Menu

OT-Streak on baby's leg after immunizations?

My ds10mos has his 4 month shots yesterday. He has a small (1.5 inch?) raised streak coming from one of the injection sites. He also has a low grade fever but is otherwise fine. Normal? I don't remember it with any of my other kids, but it doesn't look too menacing...

PSA: Don't do a google image search for injection site reactions :001_huh:

I'll see if I can get in touch with them. He goes to a military-contracted clinic and they are decidedly unhelpful :glare:

Update: The person I spoke with said that it was likely irritated from something else because he did not have a reaction when he had the previous set. She said as long as his leg isn't warm to the touch or swollen then he is fine. If the bumps spread to other parts of his body then it is systemic and I should take him to the ER. Does this sound right? She seemed more concerned about the fact that he is behind on his immunizations than on his leg :)

Edited by Robin's Song

Update: The person I spoke with said that it was likely irritated from something else because he did not have a reaction when he had the previous set. She said as long as his leg isn't warm to the touch or swollen then he is fine. If the bumps spread to other parts of his body then it is systemic and I should take him to the ER. Does this sound right? She seemed more concerned about the fact that he is behind on his immunizations than on his leg :)

Excuse the language: That's CRAP... just because he didn't have a reaction the first time, doesn't mean he won't another time.

If it was my child, I'd be taking him in...and probably not the military facility. ;)

I'll see if I can get in touch with them. He goes to a military-contracted clinic and they are decidedly unhelpful :glare:

Pretty sure that means exactly nothing.

:cursing:

And THAT is why so many docs think vaccine reactions are rare. No one will even consider that a reaction could be from the vaccine, much less actually SEE the kid to investigate. :glare: I hope he feels better soon!! :grouphug:

And THAT is why so many docs think vaccine reactions are rare. No one will even consider that a reaction could be from the vaccine, much less actually SEE the kid to investigate. :glare: I hope he feels better soon!! :grouphug:

Um. Yea. My oldest SCREAMED a high-pitched scream for HOURS after his second set of vaccines. It was horrible. I took him back in to the dr and she said it was completely normal - not a reaction to the vaccine. I didn't know enough at the time to push the issue and report it. He also spiked a fever of 106 that night. It was horrible. We were at the ER and they also said that it couldn't be from the shots. We were stupid enough to believe them.

So, my kid's reaction is NOT an official reaction. How many more are there?

I don't know about the bumps, but as for the line, she's right about the leg being hot or swollen if there was an infection. At least, that's what I've been told from my doctor, who is awesome and I completely trust.

My dd and I both break out in various rashes pretty much weekly because we have sensitive skin.

If it was me, I'd keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't be in full-blown panic mode.