Menu

I had looked online at these two programs. Apologia seems more for a homeschooler. I have heard about CPO science through these boards. It seems like it is more for a classroom. I am looking to do Physical Science for my eighth grader next year. I would like to know what the pros/cons are of each program.

I wonder for CPO how do you get the materials for experiments. They seem so expensive.

Thank you to those who can help.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I'd love to know also. I called CPO, and they said not to use their books for homeschooling. They didn't want me to even try because they said it was not possible. I was very disappointed after seeing all the wonderful reviews, but I'd love to know how people do it since I've never seen the books.

We are using CPO Middle School Earth Science this year and I plan on using the Middle School Physical next. It is true that it is not very user friendly for the homeschooler. We had to scale down many of the investigations, but I am curious why they say "These are not possible for home schoolers." They must not realize most of us are professional curriculum tweakers. As a former engineer, I find that part of our learning experience is just making the investigations work for us.

I bought the books used, used the website for additional info, and have been making up my own tests.

When my oldest hits 9th grade, I will probably switch to something more like Apologia that is laid out for the homeschool. Since I have a 5th and 7th grader this year and 6th and 8th next, CPO seemed like a good way to combine them. I find the book to have a good amount of visual appeal without going overboard like some texts. Apologia just looks so black and white to me.

I've caught a few technical typos in the Earth Science book. Do think they would accept them from a mere home schooler?

I'd love to know also. I called CPO, and they said not to use their books for homeschooling. They didn't want me to even try because they said it was not possible. I was very disappointed after seeing all the wonderful reviews, but I'd love to know how people do it since I've never seen the books.

Well, that's just hilarious. Methinks they have no idea how homeschooling works! I've used their Life and now Earth science very successfully. I'm planning on CPO's Physics: A First Course next year.

Maybe they don't realize that one can adapt almost all their labs without using their equipment? Or that one can just substitute others when necessary? Or heck, that about 0% of school teachers actually use all the labs as written in a curriculum? Both my brother and best friend are high school science teachers, and they pretty much exclusively make up their own labs or collaborate with colleagues to come up with them.

I like the CPO books because they're well laid out and easy to teach from, and are written by scientists rather than textbook publisher committees.

When I called K12 asking about their Human ODyssey books, they told me the same load of crap. You can't possibly teach from our books, you must sign up for the class. :glare: OH I guess I can't read?

her brother-in-law is a distributor for CPO. He gave her a load of the Physical science books to use in her co-op. She said that since she has about 20 books, she would give me one to use. So, I have an opportunity to use the book for free. However, I was looking at Apologia first. I had seriously wanted to use that only because it seemed more homeschool friendly. I thought that for science it would be a better fit to go with a homeschool friendly, but when my friend said that I could use CPO for free. I wanted to ask the hive if they knew the difference between the two. My friend said that the only difference is that Apologia stays on weather too long.

So, how did some of you tweak it?

Blessings,

Karen

For experiments where I could'nt get equipment, such as the $120 marble launcher, we just used the data in the teacher's manual. The teacher's manual gives you sample data. We discussed the results just like we had done it and my boys had know problem understanding it. For others, which we haven't gotten to yet, I know someone said you can google other experiments to substitute. I figure, a school wouldn't get through the entire book and do every single experiment. IF I can do 80% of it, that's great!

I am tentatively planning on using CPO physical science with my 8th grader next year.

As I searched posts about this science, one suggestion was to use Reader's Digest How Science Works. Another one that looks promising is Reader's Digest How Things Work. I think you would just pick experiments from these books that follow the text that you are studying.

I spoke with a rep several months ago. I like the e-book that the high school physical science book has. For what its worth, he told me there is also an e-book planned for the 8th grade physical science. He told me it should be out in the spring. I think the e-book animations will add a lot for us.

Also, I remember one poster who has used CPO physical science said that she bought the atom maker (??? is this the right name...) just because that one piece of equipment was helpful for her and her dc. It would be very hard to justify buying everything they sell, but you might could splurge and buy one expensive thing....

Also, I'm not sure how much it would help, but just keep in the back of your mind Khan Academy and Hippocampus. These free on-line academic helps are wonderful. They could be used, I think, to supplement any science including CPO.

