Menu

Dr. Hive: infant reflux meds

I just don't have time to research this fully right now, so I am turning to the Hive! If you HAD to put your newborn on an acid reflux med, which one would you want?

I tried one for my fourth and it was a liquid that tasted like peppermint. He would vomit as soon as it hit his stomach. I tried it and I also gagged. I called the pharmacy thinking there had been a mistake and they told me that infants could not taste the nastiness; that is why they were at danger of drinking poisons. After my son's reaction, I just don't believe that! But I have no idea what med it was. It obviously did not work for him, as he vomited every time I gave it to him.

(I am not wanting to debate about whether or not meds should be given.) Thank you. :001_smile:

I can't answer your question, but

I I called the pharmacy thinking there had been a mistake and they told me that infants could not taste the nastiness; that is why they were at danger of drinking poisons. After my son's reaction, I just don't believe that!

:eek:

That's terrible! Of course they can taste!

The nasty medication was Zantac. My dd9 had the same response. I found this online though:

The manufacturer of Zantac has finally responded to all the parent

complaints about the alcohol and peppermint in their pediatric syrup. They

released a tablet with no alcohol that is citrus flavored. Tablets

must dissolved in a tiny bit of water. Zantac Efferdose comes in 25 mg

tablets in individual foil packets. The medicine is approved for age 1

month and up.

To find a pharmacy that carries the Efferdose formulation, call the

GlaxoSmithKline Response Center at 888-825-5249

My little boy was on reflux meds beginning around week 3, for several months. He was on the Zantac generic, which is ranitidine. The only flavor you can add is grape, which I did (at at my CVS, they very kindly put in a lot of extra grape, bless them). The medicine IS disgusting. I tasted it myself and could barely taste the grape, even after a lot of flavor had been added; the pharmacist agreed and said that is why adult reflux meds are in capsule form! Poor little babies. :sad:

The grape helped enough, however, that my baby took the meds without any complaint or problem.

HTH.

The med. you're talking about was probably Zantac. It has a very strong, nasty mint taste..you can smell it strongly when you open the bottle. My dd2 had reflux, it was awful! One thing that also helped was a hazelwood necklace for dd. Sounds hippy and weird, but it works. Pm me and I c an give you more info. about where to purchase them from, if you're interested. My dd was able to take half of her prescribed dose b/c of her use of the necklace. My mom had very bad heartburn issues, even on meds, and she started wearing one and ha had amazing relief. :001_smile:

Zantac would be my first choice. My kids have also been on zantac, prevacid, prilosec, nexium, and reglan. I have done reglan, for a very long time, because it was necessary. It will be the only one to actually reduce the volume of spit up significantly. Everything else just makes the spitting up more comfortable for the baby. If zantac doesn't work, and it was nowhere near strong enough for 2 of mine, I would start with prevacid, then go to prilosec, and then nexium. Which is what we did. My youngest was on zantac for only a few months from about 4weeks-3 months and it was fine. My middle ones were on reglan and prevacid for about a year from 6weeks (although they were born 7 weeks early- so really a newborn age) to 1 year, and then prevacid only until they were over 3, and now they are on nexium at 6, almost 7. Reglan is a life saver if you need it but I'd avoid it because of potential side effects if I could.

Thank you all for confirming my thoughts on the peppermint alcohol! I called my ped too, saying that he must have made a prescribing error and given him adult medicine, and he also said that the babies could not taste it! :001_huh: Sounds like a pain, but I will look into the tablets.

I would not even consider Reglan either. It was considered for my last guy, but I said no.

Zantac would be my first choice. My kids have also been on zantac, prevacid, prilosec, nexium, and reglan. I have done reglan, for a very long time, because it was necessary. It will be the only one to actually reduce the volume of spit up significantly. Everything else just makes the spitting up more comfortable for the baby. If zantac doesn't work, and it was nowhere near strong enough for 2 of mine, I would start with prevacid, then go to prilosec, and then nexium. Which is what we did. My youngest was on zantac for only a few months from about 4weeks-3 months and it was fine. My middle ones were on reglan and prevacid for about a year from 6weeks (although they were born 7 weeks early- so really a newborn age) to 1 year, and then prevacid only until they were over 3, and now they are on nexium at 6, almost 7. Reglan is a life saver if you need it but I'd avoid it because of potential side effects if I could.

