Menu

Starting to plan 9th grade. Not sure...

what I am doing!:) My first time to post on highschool board. My dd13 will be a freshman next year(which really freaks me out!). She is our oldest and in my IRL circle of homeschool friends she is the oldest. So, I am needing some help to make sure I have everything covered.

Dd is a very fine arts kind of person. She is the type of kid that has to be moving to think. She is a ballet dance. Very rigorous curriculum does not work for her. I need curriculum that lays it all out for me.

Here is what we have planned so far:

Math-MUS Algebra 1(1 credit)

Lang. Arts-(1 credit)

Grammar-Daily Grams just to keep it all fresh

Writing-Either a local coop class or IEW with a local homeschool mom. I have no idea how to teach this.

Vocabulary-Wordly Wise

Science(1 credit)-Apologia Physical Science with local enrichment class. She is doing General Science this year with the same class and is doing really well.

History(1 credit)-History Odyssey Ancients level 3...might be to intense....Any other suggestions?

World Geography-Trail Guide to World Geography. She has not done much geography. Do I add this into the History credit?

Foreign lang.(2 credits)-Rosetta Stone Spanish and she is dying to learn Sign Language. If we put her in local coop they offer Sign Language.

Fine Arts(1 credit)-

Art-We do artist study/picture study and I try to come up with a project to go along with our current artist. Also, if we put her in the local coop she can take Art there and maybe digital photography. We also have a membership to Mark Kistler's website to work on drawing skills. She has almost finished most of his video lessons.

Music-Loosely based on BF History of Classical Music plus low key/when we have time, piano lessons from dad.

PE(1 credit)-dance 10-12 hours a week. We also go to local indoor pool 2 times a week.

Is there anything that I am missing. I want her to be challenged. I have gone a little to easy on her and need to step it up now that she is going to be in highschool.

Lang. Arts-(1 credit)

Writing-Either a local coop class or IEW with a local homeschool mom. I have no idea how to teach this.

Vocabulary-Wordly Wise

Science(1 credit)-Apologia Physical Science with local enrichment class. She is doing General Science this year with the same class and is doing really well.

History(1 credit)-History Odyssey Ancients level 3...might be to intense....Any other suggestions?

World Geography-Trail Guide to World Geography. She has not done much geography. Do I add this into the History credit?

Foreign lang.(2 credits)-Rosetta Stone Spanish and she is dying to learn Sign Language. If we put her in local coop they offer Sign Language.

Fine Arts(1 credit)-

Art-We do artist study/picture study and I try to come up with a project to go along with our current artist. Also, if we put her in the local coop she can take Art there and maybe digital photography. We also have a membership to Mark Kistler's website to work on drawing skills. She has almost finished most of his video lessons.

Music-Loosely based on BF History of Classical Music plus low key/when we have time, piano lessons from dad.

PE(1 credit)-dance 10-12 hours a week. We also go to local indoor pool 2 times a week.

Is there anything that I am missing. I want her to be challenged. I have gone a little to easy on her and need to step it up now that she is going to be in highschool.

I hope you're not missing anything; I have a similar schedule planned for ds next year. We're heavier in languages since ds loves Latin and Greek.

Saxon Algebra 1 (1 credit)

English (1 credit): Rod & Staff 7, Intermediate Logic, literature from HO

History (1 credit): History Odyssey Ancients level 3

Science (1 credit): Apologia Biology

Languages (1 credit each): Complete Lively Latin BB2 & Oxford Latin 1, Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek level 5, and probably Spanish for modern language

PE (1 credit): Goju Ryu Karate

Typing (1/2 credit)

Piano (1/2 credit)

I was thinking of a having her do Lightning Literature Early-Mid 19th Century but it wouldn't match up with her history and History Odyssey seems to have a lot of literature. I didn't know if doing a separate literature would be to much??

Since History Odyssey Ancients level 3 is based off the WTM plan for high school and includes writing and literature (as well as geography), I'm not planning on using a separate literature curriculum for ds or a separate geography program.