When I talked to the rep, he just said that the curriculum was more experiment driven and the books were only supplemental. He said the experiments could not be done without their kits which were too expensive for in home use. Since I have not seen the books, I wasn't sure how much of that was true. I wasn't even sure if I could do the experiments with other things. Sounds like he was wrong!

When I talked to the rep, he just said that the curriculum was more experiment driven and the books were only supplemental. He said the experiments could not be done without their kits which were too expensive for in home use. Since I have not seen the books, I wasn't sure how much of that was true. I wasn't even sure if I could do the experiments with other things. Sounds like he was wrong!

I have the Life Science that we were going to start this year but decided to hold off until next year. I have gone through all of the experiments and will be able to do all of them without their kits. Dh said he can even build a marble launcher very easily. I think these reps underestimate the resourcefulness of homeschoolers and it kind of makes me want to take pictures while we are doing all of the experiments next year and mail them to all the reps...along with a pic of me doing this:tongue_smilie:.

I think it was LuckyMama that had blogged about all of the experiments for one of the books (can't remember which one). You could do a search and it might help you with your decision.

When I called K12 asking about their Human ODyssey books, they told me the same load of crap. You can't possibly teach from our books, you must sign up for the class. :glare: OH I guess I can't read?

Haha, I'm using both, K12 Human Odyssey and CPO Earth Science, next year! Sure, it requires more thinking/planning on my part, but they're both fun, interesting programs. I can't wait to build a stream box.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been digging around through threads which discuss CPO science, and am glad to find a number of people happy with the program. Although our family strictly reject macroevolution, we also value accurate science textbooks. I was disturbed to find online mention of numerous, specific factual errors (errors not related to ones religious worldview) in science texts from all manner of publishers (both secular and religious). CPO Science seemed to pass the accuracy tests. If we disagree with worldview philosophies, we are well accustomed to correcting those as we go along. At least the "science" component bodes well, at this stage of my learning about the program.

Posters here (WTM boards) also seem comfortable with judicious, selective use of the CPO experiments. I like that realism of homeschooling! BJUP used to make me laugh by the exhausting lists of supplies needed -- for elementary grades activities!

Thanks to everyone in this thread, and other threads, for observations concerning CPO. I have just purchased a set of the middle school life science books from Follett, to use next year.

:bigear: CPO stand for???

Cambridge Physics Outlet. The first books they wrote (and still their entire high school level offerings) were all Physics, and were written by an MIT (Cambridge, MA) physicist. I think they shortened it to the acronym when they added the more varied middle school books.

Karen, I've just recently found Exploration Education. I really don't know how *good* it is, but I think EE and CPO might work well together. The TOC mostly line up. I don't know, however, if the EE experiments are similar to the CPO experiments. I bet they would be close enough since the TOC are so similar.

From what I can see in the sample, EE is a short computer (CD) lesson that provides and schedules hands-on experiments. The experiment supplies come as a kit WITH the curriculum.

Both the intermediate and advanced versions would work with CPO, I think.

I really don't know if this will work, but it looks promising. It would be great if someone here would comment on this idea.

I had looked online at these two programs. Apologia seems more for a homeschooler. I have heard about CPO science through these boards. It seems like it is more for a classroom. I am looking to do Physical Science for my eighth grader next year. I would like to know what the pros/cons are of each program.

I wonder for CPO how do you get the materials for experiments. They seem so expensive.

Thank you to those who can help.

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have both EE and CPO Physical Science. I could take a look and tell you what I think but not today.....perhaps tonight. WE'll be out most of the day.

I would love to know what you think about the two. When you get a chance, can you let me know.

Thank you sooo much!

Sincerely,

Karen

Yes, thank you! That would be great.:001_smile: Would you indicate what levels of EE and CPO you have? I'm trying to decide between CPO 8th and Foundations for 8th grade. (I'll probably go with the 8th grade. The 9th grade version is better organized with an E-Book that I like, but the 8th grade text is probably more appropriate.)

I have both EE and CPO Physical Science. I could take a look and tell you what I think but not today.....perhaps tonight. WE'll be out most of the day.
Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Ok, I took some time to skim through the student pages for Intermediate EE. I also skimmed through CPO Physical Science for Middle School. I bought CPO Physical Science but haven't used it yet....I got it for a good price so bought it ahead of time but then decided to do CPO Life Science this year instead....so keep that in mind that I haven't gone through CPO PS yet. My son is also just on the beginning part of EE Intermediate.

