Menu

a really big cyclone

Yikes! :eek: And with all of that water and flooding they've just had up there that's not going to bode well either. Water feeds these storms and as long as there is warm water for them to get strength from they can stay strong even over land. Does Queensland have any mountains? That will help shear the storm if they do. This is really bad. Let's hope it goes through an eye wall replacement before making landfall, that usually weakens them somewhat. People are going to have to evacuate or hunker down some place really strong for this one though.

Just off the phone to my mum( lives in far north QLD), & many are evacuating from town.She & her partner are staying at this point as they are still trying to secure all of their stock( they are on a large property).

Our country has taken such a battering these past few months- our town is still mopping up after our 2nd once-in-a-100-year flood- in 4 months!

Just off the phone to my mum( lives in far north QLD), & many are evacuating from town.She & her partner are staying at this point as they are still trying to secure all of their stock( they are on a large property).

Our country has taken such a battering these past few months- our town is still mopping up after our 2nd once-in-a-100-year flood- in 4 months!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You guys are really going through the wringer. I"m so sorry. :( My prayers will be with your mom and her partner as well as all of your countrymen in the path of this storm. If it stays this strength when it makes landfall it will be very dangerous. I hope she has somewhere safe to go if her roof is not up to snuff.

I am not aware of any.

It's more than media coverage here in Australia- this is a string of extreme weather. And this one coming into QLD look devastatingly huge. People who have lived through many bad cyclones and are "cyclone hardened", are scared.

The Cyclone Bianca that was due to hit Perth on Sunday however fizzled out to barely even any rain and just a bit of wind. You have no idea how many events were cancelled because of it- and it never really happened- an anti climax here- although inland there was quite a storm that did severe damage in some areas- including the town where we have 2 investment properties, which did suffer some damage- although not as much as many.

My cousins in Townsville are evacuating to Brisbane too. The rellies in Cairns are bunkering down with a neighbour who is used to cyclones, I've heard.

Rosie

Isn't Cairns forecast to take a direct hit from the storm? I don't know where your rellies are, or how close they will be to the coast, but if it were me and I were in the path to take a direct hit (eye passing over) of a Cat.4-5 storm, I'd evacuate. People just have no idea how powerful storms like these are. The hurricane/cyclone force winds will extend out for miles from the core with the strongest winds right in the eye wall and around it. If you have any influence over them, Rosie, and there is still time for them to evacuate I'd give them a call and strongly urge them to do so, especially if they are near the coast. I don't care how strong their neighbor's house is, unless it is shaped like a dome and is as strong as a bomb shelter, I wouldn't ride it out there.

This is the island of Captiva off of Florida's west coast that got hit by Hurricane Charley which was a category 4 at landfall. You can see exactly where the eye passed through. It cut the island in two.

Captivaafterhurricanecharley.jpg

This is a Miami neighborhood that was leveled by Hurricane Andrew which was a category 5 storm at landfall.

Hurricane_andrew_fema_2563.jpg

People think that it is only straight winds and gusts that they have to worry about, but typically in strong hurricanes there are also tornadoes within the eye wall that rip everything to shreds. It is the violent wind in all directions that will tear roofs off of houses and the pressure difference inside the house from outside where the pressure will be low because of the storm can blow out windows. Once those winds are inside the house, the roof can come right off if it's a typical pitched roof type of home. And depending upon how thick the eye wall is, and how quickly the storm is moving on it's course, you can be in those conditions for hours.

When hurricane Wilma hit us in 2005 it was a category 3. Where I live we were in the eye of that storm for hours and it was scary. That was only a cat. 3. There are very few structures that are truly made to withstand a category 5 storm.

I hope that your rellies will reconsider and go south to Brisbane. I'm praying for all who are in the path of this storm. :grouphug:

Isn't Cairns forecast to take a direct hit from the storm? I don't know where your rellies are, or how close they will be to the coast, but if it were me and I were in the path to take a direct hit (eye passing over) of a Cat.4-5 storm, I'd evacuate.

You're preaching to the choir, Ms Ibby. :( And no, I don't have a shred of influence over them. I'm fond of my uncle, but I often think he is a boofhead.

All I can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best, though I am going up to stay the night with my grandmother so she has someone to vent her nervous energies at. The poor old dear must be terrified, since that is her favourite daughter and grandson. :(

Rosie

You're preaching to the choir, Ms Ibby. :( And no, I don't have a shred of influence over them. I'm fond of my uncle, but I often think he is a boofhead.