Are you sure you need to step it up? Parents who have been tuning into their children for years, suddenly, when faced with high school, start comparing them to everyone else and stop LISTENING to the child.

Yes, we need to plan with the end in mind, but often we are planning an end that isn't going to happen, and lose sight of today, and the precious gift it is.

Not to be morbid, but what if your daughter did not have a future after high school? How would you plan the next 4 years? Your daughter has to LIVE the next 4 years. They are not just a prep for the future. There needs to be balance between her current and future needs.

You might not want to step it up.

Dd is a very fine arts kind of person. She is the type of kid that has to be moving to think. She is a ballet dance. Very rigorous curriculum does not work for her. I need curriculum that lays it all out for me.

Lang. Arts-(1 credit)

Vocabulary-Wordly Wise

Fine Arts(1 credit)-

Both of my dc are creative types. Rigorous can happen over here, but it takes awhile..... Ds is graduated, dd is a junior. I think it is a good idea to not do harder math/science and let your dd do the ballet! Both of my dc like Apologia. But chemistry is quite the time hog this year... Other families with creative kids have skipped the chemistry and done Apologia's Biology/Marine Science/Anatomy sequence.

In your arts, you may have two, maybe three credits going: Ballet, Art, and Music. Dd is doing Mark Kistler Draw Squad this year, it has enough for one year of credit.

Geography - Trail Guide is kind of young..... we did it in 6th grade. And, are you sure you want to do geography AND history? Maybe pick one?? A Beka has a one semester geography course. We did BJU, which is a one year course.

Rosetta Stone - see if you can try a demo first to see if you like it. It is expensive, and the method they use to teach works better for younger kids. My dd didn't like it, ds used the older version and said it barely familiarized him with it, and he had to start over in college Spanish.

Hope this helps!

Both of my dc are creative types. Rigorous can happen over here, but it takes awhile..... Ds is graduated, dd is a junior. I think it is a good idea to not do harder math/science and let your dd do the ballet! Both of my dc like Apologia. But chemistry is quite the time hog this year... Other families with creative kids have skipped the chemistry and done Apologia's Biology/Marine Science/Anatomy sequence.

In your arts, you may have two, maybe three credits going: Ballet, Art, and Music. Dd is doing Mark Kistler Draw Squad this year, it has enough for one year of credit.

Geography - Trail Guide is kind of young..... we did it in 6th grade. And, are you sure you want to do geography AND history? Maybe pick one?? A Beka has a one semester geography course. We did BJU, which is a one year course.

Rosetta Stone - see if you can try a demo first to see if you like it. It is expensive, and the method they use to teach works better for younger kids. My dd didn't like it, ds used the older version and said it barely familiarized him with it, and he had to start over in college Spanish.

Hope this helps!

I see what you mean about the geography and history. I was thinking since it is kind of young she could get a little more geography terms and stuff and not be overly stressed by it. Plus, it said it has 3 different levels in one book, I was thinking I could also use it with my boys at the same time and kill two birds with one stone!:) But I think you may be right. It might be a little much.

We have Rosetta Stone already so that is why I was just going to use it...I haven't really looked into any other programs.

Thanks everyone for all the advice! Keep it coming!!:)

I'm planning for 9th and am nervous, too.

It looks like enough credits for really any high school program.

Here is dd's so far:

Bible, History, English/Lit: My Father's World Ancient History (1 credit in each subject)

Science: Dive Integrated Chemistry and Physics (1 credit)

Algebra 1 (unsure yet, but 1 credit)

Spanish 1: Breaking the Barrier and lessons on SpanishDict site (1 credit)

Logic: 1/2 credit using MFW plans

PE: 1/2 credit

Fine Art: looking but hope to find a program to get 1/4 credit each year doing about 1 hour a week.

What program are you using with the DIVE? I was told DIVE is just part of it, you need to have a curriculum to go with it. I'm looking into that now. DD did Biology this year, so I'm looking at this for next year (10th).

