Menu

If you make your own bread......

I make bread rolls. They are better to make sandwiches. Plus it is easy to adjust the size and they seem to last longer because I can say you only get one bread roll right now.

So I use the bread maker to do all the kneading and first rise. Then I take out the dough, portion into bread rolls let them rise again in a warm oven and then bake.

I make bread rolls. They are better to make sandwiches. Plus it is easy to adjust the size and they seem to last longer because I can say you only get one bread roll right now.

So I use the bread maker to do all the kneading and first rise. Then I take out the dough, portion into bread rolls let them rise again in a warm oven and then bake.

So the recipe is the same for rolls as for bread, you just break it into smaller portions?

The only solution to your family gobbling it up, is to make more than they can eat in one setting. I make 2 loaves if it's just a side to a meal but I make 4 loaves if I actually want enough to make sandwiches. As far as sandwich bread goes, the key is to make it the day before. it firms up after it sits a while and makes it easier to slice.

The only solution to your family gobbling it up, is to make more than they can eat in one setting. I make 2 loaves if it's just a side to a meal but I make 4 loaves if I actually want enough to make sandwiches. As far as sandwich bread goes, the key is to make it the day before. it firms up after it sits a while and makes it easier to slice.

When you let it sit, is it just out in the open air or contained in something?

:iagree: I picked up a couple used breadmachines at Goodwill for $3-7 each. I've got three running right now.

1nd loaf - for immediate consumption

2nd loaf - for lunch

3rd loaf - for tomorrow.

Personally I prefer to make sandwiches with the bread when it's had a chance to sit overnight in the fridge.

I make my own bread and it's great for sandwiches. I do find though, that the results often change with weather and I get much better, consistent results with my Bosch mixer than with my old Kitchen Aid. The loaves last at least 4-5 days. Usually one loaf is half gone by the end of day one. Oh, I store them in doubled, large bread bags. With that said, my recipe (after tweaking from other recipes):

1/2c warm water

1 T honey

2 T yeast

Mix and let these sit while you prepare the rest.

2 c. warm water

1/3 c. olive oil (can be adjusted)

1/3 c. honey (can be adjusted)

3 c. whole wheat flour

Mix together in mixer until smooth.

Add and mix:

2 t. sea salt

2 eggs (this softens the bread but you can certainly leave out - you can also experiment with adding gluten but I figure this is healthier and I still get good results)

Add yeast mixture and mix together.

Add approx. 4 c. whole wheat flour and machine knead approximately 8 minutes.

That's all there is to it with the Bosch. It should be slightly sticky to the touch after kneading. If you add so much flour that the dough doesn't stick to you at all, your loaves will be dryer and more crumbly.

I then take it out with oiled hands and pat down, cut in half, roll into loaves and place in buttered pans. When it rises, bake 350 degrees approx. 28 minutes.

Again, this is what works for me, with my mixer. I'm finished with two loaves in 90-120 minutes (start at breakfast and ready by lunch).

I make my own bread and it's great for sandwiches. I do find though, that the results often change with weather and I get much better, consistent results with my Bosch mixer than with my old Kitchen Aid. The loaves last at least 4-5 days. Usually one loaf is half gone by the end of day one. Oh, I store them in doubled, large bread bags. With that said, my recipe (after tweaking from other recipes):

1/2c warm water

1 T honey

2 T yeast

Mix and let these sit while you prepare the rest.

2 c. warm water

1/3 c. olive oil (can be adjusted)

1/3 c. honey (can be adjusted)

3 c. whole wheat flour

Mix together in mixer until smooth.

Add and mix:

2 t. sea salt

2 eggs (this softens the bread but you can certainly leave out - you can also experiment with adding gluten but I figure this is healthier and I still get good results)

Add yeast mixture and mix together.

Add approx. 4 c. whole wheat flour and machine knead approximately 8 minutes.

That's all there is to it with the Bosch. It should be slightly sticky to the touch after kneading. If you add so much flour that the dough doesn't stick to you at all, your loaves will be dryer and more crumbly.

I then take it out with oiled hands and pat down, cut in half, roll into loaves and place in buttered pans. When it rises, bake 350 degrees approx. 28 minutes.

Again, this is what works for me, with my mixer. I'm finished with two loaves in 90-120 minutes (start at breakfast and ready by lunch).

What size pan do you use? I have load pans from pampered chef - is that the right size?

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_wheat_bread

We use the above recipe for our sandwich bread and love it! I do use the "conditioners" suggested to make a softer whole wheat loaf. I'm not to the point of grinding my own flour but use whole wheat flour bought in bulk. And for the citric acid used, I crush a vitamin C pill and use a pinch. Good luck!

The bread I've been making lately has been great for sandwiche, and I can slice it super thin for DS4. It makes a big batch of dough that will keep in the fridge for a week or two, and can make any kind of loaf shape or rolls or pizza crust. The sourdough bread I used to make didn't hold up well for sandwiches unless it was toasted.

Here's the recipe for our daily sandwich bread:

4 cups whole wheat flour

4 cups flour

2 cups raw oatmeal

1 cup cracked wheat (optional)

4 cups water

6 T oil

1/4 cup sugar

2 T yeast

5 tsp salt

I mix it all together, let it rise until doubled, divide it into four loaves, then let it rise again (90 minutes) and bake at 375 for about 40-45 minutes. YUM!

It does not slice well straight out of the oven (like all breads), but the next day you can slice it pretty thinly. I put two loaves in the fridge, two in the freezer for later in the week.

I use this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple-Whole-Wheat-Bread/Detail.aspx

except I do mostly whole wheat flour and 1 cup or so white bread flour.

And if you don't mind an all-white loaf, this recipe is incredible:

http://ayearinbread.earthandhearth.com/2007/05/t-his-bread-which-i-call-farmhouse.html

and use sea salt, don't sub another type. You can get a big bottle of it at Costco for a few bucks and it gives the bread such an amazing flavor. I also love the shaping tutorial she has linked in that post. I followed it and got the most beautiful loaves I've ever made in my life. I hated to cut into them they were so pretty, LOL.

Here's the recipe for our daily sandwich bread:

4 cups whole wheat flour

4 cups flour

2 cups raw oatmeal

1 cup cracked wheat (optional)

4 cups water

6 T oil

1/4 cup sugar

2 T yeast

5 tsp salt

I mix it all together, let it rise until doubled, divide it into four loaves, then let it rise again (90 minutes) and bake at 375 for about 40-45 minutes. YUM!

It does not slice well straight out of the oven (like all breads), but the next day you can slice it pretty thinly. I put two loaves in the fridge, two in the freezer for later in the week.

I am going to try this one later today! Thanks.