason, I have trouble with implementing FIAR -- feels too loose or something? It might work better for me if I planned the whole year in detail and then followed those plans??

I'm familiar with FIAR because I used it with my older kids and have been using it loosely this year. What is the difference between FIAR and MBTP? For some reason, I have trouble with implementing FIAR -- feels too loose or something? It might work better for me if I planned the whole year in detail and then followed those plans??

MBTP has more specifically laid out plans, they have a few options to choose from, but it's more expected you'll do most of the activities.

It does help me to plan in advance, like 4 weeks or so at a time, so I wouldn't freak out if we didn't stick to the long-term plan and end up rushing or feeling like we were missing out.

I'm doing 1st grade for the 6th time but this is the first time we have used Explode the Code. Love it. Where has it been all my life??? ;)

Also using Handwriting Without Tears for the first time. It's going really well too. I'm impressed.

We are using Sonlight Core K and LA 1 and I'm really happy with them too. In three weeks ds6 has done three 'writing assignments' as well as copywork. Gotta love that!!!!