Menu

Planning to drive from Chicago to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone

We're planning a trip for Sept. after everyone has gone back to school. Has anyone taken a similar route? I've been trying to map our route and what there is to see along the way. I've just begun and have never been to SD before. I know there's a corn museum that looks like an interesting stop and of course we plan to see Mr Rushmore and spend some time in the badlands before going to Yellowstone.

I'd also love any advice on where to stay, either in SD or near Yellowstone. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! :001_smile:

I'd also love any advice on where to stay, either in SD or near Yellowstone. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! :001_smile:

If it's at all possible, I'd stay in Yellowstone. We live about 2 1/2 hours away and try to go once a year. The Old Faithful Inn is wonderful and the old rooms w/o private bathrooms are the best (IMO) because they are closer to the central part of the Inn. We've stayed at several other places inside the park, but I think Old Faithful Inn is my favorite :) In the evenings, they have a pianist on the balcony and it's just a neat place to hang out after all the day guests have left.

We made the same trip, but on the way from my brother's wedding in 2000. A really fun place to stay in South Dakota is in Deadwood ;) Lots to see and explore! On the way from Chicago there is a Ghost Town---but not really because I think they shipped in a lot of the houses---but I don't recall the actual name of it, but you can't miss it because it's advertised on billboards along the highway. Don't miss Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower in Wyoming either. There is a great place at Mammoth Hot Springs to stay in Yellowstone----cute little cabins to rent. And the Old Faithful Inn is really cool too. ;)

Don't forget about Ingall's homestead in De Smet. There is a Prehistoric Indian Village in Mitchell, too, (along with the Corn Palace). (links are to pics on my blog of our visits there last summer).

Are you going through Sioux Falls? The Pettigrew Museum is cool, along with The Falls (of course). Down town has a wonderful sculpture walk.

If it's at all possible, I'd stay in Yellowstone. We live about 2 1/2 hours away and try to go once a year. The Old Faithful Inn is wonderful and the old rooms w/o private bathrooms are the best (IMO) because they are closer to the central part of the Inn. We've stayed at several other places inside the park, but I think Old Faithful Inn is my favorite :) In the evenings, they have a pianist on the balcony and it's just a neat place to hang out after all the day guests have left.

Thank you! I checked it out and they're a bit more than we wanted to spend per night, but I just booked a few nights in the little cabins right next store at a more reasonable rate. :D Apparently you can still walk right next door and enjoy the lobby area.

We did this trip last summer from the Detroit area to Yellowstone - it was awesome! So many great things to stay along the way - we camped the whole way, but if you like to stay in hotels or cabins I'd suggest the cabins in Yellowstone (it is so cool to wake up to the sunrise in the park and watch the wildlife go right by your cabin).

Our favorite place along the way was Custer State Park in South Dakota. We camped there a couple days while we did Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, and all the other little things around there. Custer is beautiful. We stayed at Sylvan lake - here's a picture. There are some really neat hiking trails around the lake.

2293286234_0c34cea4bd.jpg

Edited by BramFam
I didn't take the picture - it was overcast when we stayed.

We made the same trip, but on the way from my brother's wedding in 2000. A really fun place to stay in South Dakota is in Deadwood ;) Lots to see and explore! On the way from Chicago there is a Ghost Town---but not really because I think they shipped in a lot of the houses---but I don't recall the actual name of it, but you can't miss it because it's advertised on billboards along the highway. Don't miss Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower in Wyoming either. There is a great place at Mammoth Hot Springs to stay in Yellowstone----cute little cabins to rent. And the Old Faithful Inn is really cool too. ;)

Hadn't considered going to Deadwood. I'll check it out. Have to look into the Devil's Tower as well. Thanks!!!

We did this trip last summer from the Detroit area to Yellowstone - it was awesome! So many great things to stay along the way - we camped the whole way, but if you like to stay in hotels or cabins I'd suggest the cabins in Yellowstone (it is so cool to wake up to the sunrise in the park and watch the wildlife go right by your cabin).

Our favorite place along the way was Custer State Park in South Dakota. We camped there a couple days while we did Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, and all the other little things around there. Custer is beautiful. We stayed at Sylvan lake - here's a picture. There are some really neat hiking trails around the lake.

2293286234_0c34cea4bd.jpg

WOW!!! That is fabulous! I'll definitely check that out. Thank you!

No suggestions on where to stay, but we are going up to Yellowstone this summer. We plan on camping while we are there. Now in September I would not recommend it, unless you really plan for the weather it can get cold. It tends to cool off a lot here that time of year. Well anytime past the last week of August you can expect the temps to drop.