Is that enough qualifiers? :lol:

But my quick perusal says that WOW why didn't I think of combining EE Intermediate and CPO PS? :001_huh: Glancing through CPO Physical Science, this volume, more so than Life Science asks for specialized CPO devices to complete the experiments as written. I think you can find something in EE Intermediate to substitute for those. I think and I'll have to look at it more closely, I would have just purchased the CPO Physical Science and use it for further reading to go along w/ EE Intermediate. I think the Prentice Hall PS book would do just as well but some don't like it b/c of the more busy format. I wish I could find a physical science text along the lines of The Way We Work. Something a bit more narrative and engaging but CPO Physical Science will certainly get the job done.

I'm so bad at science. I really can't do just one science. We're doing Life Science but took a hiatus to do some chemistry which goes along w/ our life science. Next year is supposed to be Earth Science and the boys could use more knowledge in that area....but..... I'm really tempted to do some earth science, some physical science w/ EE/CPO and just spread both out over 2 years. Do them concurrently.

And I'm counting down the days until BFSUvol3 is published!

Off to see what EE Advanced has to offer.

Thank you, Capt Uhura! This is really great to hear. EE's and CPO's TOC pretty much line up. My next step is to try to see how closely the experiments match.

HomeScience Tools also has physics and chemistry experiments just in case there are holes in the EE/CPO combo.

I need to teach 8th, 6th, and 3rd grades next year. I know CPO and EE will be great for the older two, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the youngest one except to let him help put experiments together.

Ok, I took some time to skim through the student pages for Intermediate EE. I also skimmed through CPO Physical Science for Middle School. I bought CPO Physical Science but haven't used it yet....I got it for a good price so bought it ahead of time but then decided to do CPO Life Science this year instead....so keep that in mind that I haven't gone through CPO PS yet. My son is also just on the beginning part of EE Intermediate.

Is that enough qualifiers? :lol:

But my quick perusal says that WOW why didn't I think of combining EE Intermediate and CPO PS? :001_huh: Glancing through CPO Physical Science, this volume, more so than Life Science asks for specialized CPO devices to complete the experiments as written. I think you can find something in EE Intermediate to substitute for those. I think and I'll have to look at it more closely, I would have just purchased the CPO Physical Science and use it for further reading to go along w/ EE Intermediate. I think the Prentice Hall PS book would do just as well but some don't like it b/c of the more busy format. I wish I could find a physical science text along the lines of The Way We Work. Something a bit more narrative and engaging but CPO Physical Science will certainly get the job done.

I'm so bad at science. I really can't do just one science. We're doing Life Science but took a hiatus to do some chemistry which goes along w/ our life science. Next year is supposed to be Earth Science and the boys could use more knowledge in that area....but..... I'm really tempted to do some earth science, some physical science w/ EE/CPO and just spread both out over 2 years. Do them concurrently.

And I'm counting down the days until BFSUvol3 is published!

Off to see what EE Advanced has to offer.

It's been OK mainly b/c I'm shadowing Brownie so she's working out the kinks. Her feeling is that the directions aren't clear for several of the experiments. She gets info from a relative who has done it before. Some of it is kind of .... oh I don't know.....not at the level I would expect but I guess I see the point. For one lesson, you test pollutants on brine shrimp. Well, first of all, you can't really count the little buggers. Second of all, it doesn't tell you what pollutants to use nor how much. You just to have to guess and see what happens. We took a hiatus from Life Science to explore pH more in depth. One of the lessons, a really cool experiment from CPO LIfe science, involved a pH indicator. So the boys and I took a few weeks to do RS4K chem level 1 pH sections (acid-base titration, etc). Now we're poised to return to CPO Life Science. I find it extremely difficult to do only one science at a time. :tongue_smilie:

I looked ahead and most of the experiments for Life Science can be done at home. For the ones you can't, the teacher's guide gives you sample data so you can discuss the results and still learn from it.

What age are your kids? I showed my son the CPO Life Science and he said he could understand some of it (4th grader), but he said we could hold off for 2-3 more years. Just wondering if his assessment was correct.

