Menu

Conventions ???

brewer13399

I told DH I wanted to go to a bigger one then Denver and he goes okay well when are we going. I said um we might have to go back east and yeah that was like we will talk about when you find one.

DH is a long haul trucker so maybe I can get him a load to that place around that time and then it mostly would be paid for fuel wise ;)

I live 30 minutes north of the one in Cincinnat. I was wondering if these are worth the time. Do you get better deals on things or is it a matter of the fact you can look over a bunch of curriculum? I would only go one day.

Typically you get a break on shipping. It all depends on the vendor though. But yes, a lot has to do with getting to look at stuff. Depending on the convention, the speakers can be great.

I won't hate you for living so close to Cincinnati.:lol:

I live 30 minutes north of the one in Cincinnat. I was wondering if these are worth the time. Do you get better deals on things or is it a matter of the fact you can look over a bunch of curriculum? I would only go one day.

More just getting to look over things. There's no shipping but you have to pay sales tax, so, not usually a savings--sometimes you'll find good deals though.

If you go to Cincy, go with a plan...that vendor hall is H-U-G-E!!!

If all you want is a deal, watch the sale/swap boards. I go to the convention because the AUTHORS of things are there.

More just getting to look over things. There's no shipping but you have to pay sales tax, so, not usually a savings--sometimes you'll find good deals though.

If you go to Cincy, go with a plan...that vendor hall is H-U-G-E!!!

Aw Merry, last year was nothin'. This year it's gonna be *double* as in both sides of the exhibit hall, hehe. It was so big last year I could hardly get through it. I've been fainting in advance this year. Actually, last year I went with a stroller and rolling cart and screaming toddler, which was nuts. This year I'll be in the hall alone while the littles are with Grandma. I'm still intimidated. :)

I told DH I wanted to go to a bigger one then Denver and he goes okay well when are we going. I said um we might have to go back east and yeah that was like we will talk about when you find one.

DH is a long haul trucker so maybe I can get him a load to that place around that time and then it mostly would be paid for fuel wise ;)

Hey Brewer, the one in Cincy would be worth coming for! At least a lot of people have flown in for years past. Just make sure you get more than one day. Just trust me, you're gonna want more than one day. There's just no way to do the vendor hall and the workshops and... :)

Again... just jealous... we're all the way in Oregon... I just search on these threads... and through catalogues and dream of hearing good speakers. Something besides how to make sure my kids obey (even though that's important) I guess what i WANT to hear... is how people homeschool all the way... how they have children who look and sound educated... I want the have an "Academically Oriented Homeschool Seminar" :) It'd be nice.. but instead... I live through you all :(

Again... just jealous... we're all the way in Oregon... I just search on these threads... and through catalogues and dream of hearing good speakers. Something besides how to make sure my kids obey (even though that's important) I guess what i WANT to hear... is how people homeschool all the way... how they have children who look and sound educated... I want the have an "Academically Oriented Homeschool Seminar" :) It'd be nice.. but instead... I live through you all :(

I understand. That's why I don't care for the CHEC one here in Colorado. They actually have stated that people have told them they want MORE worldview, parenting, marriage, [insert some other non-education topic here] workshops. I don't believe that for one second.:glare:

Aw Merry, last year was nothin'. This year it's gonna be *double* as in both sides of the exhibit hall, hehe. It was so big last year I could hardly get through it. I've been fainting in advance this year. Actually, last year I went with a stroller and rolling cart and screaming toddler, which was nuts. This year I'll be in the hall alone while the littles are with Grandma. I'm still intimidated. :)

LOL, I know, I've been drooling over it, can't wait to get there! Actually it's only 100 more booths, even though it looks double the size. I didn't count the difference in the number of vendors though (I know there are more, but some also have more booths). I have the layout and booth numbers printed out & am highlighting my plan and have a table set up with booth numbers, the name of the organization, and what items I want to view at their booth. Yes, it's a sickness...

I go to the convention because the AUTHORS of things are there.

This is true for me too! I like to hear them speak (both informally and in sessions) because I find I understand a product better. Even if I've been using something for awhile, listening to the author can help me understand nuances I missed before and get more out of a program, or just encourage me through the rough spots, etc...