All I can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best, though I am going up to stay the night with my grandmother so she has someone to vent her nervous energies at. The poor old dear must be terrified, since that is her favourite daughter and grandson. :(

Rosie

Well fortunately it looks like it will be considerably weaker by the time it makes landfall according to the latest forecasts. That is GOOD news. I was really surprised that they were forecasting it to make landfall as a cat 5 before. It's really not that common that a storm maintains that kind of intensity for long periods of time, but I've never followed Aussie cyclones before so I wasn't familiar with what types of cyclones you get and their strength.

If their house is strong and the windows are protected, they should be able to ride out a cat. 3 without too much difficulty. They probably won't be too comfortable, but it shouldn't be life threatening unless they are near the coast and are going to get the storm surge when it comes ashore. Hopefully they don't have any trees right up next to their house that can fall on the roof because trees will go down in those winds. But barring anything landing on the roof of the house, they should be okay. They'll probably lose some tiles or some sections of their roof, but that will probably be the extent of it.

Do you know if he has shutters for his windows? I hope so. Hopefully they'll know to go to a windowless room if they need to if things should get too dicey. I'm praying for them and for all your countrymen. Let's hope it continues to weaken before striking. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

It's not weakening at all, apparently. This is the largest cyclone they've ever had in the area. I feel quite sick. That part of Queensland is so special to many Australians, and most of us have friends or relatives who live there. :crying:

I've been following updates about the cyclone online, and I did a double-take when I read one headline : Don't Panic if Roof Lifts Off Yes. Well. I couldn't speak for anyone else but I certainly would panic in a big way if my roof ever lifted off. Although I do understand what they are trying to get across....:sad:

The news here is still saying it is a category 5. I have homeschooling friends up there and they are scared.

Yikes! I hope it weakens before it makes landfall. I've been through one category 5 hurricane in my life and it is still probably the scariest thing I've ever been through and I wasn't even in the worst part of it! :eek:

It's not weakening at all, apparently. This is the largest cyclone they've ever had in the area. I feel quite sick. That part of Queensland is so special to many Australians, and most of us have friends or relatives who live there. :crying:

I've been following updates about the cyclone online, and I did a double-take when I read one headline : Don't Panic if Roof Lifts Off Yes. Well. I couldn't speak for anyone else but I certainly would panic in a big way if my roof ever lifted off. Although I do understand what they are trying to get across....:sad:

It is scary. Even with strong building codes a home would be hard pressed to stand up against a cat. 5 storm. Hopefully the news is informing people what to do IF their roof does lift off. That information saved lives during our Cat 5 storm.

Rosie I'm praying for your uncle and his family and neighbors - also for

all who are in the path of this storm. :grouphug:

Me too.

My MIL and FIL live in a retirement village in Cairns. Some of those post Cat 4/5 cyclone pictures have go me feeling very nervous.

DH spoke to his parents this morning and FIL was calm but MIL was very frightened and worried. She's quite a worrier anyway and this will be a tough night for both of them. DH is at work trying to keep his mind off it. If communications are out we may not know for days how they got on.

I'm just going to try assume they are OK until we hear from them again.

The irony of course is that they retired to Queensland for the weather!!

Katrina

I spoke to my mum an hr or so ago.

They are without power at the moment,& have prepared themselves as best as they can( taping/ boarding windows,painting phone numbers on stock etc)

They are both quite terrified,& will be back in touch with us as soon as they can.

Only areas which will be affected by the storm surge have been evacuated.

The storm has been upgraded to cat 5 now- so thoughts & prayers ate with everyone in Far North Queensland.

My MIL and FIL live in a retirement village in Cairns. Some of those post Cat 4/5 cyclone pictures have go me feeling very nervous.

DH spoke to his parents this morning and FIL was calm but MIL was very frightened and worried. She's quite a worrier anyway and this will be a tough night for both of them. DH is at work trying to keep his mind off it. If communications are out we may not know for days how they got on.

I'm just going to try assume they are OK until we hear from them again.

The irony of course is that they retired to Queensland for the weather!!

Katrina

I'm so sorry if the pictures I put up upset you. I put those for Rosie so that hopefully she could pass them on to the relatives up there who were not to keen on leaving, with the hope to try to convince them to evacuate. I'm sorry if they have upset you. :grouphug:

They are without power at the moment,& have prepared themselves as best as they can( taping/ boarding windows,painting phone numbers on stock etc)

They are both quite terrified,& will be back in touch with us as soon as they can.

The storm has been upgraded to cat 5 now- so thoughts & prayers ate with everyone in Far North Queensland.