No suggestions on where to stay, but we are going up to Yellowstone this summer. We plan on camping while we are there. Now in September I would not recommend it, unless you really plan for the weather it can get cold. It tends to cool off a lot here that time of year. Well anytime past the last week of August you can expect the temps to drop.

We were hoping for slightly cooler than summer temps and are planning on staying in lodging of some sort (hoping for rustic cabins) so I'm hoping the weather won't be a problem. Are the daytime temps comfortable in mid Sept?

We were hoping for slightly cooler than summer temps and are planning on staying in lodging of some sort (hoping for rustic cabins) so I'm hoping the weather won't be a problem. Are the daytime temps comfortable in mid Sept?

It really depends. . . there can be snow in September. We had to cancel our trip a couple of years ago over Memorial Day weekend because of a serious snowstorm, and since we typically go either early or late in the season (May or Sept, Oct), I always pack for the possibility of cold weather. We went in 2009 in May and although there was still a lot of snow on the ground, and many trails closed, the weather was beautiful and sunny. And that was the first year we had had really nice weather since going every year since 1996 (since we're close, we should really try going in the middle of summer for better weather, but it's usually more of a last minute thing and we call to see what's available at the Inn as far as rooms).

It really depends. . . there can be snow in September. We had to cancel our trip a couple of years ago over Memorial Day weekend because of a serious snowstorm, and since we typically go either early or late in the season (May or Sept, Oct), I always pack for the possibility of cold weather. We went in 2009 in May and although there was still a lot of snow on the ground, and many trails closed, the weather was beautiful and sunny. And that was the first year we had had really nice weather since going every year since 1996 (since we're close, we should really try going in the middle of summer for better weather, but it's usually more of a last minute thing and we call to see what's available at the Inn as far as rooms).

I had no idea they could get snow in Sept. Wow! :001_huh: Any other ideas for stops along the way? I'm trying to determine if we should stop anywhere else in the Mt. Rushmore area or focus more time on Yellowstone. Anyone?

We did the I-90 thing over the summer. Pipestone in Minnesota was a favorite, unexpected stop. It's about an hour or so north of the highway. In addition to Rushmore, there is Badlands too which was fascinating. At the entrance you can stop at a trailer for the Minute Man monument as well. Not much there, but it was interesting. I think if you get there early enough or make prior arrangements, you can go to a silo. I've heard good things about the Air Force museum too.

In Montana, Little Big Horn was another favorite stop, which would be on the way to Yellowstone North Entrance.

We camped on our trip and stayed at the KOAs. The KOA in West Yellowstone and the Mt. Rushmore KOA are both very nice.

Have fun! (Don't forget your National Parks pass and passport that you can stamp at each stop.) I would recommend the Junior Ranger programs for your kids too. With the exception of Yellowstone, most are able to be completed in an hour or so at the Visitor Centers.

Don't forget about Ingall's homestead in De Smet. .

We loved the Ingall's Homestead! Such a fun, hands-on kind of place. We also enjoyed Wall, SD, the Badlands, Pipestone National Monument, and Devil's Tower National Monument. Be sure to get up before dawn at driving in or out of Yellowstone to see all the amazing animals...wolves and bears especially. We did a Cookout Ride...horseback riding to a cowboy chuckwagon dinner in Roosevelt in Yellowstone. The ride was amazing...dd was too little and daddy was too big for the horses so they rode a chuckwagon out and the food was delicious.

We mostly camped at KOAs and National parks (get a membership to KOAs and they are inexpensive) but did stay in a couple Best Westerns and a little cabin that was reasonably priced called Blue Gables Motel in Buffalo WY. We stayed in Rapid City, SD and saw a Wild West Show and also found a place called Sioux Pottery which was a place where Sioux Indians made the pottery sold at the national parks. They let the kids paint their own piece of pottery while the parents looked around then they fired the pieces and mailed them to us.

We did this a few years back - made a big loop to hit different places going and coming back.

Going - Fort Kearney, Oregon Trail near Scott's Bluff, Wind River Indian Reservation, Jackson Hole in Grand Tetons. Then drove through Yellowstone and stayed just outside the west side of the park in Montana (West Yellowstone). We did hang out a lot at the big hotel in Y. by Old Faithful for food, ambiance. and Coming back, drove out a different park exit and stopped in Cody, WY for a couple days - you MUST have at least one full day there for the Cody Museum http://www.bbhc.org/home/ . We also did Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Custer St. Park, and De Smet. Not sure if in that exact order :-) Oh, and zipped through the Badlands,

Hubby says "Did you say that DeSmet was the Ingalls Wilder site?"