You guys are not helping me!:tongue_smilie: I am a first year homeschooler and I want to go to the one in Cincinnati. My dh said he was willing to go and I could sign up if I want, but then I start thinking that we shouldn't spend the money. I had almost talked myself out of it until I read this.

Merry, I didn't know you were going to be there!!!! Are you on the Cincy Convention social group here yet? At some point Sandy will organize a board get together. I asked her about it last week, and she just hasn't had a chance to do it yet. It's always fun. You're way ahead of me on the vendor hall lists. I didn't even know they have them up!!!!! I'm just glad they got the full exhibit hall, not half. That was so crowded last year it was crazy. At one point I was lugging my screaming, hungry toddler, a rolling cart, stroller, *2* plates of food, and of course had dd with her clutter. It was a mess, lol. So the space will be such a welcome relief. But 100 more booths??? WOWSERS, that's all I've got to say. I need new shoes. :)

You guys are not helping me!:tongue_smilie: I am a first year homeschooler and I want to go to the one in Cincinnati. My dh said he was willing to go and I could sign up if I want, but then I start thinking that we shouldn't spend the money. I had almost talked myself out of it until I read this.

You should spend the money.

If you stay the Hilton, there's a pool for the kids. He can take the kids to the Creation Science museum and the Newport Aquarium. And of course the convention has plenty of dads too. The vendors even are kid-friendly and will talk to them. My dd balked the first couple years, but now she loves it. She enjoys meeting the authors of her favorite things, finding new stuff, etc. It's just a lot of fun.

There's really nothing to compare to getting to HEAR Chris Perrin explain why you want to use his logic curriculum or meeting Heather Hobar while she talks about MOH or Martin Cothran explaining his Material Logic and rhetoric books. It's really just of incalculable value. Clearly everyone in this economy who goes is making a sacrifice. It's absolutely worth it. Besides, for $1 extra you get to see the Duggars the last night, hehe. My dd, who as an only for almost 10 years, thinks they're the greatest thing, lol...

PS. Don't forget we have the board get-together, which is also a lot of fun! It's wonderful to make new, likeminded friends you can keep up with during the year and look forward to seeing the next time. :)

LOL, I know, I've been drooling over it, can't wait to get there! Actually it's only 100 more booths, even though it looks double the size. I didn't count the difference in the number of vendors though (I know there are more, but some also have more booths). I have the layout and booth numbers printed out & am highlighting my plan and have a table set up with booth numbers, the name of the organization, and what items I want to view at their booth. Yes, it's a sickness...

Great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about going to the convention in Cincy.... the thing is, I don't know if I will have someone along to help with the kids. I would love to go and hear the speakers and browse the enormous vendor area... but when I imagine trying to do that with two little ones (5 and 3), I just don't know how much I would actually be able to accomplish.

It would be fun to meet some others from the board though. :)

I will wind up going to the HEAV convention in June. Only for the curriculum fair and used book sale.

I have some real issues with many of their regular speakers due to their slant on Patriarchy/dominion theology/rabid young earth philosophy. The last speakers I heard at their convention were SWB and her mother... and his name escapes me, but he's with Summit Ministries and teaches at Bryan College (communication guy).

I wanted to go to the NoVA one, but it's been cancelled. There is one in Glen Allen in a few weeks, that Joy Hakim will be the keynote speaker... I kind of want to go to that one, even if it IS really, really small.

I am thinking about going to the convention in Cincy.... the thing is, I don't know if I will have someone along to help with the kids. I would love to go and hear the speakers and browse the enormous vendor area... but when I imagine trying to do that with two little ones (5 and 3), I just don't know how much I would actually be able to accomplish.

It would be fun to meet some others from the board though. :)

Robin, for ages 5 and up there's a children's program at the Cincy convention. Unfortunately, they don't take the younger siblings. I've taken dd almost every year to Cincy, and ds has gone with me the last two years of his short life (age 6 months and 1 1/2). Really this year, at age 2 1/2, is the time I was pretty sure it wouldn't work. He's not quite old enough to sit still with say a coloring book and not quite young enough to sleep a lot, kwim? It's just a wiggly age. Your 3 yo might be just enough older to be able to sit during sessions and do a bag of activities.