We are standing with you in prayer. :grouphug:I've been praying constantly for them and will continue all throughout this day. :grouphug:

Its happening now- and yes its still a Category 5 according to the news reports here. It has wiped out a research station on an island in its path, so far, apparently.

They're in for a rough night. Hopefully Yasi will blow through quickly and be done with it. Praying for a weakening storm and for protection for all your countrymen up there. :grouphug:

I saw this, it's the whole storm superimposed over various parts of the world to show the size of this sucker.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-fn7rxoal-1225998850720

Yikes! It is massive. The size of it reminds me of Hurricane Francis. She covered the entire state of Florida!

I hope this will be a comfort to some of you that have relatives up there that are worrying for them, but if you look at the satellite images you can see the varying degrees of the bands that are wrapping around and feeding the core of the storm. When the storms get very strong, they pull in towards the core and spin faster and faster much like how an ice skater can spin faster if she pulls her arms in versus having them extended. If you look at it like a bullseye, the eye of the storm will have the strongest winds, but it is also the smallest area of the storm. The bands immediately around the eye are strong but not as strong as they eye wall itself and as the bands go further and further out from the eye, they will be less and less intense.

With a storm this size, the hurricane force winds will extend out pretty far, but it will be varying degrees of strength and will be lesser and lesser "categories" in strength the farther out they extend from the core. If your relatives are in an area that is further out from the core, they might be able to ride it out without too much damage.

When I was reading the updates on Yasi, I read that the buildings were made stronger after a previous cyclone had hit and that they were strong enough to withstand a category 5. I hope that this will be the case and that many will be able to ride it out in safety even if the noise outside is frightening.

praying for your mom and dad. its just unimaginable....

one of our favourite camping spots is Ellis Beach, just north of Cairns.... i can't imagine there will be anything left.

: (

ann

It was pretty bad but not as bad as feared. Many roofs lost etc, but on the whole the main towns of Cairns and Townsville weren't too badly damaged- at first news, anyway. Of course, all the banana plantations and farms will be devastated. I have been watching the footage so far and its incredible- banana plantations just flattened.

There will be lots more flooding. Also, the tropical trees are just stripped of their leaves and that looks awful.

No news of any human injury or death at this stage. But many are still inside their homes- not safe to come out yet.

It was pretty bad but not as bad as feared. Many roofs lost etc, but on the whole the main towns of Cairns and Townsville weren't too badly damaged- at first news, anyway. Of course, all the banana plantations and farms will be devastated. I have been watching the footage so far and its incredible- banana plantations just flattened.

There will be lots more flooding. Also, the tropical trees are just stripped of their leaves and that looks awful.

No news of any human injury or death at this stage. But many are still inside their homes- not safe to come out yet.

Thank God. I watched the satellite feed as it was making landfall and I was amazed at how quickly it lost steam once it crossed land. I was so happy when I saw that it was downgraded to a 3 almost right away. Not good for the people who were right on the coast where the eye made landfall, but good for everyone else. Do all of your cyclones weaken that quickly? Man, I wish it was like that here in Florida, but our storm linger on and kick the crap out of us until they come out the other side. We even had one (Hurricane Wilma) that actually strengthened over us! :001_huh: It made landfall on the west coast as a cat 2 and by the time it hit me here on the east coast it was a cat 3. Gave us quite the shellacking I tell you. Where I live we got the stupid eye wall 3 TIMES because it came in at a diagonal! :glare:

Thank you for the update, Peela. After seeing the devastation of Hurricanes Katrina and Andrew here in the USA, I was fearful for Australian people in the line of the storm.

Me too! I was praying so hard for it to weaken and for no one to be harmed. Stuff can be replaced, people can't. I was watching that link that someone posted up here with the live news feed and I saw the Premiere of Queensland come on and she said that so far there were no reports of injuries or lives lost. I just let out the hugest sigh of relief. I am so glad that it turned out so much better than was expected. :)

Yes, I think it IS fairly normal for cyclones to lose power as soon as they hit the land- when I think about it that is the norm here. Since this one was so much bigger than anything we had had before, no one knew exactly what it would do.

The photos are beginning to pour in. If you were one of the people whose house was de-roofed or destroyed, crops decimated, or business damaged..i am sure you wouldn't say it wasn't so bad....but, it was better than feared overall.

Yes, I think it IS fairly normal for cyclones to lose power as soon as they hit the land- when I think about it that is the norm here. Since this one was so much bigger than anything we had had before, no one knew exactly what it would do.

I believe it. It was massive and devastatingly powerful.