Me - "It is WTM moms - they know that."

Hubby "Well, I wouldn't"

Me - "You aren't a girl."

:D

PS - ripping through middle of nowhere Nebraska or Dakota you can drive really REALLY fast!!!! zoom zoom!!!! We saw a herd of wild horses, too!

PPS BBC LOTR and Harry Potter make for great audio books on long driving days.

PPPS Now I want to make this road trip!

PPPS doesn't look right - is it PSSSSS???

Oh - and we stayed a night in Deadwood - not what we expected. Not family-friendly.

Edited by JFSinIL

Yes, we do get snow in September. Now for summer temps, that high up in Wyoming would not be to bad on temps. This last summer and I am in the southern part of Wyoming, we only got over 90 a couple times. Other than that we were not to hot. So, up in Yellowstone it will be a lot cooler.

Also once snow starts parts of Yellowstone are harder to get to.

I recommend the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. The kids get to go into the bear area and hide the bears' food. Then the kids exit, the bears are let back in, and the kids watch the bears eat the food they hid. Plan about 2 hours.

Yellowstone was awesome - just incredible. It's huge. Try to read a few guidebooks before you go so you can prioritize what you want to do. You would have to stay a week to come close to seeing everything.

Have fun! (Don't forget your National Parks pass and passport that you can stamp at each stop.) I would recommend the Junior Ranger programs for your kids too. With the exception of Yellowstone, most are able to be completed in an hour or so at the Visitor Centers.

Is there a special benefit to getting the National Parks pass? Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm taking notes and checking them out. :001_smile:

We did this a few years back - made a big loop to hit different places going and coming back.

Going - Fort Kearney, Oregon Trail near Scott's Bluff, Wind River Indian Reservation, Jackson Hole in Grand Tetons. Then drove through Yellowstone and stayed just outside the west side of the park in Montana (West Yellowstone). We did hang out a lot at the big hotel in Y. by Old Faithful for food, ambiance. and Coming back, drove out a different park exit and stopped in Cody, WY for a couple days - you MUST have at least one full day there for the Cody Museum http://www.bbhc.org/home/ . We also did Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Custer St. Park, and De Smet. Not sure if in that exact order :-) Oh, and zipped through the Badlands,

Hubby says "Did you say that DeSmet was the Ingalls Wilder site?"

Me - "It is WTM moms - they know that."

Hubby "Well, I wouldn't"

Me - "You aren't a girl."

:D

PS - ripping through middle of nowhere Nebraska or Dakota you can drive really REALLY fast!!!! zoom zoom!!!! We saw a herd of wild horses, too!

PPS BBC LOTR and Harry Potter make for great audio books on long driving days.

PPPS Now I want to make this road trip!

PPPS doesn't look right - is it PSSSSS???

Oh - and we stayed a night in Deadwood - not what we expected. Not family-friendly.

Love your suggestions and you had me :lol::lol: with your conversation with your dh. Cody was not on my radar but I'm going to consider that for a stop on our way home. Thanks! Btw, how long was your trip? I'm trying to gauge how long we should plan. I was thinking 10-14 days but dh thinks 14 would be too long. What do you think?

Yellowstone was awesome - just incredible. It's huge. Try to read a few guidebooks before you go so you can prioritize what you want to do. You would have to stay a week to come close to seeing everything.

I agree about this - you really can't do justice to Yellowstone with a day, and it's easy to get sidetracked at all there is to see, so I'd plan beforehand what's most important to you to get to, and allow enough time. The upper and lower loops aren't that long in miles, but they take much more time than you expect to drive because of all the traffic, animals in the road, or accidents (we were held up for almost 2 hours once because of a motorcycle accident where they had to life-flight the people out), and held up much more often because of bison in the road, or bears just off the side of the road and traffic comes to a standstill for that (or a very slow crawl).

Love your suggestions and you had me :lol::lol: with your conversation with your dh. Cody was not on my radar but I'm going to consider that for a stop on our way home. Thanks! Btw, how long was your trip? I'm trying to gauge how long we should plan. I was thinking 10-14 days but dh thinks 14 would be too long. What do you think?

About two weeks - we had five nights in Yellowstone (ok, right next to the western entrance), two nights in the cheapest place we could find in Jackson Hole , a night in Cody - spend the better part of two days doing the museum. And - the drive from Yellowstone to Cody is through what Teddy Roosevelt thought the most beautiful part of the country - I would have to agree with him. I wish we could afford to go back and stay in a dude ranch in the area.