My oldest is 5th grade (10.5yrs old). I think the Life Science is supposed to be the easiest of the CPO books or is it Earth Science? I forget. We're a science family so we've done a good bit of this over the years so it's hard for me to judge how it would be for another family. I do think if you're accessible and discussing it with him, he should be able to get through it just fine, especially if he thinks he can do it. Several of the experiments are really easy and straight forward...it's more so giving scientific terms. I'm using it to get my DS used to writing in science. For example, you choose a variable such as water, light, soil and grow plants and see what happens. It's about control variables etc but the experiment is not difficult.

CPO Earth is working fine for my fifth grader. She, however, loves science and is very motivated to read and experiment :D One of her requirements for being homeschooled was to have lots and lots of science! As someone mentioned upthread (thank you :) ) I've been posting in-home work-arounds for labs requiring unusual equipment on my poor neglected blog. We're past the Science Olympiad competition and our bird unit around the Great Backyard Bird Count, so it's back to CPO on Monday for us!

I've read all the CPO Life examples posted on their website plus all of the labs. I'll only have to modify a few of the labs for next year. CPO Physical labs will require much modification so I'm waiting to use that in her 7th grade year.

CPO Physical science - I've been reading through the Investigations book and writing down the titles for each lesson. Nearly all of the physics lessons require the CPO timer and photogates with car and ramp and stand. That's over $300!!! I'm wondering if we can make something similar using two NXT bricks and ultrasonic sensors. Tomorrow I will try to align Exploration Education intermediate with what I've written down for CPO Physical Science MIddle School.

CPO Physical science - I've been reading through the Investigations book and writing down the titles for each lesson. Nearly all of the physics lessons require the CPO timer and photogates with car and ramp and stand. That's over $300!!! I'm wondering if we can make something similar using two NXT bricks and ultrasonic sensors. Tomorrow I will try to align Exploration Education intermediate with what I've written down for CPO Physical Science MIddle School.

:thumbup: That would be great! DH wants us to cover Physical science for 8th grade and I'm not sure how to make it work without their extra eqmt. Looking forward to hearing your assessment of supplementing with EE.

Thanks!

Angela

I showed some of the investigations to my oldest who is a big NXT user and he thinks its possible. He actually owns 2 bricks and many sensors and can use one brick as a remote control for the other. He doesn't know it yet, but his summer project is going to be make it work.

Capt Uhra, thank you so much for your work on this. I've been trying to use the info in the TOC to match Foundations with EE. It doesn't match up exactly, but there are many of the same topics in both. It's hard to know how a combination of the two would work in real life..... seems like a science lesson like that might be a long one. The middle school version might be easier to match.

The guy from EE told me that the EE topics build on each other, so I have been assuming EE would be the spine. He did say, however, that it would be ok to move all of the chemistry topics as a whole to the end so that all physics topics coul be covered first.

What a great idea!!!!!!!! Will have to check with ds once he's home today re what kinds of sensors he has.

So glad we're doing Life next year so you can get Physical all figured out ;)

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to let others know that I have both Apologia Physical Science and CPO Physical Science for 8th grade in front of me.

I examined the two curricula and I will point out what I saw. First, Apologia spends half the book (8 out of 16 chapters) on earth's weather and atmosphere. It is physical science to some degree, but I would have classified this topic under earth science. However a lot of science programs put space and the planets with earth science and when I was in college it went under physics.

Second, by chapter nine, Dr. Wile goes on to discuss physics of motion, Newton's Laws of physics, forces, waves, and sound. I like that it gives you terms and very doable experiments. They are simple and affordable.

On the other hand with CPO Physical Science, it concentrates on physical science for about 2/3rds of the book. It then moves to chemistry by chapter 11-18. So 10 out of 18 chapters focus on physics. The last few chemistry. It give a lot of terminology and cool experiments. Unfortunately, the experiments are very expensive. I know this is a classroom book and based upon the experiment ideas, it certainly flows that way.

I will use both next year. I have decided to use Apologia as my main science because the experiments are affordable and CPO Physical Science will be his read along book. It is the costs of the experiments that is driving me to make this decision.

Blessings to all!

Sincerely,

Karen