So I guess judge your kids. Most of the sessions have plenty of room to sit to the side or the back with your littles. As long as they can play quietly, they're FINE in the sessions. You could give them audio books on ipods, coloring books, special stuff, things out of the ordinary (read bribery). So the sessions themselves would work. The hard part is that they're going to wear out. It's just a lot of walking and a lot, for two kids that young. They don't want any double strollers in the vendor hall. Do you have a stroller where the one can sit and the other stand behind, so that it's essentially a single? I have a MacLaren stroller that would probably fit many 5 yo's. It's a glorified umbrella stroller and even has a basket underneath. It's what I have used both years of the convention with my ds. I bought a hanging pack that hangs across the handles, and I put diapers, snacks, water bottles, etc. in there. Toys go in the basket under the stroller. Your kids could take turns walking that way.

Do you have a grandma (or grandma figure) who'd be willing to go? My mother is going with us this year, and she's going to take the kids on day trips most of the time. Grandmas get into the convention on your family ticket. Or maybe you know a teen who would go along and play with them? Seriously, there's TONS of room in the halls. If you had a teen sitter, he/she could keep them busy while you're in sessions.

Well good luck figuring it out. It's definitely worth the effort, if you can at all do it.

Robin, for ages 5 and up there's a children's program at the Cincy convention. Unfortunately, they don't take the younger siblings. I've taken dd almost every year to Cincy, and ds has gone with me the last two years of his short life (age 6 months and 1 1/2). Really this year, at age 2 1/2, is the time I was pretty sure it wouldn't work. He's not quite old enough to sit still with say a coloring book and not quite young enough to sleep a lot, kwim? It's just a wiggly age. Your 3 yo might be just enough older to be able to sit during sessions and do a bag of activities.

So I guess judge your kids. Most of the sessions have plenty of room to sit to the side or the back with your littles. As long as they can play quietly, they're FINE in the sessions. You could give them audio books on ipods, coloring books, special stuff, things out of the ordinary (read bribery). So the sessions themselves would work. The hard part is that they're going to wear out. It's just a lot of walking and a lot, for two kids that young. They don't want any double strollers in the vendor hall. Do you have a stroller where the one can sit and the other stand behind, so that it's essentially a single? I have a MacLaren stroller that would probably fit many 5 yo's. It's a glorified umbrella stroller and even has a basket underneath. It's what I have used both years of the convention with my ds. I bought a hanging pack that hangs across the handles, and I put diapers, snacks, water bottles, etc. in there. Toys go in the basket under the stroller. Your kids could take turns walking that way.

Do you have a grandma (or grandma figure) who'd be willing to go? My mother is going with us this year, and she's going to take the kids on day trips most of the time. Grandmas get into the convention on your family ticket. Or maybe you know a teen who would go along and play with them? Seriously, there's TONS of room in the halls. If you had a teen sitter, he/she could keep them busy while you're in sessions.

Well good luck figuring it out. It's definitely worth the effort, if you can at all do it.

Thanks for the encouragement! You definitely make it sound more doable! I checked into the program for kids... If both could go then I would do that but I saw that the cutoff was 5 years old. You're right, the sessions should be okay if I can pack enough stuff to keep them busy. It's good to know that they are pretty relaxed about it and that there's room for kids etc... Some conventions aren't so kid friendly! Last year at our local convention the rough part was trying to stop and talk to vendors and look at materials. The kids were tired and ready to go... My mom did go with us to that so she kept the kids out in the hall or in the hotel room most of the time. I'm not sure if she will be able to go to OH or not.. she hasn't given me a definite yes or no. If she can go I think that would definitely seal the deal.

I have a Mac umbrella also so I will definitely bring that if we end up going... Or maybe I should borrow someone's sit n stand or get one on craigslist for cheap. It might be worth it...b/c the kids are sure to argue over whose turn it is to sit in the stroller!

So, is there something planned for forum members then? Will there be a get together? That would be fun... Honestly, most of what I have learned has been from chatting with other moms at convention and, of course, here on these forums. I'm so grateful for the wisdom and encouragement I've received from others who have paved the way before me. :)

I've attended CHEA of CA's convention in Pasadena the past two years. The first was my favorite because Voddie Baucham was a key-note speaker.

This year CHEA is hosting a Pacific West Coast super conference in Santa Clara (N. Cal). Since we are moving up that way in a few weeks, that's the one I'll be going to.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a really large conference looks like.

Monica