Can I ask why you would go through the list in that order? Is it because of long term side effects?

Zantac is the first drug of choice because it is inexpensive, should work fast, and doesn't have many side effects. Prevacid is cheaper than prilosec and nexium, and prilosec is cheaper than nexium. Prevacid also comes in a variety of forms so you have more choices of how to deliver the medicine. You can mix it into water, you can crack open a gel cap and mix it in food, or you can give them a solutab that dissolves quickly in their mouths. I've only been offered or seen the pills for prilosec and nexium. Prevacid, prilosec, and nexium can take weeks to see if they will work but I don't think the side effects for them are much different. Those all do about the same thing. We've never had any negative side effects from any of them except that zantac can make them sleepy which was not so bad for an infant. Also, prilosec and nexium are newer drugs which is always more risky.

We had to use zantac as well as a completely dairy free diet for our first.

The medicine is horrible and the only way I could get it in her was to store it in the freezer (it seemed to taste less when cold) and then use a syringe to squirt it way into the back of her throat.

The complete elimination of dairy was actually more help than the zantac.

My dd was put on zantac and reglan as an infant. She did fine with them, but I have now seen complaints about side effects with long term reglan use that would scare me away. I would be ok with the zantac though.

Us too. However, with the reglan we stopped using it a few days after we started because my MIL (nurse) was freaking me out over the side effects.

I just don't have time to research this fully right now, so I am turning to the Hive! If you HAD to put your newborn on an acid reflux med, which one would you want?

I tried one for my fourth and it was a liquid that tasted like peppermint. He would vomit as soon as it hit his stomach. I tried it and I also gagged. I called the pharmacy thinking there had been a mistake and they told me that infants could not taste the nastiness; that is why they were at danger of drinking poisons. After my son's reaction, I just don't believe that! But I have no idea what med it was. It obviously did not work for him, as he vomited every time I gave it to him.

(I am not wanting to debate about whether or not meds should be given.) Thank you. :001_smile:

My son was nursed and had reflux. I finally weaned him and put him on enfamil, Gentleease. That formula has the milk protein broken down and he totally stopped spitting up. I only regretted that noone suggested this to me way earlier. That's why I'm passing it on. Noone knew what his problem was.

My son was nursed and had reflux. I finally weaned him and put him on enfamil, Gentleease. That formula has the milk protein broken down and he totally stopped spitting up. I only regretted that noone suggested this to me way earlier. That's why I'm passing it on. Noone knew what his problem was.

Dd's w as also caused by food allergy, but severe enough that even the hypoallergenic formulas triggered it. The broken-down formulas or cutting out dairy/soy while bfing is always a good first step though :)

Just as an FYI: I don't know if my daughter has reflux. Since birth, she has had noisy breathing with stridor about 1/2 of the time. She is 1 month old now. We have a doctor appointment for Thursday to talk about it. I read on-line that acid reducers are always given to prevent further swelling of the larynx, so I wanted to be prepared to ask for what med I think is best. The doc may have a strong opinion about the best kind of acid reducer to use though. But thanks to you guys I will be pushing to not use liquid Zantac. ;) Something that could dissolve on her tongue sounds easiest, no matter what the price tag is! :D Also, I eat dairy, soy, egg, and gluten free.

My 6 week old was on Nizatidine (1 mL 2x/day) for a week. It did NOTHING so now he is on Lansoprazole, which is a tablet that has to be dissolved in 1oz water and then given by syringe (both were given by syringe). I am hoping this will work!

I wonder if you just gave him too much at once and that is why he threw up? 1 mL is NOTHING but still, I only gave like .2 of a mL at a time so he wouldn't throw it up...just a thought.

I've dealt with reflux with both of my older children and now my newborn. My newborn is by far the worse though, he has silent reflux (not much spitting up and out-you just hear it in the back of his throat). He also has had many choking episodes that have landed us in the ER. One forum I've found that has helped immensely is over at BabyCenter:

http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a3937145/surviving_reflux_dealing_with_the_other_colic---reflux_mspi_and_other_gi_issues

They have a lot of great advice and advice on which meds work well, dosing, alternatives, how to use generics, etc.

The way we get Zantac down when we've been on it, is to just squirt the dose into a nipple and let them suck it down.

Hope you find some good information. Good luck.