What program are you using with the DIVE? I was told DIVE is just part of it, you need to have a curriculum to go with it. I'm looking into that now. DD did Biology this year, so I'm looking at this for next year (10th).

I'm going to be using Integrated Chemistry and Physics, which is the physical science. Have you watched the video on the science page of his site? He ranks the sources in how good they actually are. The best is the internet sites he gives. Next best is BJU, then I think A Beka and Apologia last. I'm going to go with BJU's textbook, but some of the websites, too. He has schedules for BJU's latest version out (4th edition) and 3rd edition, but I'm going to buy the 3rd edition used. If you use it the course pretty much follows the book. With the newer edition it skips around a lot more. I emailed him and asked if 4th was better and he said no, 3rd edition is fine. I hope I can find quizzes or tests from the 3rd edition to add in. I'm not sure I want her only tests to be every 8 weeks or so.

Have you looked at the syllabi page of his site? You can find all the textbook syllabi there.

I hope this helps!

just giving this thread a bump. My dd is going into high school next year too. Would love to hear more folk's schedules. :)

We are unsure if we are going to call next year 8th or 9th, but I'm structuring it with credit and transcripts in mind. We'll make the final decision later in 2012. Here's what I have planned:

Latin Alive II

AoPS Number Theory & Counting and Probability (he's doing algebra this year)

LL LOTR

Megawords

Writing will be a mix of sources possibly Lively Art of Writing

Portions of Art of Poetry

History - using Churchill's History of English Speaking vol 2 (1400-1688) as a spine

Earth Science

Intro to Logic & Philosophy -using Discovery of Deduction, Sophie's World, and The Story of Philosophy

Japanese - possibly will let ds decide, otherwise will add another class of his choice

PE - will be hiking done over the summer

This is my 9th Grade tentative plan for DS next year:

MUS Algebra I

Easy Grammar Ultimate 9

IEW Ancient History Writing Lessons

History of the Ancient World

WTM Literature Recommendations

Apologia Biology

?? Foreign Language (HELP!)

PE/Health- ??

Maybe an intro to engineering class at high school?

I'm planning for 9th and am nervous, too.

It looks like enough credits for really any high school program.

Here is dd's so far:

Bible, History, English/Lit: My Father's World Ancient History (1 credit in each subject)

Algebra 1 (unsure yet, but 1 credit)

Spanish 1: Breaking the Barrier and lessons on SpanishDict site (1 credit)

Logic: 1/2 credit using MFW plans

PE: 1/2 credit

Fine Art: looking but hope to find a program to get 1/4 credit each year doing about 1 hour a week.

Oh, I forgot, I was going to mention this and forgot to... hopefully I haven't already mentioned this to you. SOmetimes I forget who I've told things! :001_huh:

Have you checked Harmoney Fine Arts? She has music/art history divided up by grade, you just get the packet for the grade you want. It goes along the the WTM style of doing certain things in certain years. DD did it in 7th grade and liked it! I may have her do it again next year, in 10th. That would be a 1/2 credit though.

ETA: Oops, forgot the link: http://harmonyfinearts.com/

I'm going to be using Integrated Chemistry and Physics, which is the physical science. Have you watched the video on the science page of his site? He ranks the sources in how good they actually are. The best is the internet sites he gives. Next best is BJU, then I think A Beka and Apologia last. I'm going to go with BJU's textbook, but some of the websites, too. He has schedules for BJU's latest version out (4th edition) and 3rd edition, but I'm going to buy the 3rd edition used. If you use it the course pretty much follows the book. With the newer edition it skips around a lot more. I emailed him and asked if 4th was better and he said no, 3rd edition is fine. I hope I can find quizzes or tests from the 3rd edition to add in. I'm not sure I want her only tests to be every 8 weeks or so.

Have you looked at the syllabi page of his site? You can find all the textbook syllabi there.

I hope this helps!

Yes, thank you! I will continue to search these things! :001_smile: Edited by Brindee

For those who are looking at schedules, dd's is pretty much listed in my siggy line but I'll type it out here. She's having a wonderful year!