Allow several days for Yellowstone - you will spend half your time in the car getting from point A to point B as the bison have the right-of-way and they know it :-)

We did not try to drive too much each day going and coming so as to have time to stop and find the Oregon trail (oh, forgot we stopped to see Chimney Rock, too), tour what remains of Fort Kearney (just because it was on the route - nothing to go out of your way for), etc.

Is there a special benefit to getting the National Parks pass? Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm taking notes and checking them out. :001_smile:

A park pass is about $80 (I think) and gives you entrance into all parks that have entrance fees and sometimes (depending on the park) will give you a discount on cave tours or camping fees. FYI - Mt. Rushmore doesn't have an entrance fee, just a parking fee so they get around letting you in for free with a pass. :glare:

Oh, just wanted to remind you to pack clothing to wear in layers -- it gets really cold at night in WY even when it is summer. (A side note - there was one year as a kid we watched fireworks for the 4th of July while snowflakes were falling. Wyoming weather = unpredictable!) So in the mornings you'll want jacket/coat, a sweatshirt/sweater, and t-shirt at the minimum. That way as it gets warmer you can shed the layers. :)

Edited by BramFam

Don't miss the Badlands on your way to Mt Rushmore - beautiful. We were there in Sept 2 years ago, and it was WINDY. We loved Rushmore, but were disappointed with Crazy Horse. The cost was not justified, in our opinion.

My DH wants me to tell you to make sure you have food in the car for your drive across SD, as there isn't much to stop at. Except Wall Drug - you HAVE to stop there. I bought some beautiful Sioux pottery for my souvenir from SD.

If you are coming through in September, depending on the dates, there is a Buffalo Roundup at Custer State Park that draws in many tourists. You probably can do a search on the State Park and find out actual dates.

I live about 30 miles from Mt. Rushmore...so if you have more specific questions of the area around here, you can PM me.

We have some friends that have a Bed and Breakfast in the Bandlands, if that is one of your stops.

A park pass is about $80 (I think) and gives you entrance into all parks that have entrance fees and sometimes (depending on the park) will give you a discount on cave tours or camping fees. FYI - Mt. Rushmore doesn't have an entrance fee, just a parking fee so they get around letting you in for free with a pass. :glare:

Oh, just wanted to remind you to pack clothing to wear in layers -- it gets really cold at night in WY even when it is summer. (A side note - there was one year as a kid we watched fireworks for the 4th of July while snowflakes were falling. Wyoming weather = unpredictable!) So in the mornings you'll want jacket/coat, a sweatshirt/sweater, and t-shirt at the minimum. That way as it gets warmer you can shed the layers. :)

I'm learning that the weather will probably be colder than I anticipated. We'll definitely be packing some cold weather wear. Luckily we're from the Chicago area so that won't be too hard. :glare:

I agree about this - you really can't do justice to Yellowstone with a day, and it's easy to get sidetracked at all there is to see, so I'd plan beforehand what's most important to you to get to, and allow enough time. The upper and lower loops aren't that long in miles, but they take much more time than you expect to drive because of all the traffic, animals in the road, or accidents (we were held up for almost 2 hours once because of a motorcycle accident where they had to life-flight the people out), and held up much more often because of bison in the road, or bears just off the side of the road and traffic comes to a standstill for that (or a very slow crawl).

I was thinking of spending either 3 or 4 days in Yellowstone and possibly a day or two at Grand Teton. Wish I had a month for this vacation! There's so much I want to see/do.

About two weeks - we had five nights in Yellowstone (ok, right next to the western entrance), two nights in the cheapest place we could find in Jackson Hole , a night in Cody - spend the better part of two days doing the museum. And - the drive from Yellowstone to Cody is through what Teddy Roosevelt thought the most beautiful part of the country - I would have to agree with him. I wish we could afford to go back and stay in a dude ranch in the area.

Great info--this is the kind of info I really need! :001_smile:

Now I forgot to say if you don't mind driving and hour out of your way (and hour from Cody on the way there or back from Yellowstone. Thermopolis is really neat. They have large in door and out door hot springs, with slides and all kinds of stuff. Fun and relaxing.http://www.yellowstonepark.com/things/ThingToDoDetails.aspx?magacatid=5&tid=46

Now I forgot to say if you don't mind driving and hour out of your way (and hour from Cody on the way there or back from Yellowstone. Thermopolis is really neat. They have large in door and out door hot springs, with slides and all kinds of stuff. Fun and relaxing.http://www.yellowstonepark.com/things/ThingToDoDetails.aspx?magacatid=5&tid=46

Thermopolis is so fun! I loved it there as a kid.