The photos are beginning to pour in. If you were one of the people whose house was de-roofed or destroyed, crops decimated, or business damaged..i am sure you wouldn't say it wasn't so bad....but, it was better than feared overall.

Oh it was bad to be sure. No doubt about it. I've been looking at some of the pictures. And no doubt those who have lost homes, crops and businesses won't feel as if they've dodged a bullet, but all in all considering the size and strength of this monster cyclone, it seems that the worst of it was concentrated in a relatively narrow area which is truly incredible when you consider the size and strength of the storm. I was really worried in my heart for all of your countrymen up there in Queensland and even though it was a very bad storm, I think the potential was to be much worse so there was a sense of some relief to see that it wasn't what I feared it would be. I imagined damage the likes of which are being seen in Tully and Innisfail to be much more widespread along the coastline and much much father inland and I was just relieved that that wasn't the case. But my heart definitely goes out to those who have been impacted most by this storm.

But I'm guessing if it's your home and worldly possessions that have been destroyed it's hard to rejoice that your neighbor the town over is doing okay. :grouphug:

I just got home from a day at work and can finally let out a big sigh of relief. Buildings in Cairns held up very well last night and we were able to go to bed knowing that MIL and FIL were safe. They live just near the major shopping centre evacuation centre so we knew from the constant news feeds coming out of there that the buildings were holding up and that the worst of the winds were further south. MIL will be very traumatised - I just hope she can draw some strength from this and know that her home is safe.

As for the people who have lost their homes and livelihoods, this still must be a terrible day for them. The human spirit is amazing but I really don't know how I would cope having to start again.

Thanks for all the concern from around the world!

Katrina

I just got home from a day at work and can finally let out a big sigh of relief. Buildings in Cairns held up very well last night and we were able to go to bed knowing that MIL and FIL were safe. They live just near the major shopping centre evacuation centre so we knew from the constant news feeds coming out of there that the buildings were holding up and that the worst of the winds were further south. MIL will be very traumatised - I just hope she can draw some strength from this and know that her home is safe.

As for the people who have lost their homes and livelihoods, this still must be a terrible day for them. The human spirit is amazing but I really don't know how I would cope having to start again.

Thanks for all the concern from around the world!

Katrina

I remember so clearly in the days right after hurricane Andrew how dazed everyone was who had lost everything. They just seemed like they were wandering around not knowing what to do or where they were going. It was heart breaking. For those who are hardest hit, it is devastating, but like you say the human spirit is amazing. When you are down, the only place to go is up.

I am so so glad to hear about your inlaws. I was praying for them last night and all day today. Thank you so much for the update on how they fared. :) I hope your MIL feels better soon.:grouphug: It is very scary to go through a bad storm like that. The winds are just unlike anything you've ever heard before. It's very frightening.

Edited by Ibbygirl

Reading these posts just amaze me. This board is such a wonderful place to hang out. Susan Wise Bauer...thank you for allowing us to communicate all manner of life situation here on your WTM boards. I have been coming here for years, and, I tell you, there are faithful friends here. Strong, beautiful mothers. I thank God to be part of this amazing community.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Reading these posts just amaze me. This board is such a wonderful place to hang out. Susan Wise Bauer...thank you for allowing us to communicate all manner of life situation here on your WTM boards. I have been coming here for years, and, I tell you, there are faithful friends here. Strong, beautiful mothers. I thank God to be part of this amazing community.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

What a sweet heart you have. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I agree. These boards are amazing. I have learned so many things here that I probably couldn't have learned anywhere else.

This is what I've been thinking all day, too. In their place, and especially after Cyclone Larry tore the place apart 5 years ago, I don't know that I would have the strength to do it again. So glad your in-laws are ok. I can't imagine how traumatising that must have been.

Turns out I was doing my uncle a disservice. They didn't evacuate because my aunt was rostered on at work and was helping evacuate the hospital. By the time that was done, there wasn't enough time to go anywhere. They rang my grandmother this morning and were all safe and sound, with no damage to any of their belongings other than trees.

Rosie

Turns out I was doing my uncle a disservice. They didn't evacuate because my aunt was rostered on at work and was helping evacuate the hospital. By the time that was done, there wasn't enough time to go anywhere. They rang my grandmother this morning and were all safe and sound, with no damage to any of their belongings other than trees.

Rosie

Oh Rosie, I'm SO glad to hear it. :grouphug:

That's great, Rosie. And special hugs to your aunt for doing what she did. I think there are a lot of unsung heroes tonight.

:iagree::iagree: Amen!