Math: TT Algebra 1

Science: Biology 101 DVD's with virtual labs and lots of living books

History: MFW Ancient HIstory and Literature

Bible: MFW

English/Lit: MFW

Spanish 1: Visual Link

Piano/Voice/Guitar

PE

Speech (our own program)

Intro. to Computers (our own program)

Intro. to Logic: Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox

I am currently working on my ds's 9th grade schedule now. I am feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment. :tongue_smilie: Here is what I have as of today:

History: Omnibus III w/ BJU's US History & Spielvogel.

Bible: Omnibus III w/daily bible reading & scripture memorization.

Math: BJU Alg I w/DVDs

English: CLE for grammar/spelling, Omnibus III for literature, or I may possibly use BJU's Lit 9 w/DVDs (I own all the BJU DVDs). Writing Instruction will hopefully continue to be out-sourced with a writing tutor, with assignments from Format Writing, as well as assignments from Omnibus III. As of now, Vocabulary will be off-the-cuff words taken from literature books, etc., written out and defined.

Science: BJU Physical Science w/DVDs

Music: Piano Lessons (con't)

Foreign Language: Greek (currently using Elementary Greek, may have to move up to a hs text of some kind)

PE:Would like to get him in some type of karate

I would also like to add in some Logic studies, but may have to wait on that. I feel like our schedule is going to be too full. :confused:

I am sooo unsure. Here is one possibility for my son:

Bible/History/Lit - MFW AHL

Math - Finish TT Alg 1 and LOF Beg. Alg

Science - Science Shepherd Biology

Foreign Lang - either continue Latin or Spanish - probably Visual Link

Art - we are starting Meet the Masters - so maybe 1/4 - 1/2 credit here.

Electives - not sure - Logic from MFW and maybe a computer class.

Other possibilities:

Bible/History/Lit - Notgrass World History - supplemented with:

LA - CLE Lit/Grammar 9th

Math - Finish TT Alg 1 & LOF Beg. Alg

Science - If not SS, then BJU Biology with DIVE is probably 2nd choice

Foreign Lang - same

Art - same

Electives - same

Also, continue piano and guitar lessons.

It is pretty scary!! :willy_nilly:

Maureen

I'm still planning, but here it is so far:

History: SL Core 7 w/Spielvogel

LA: LLftLOTR + some extra reading from Core 7; do I need anything else?

Math: MUS finish Algebra, then Geometry

Science: Biology, I'm leaning toward Miller Levine

Spanish: Rosetta Stone Level 2

Health/PE: I'm thinking of Oak Meadow Health and PE here

Fine Arts: Band/Orchestra/Music Theory

Computer Programming: Up to DH, they've done Alice & Mindstorms so far.

7.5 Credits total.

Here's my VERY rough/just beginning/definitely not set in stone schedule for next year :001_smile:

History: TOG Year 1

Bible/Church History: TOG Year 1, Scripture memorization & personal study

Math: BJU Alg I w/DVDs or something else?

English: CW Herodotus w/ Elements of Style & vocab. taken from writing/ TOG Year 1 Literature

Science: Chemistry w/lab (a class for homeschoolers given at a local college)

Art: Maybe The History of Art? (Hewitt Homeschooling Resources)

Foreign Language: Latin for the New Millennium II

PE:Fencing

Anyone have thoughts?

Here's my VERY rough/just beginning/definitely not set in stone schedule for next year :001_smile:

History: TOG Year 1

Bible/Church History: TOG Year 1, Scripture memorization & personal study

Math: BJU Alg I w/DVDs or something else?

English: CW Herodotus w/ Elements of Style & vocab. taken from writing/ TOG Year 1 Literature

Science: Chemistry w/lab (a class for homeschoolers given at a local college)

Art: Maybe The History of Art? (Hewitt Homeschooling Resources)

Foreign Language: Latin for the New Millennium II

PE:Fencing

Anyone have thoughts?

Looks good to me! About art.......see my post above (#14) about Harmony Fine Arts. May not be what you want, but it's worth a look. :) Edited by Brindee