Menu

Tropical Cyclone headed our way!

We have a tropical cyclone headed our way due to hit on Sunday. We are currently on alert, check it out.

We live near Bunbury so i think it will hit pretty close to us. Hopefully it will lose some steam before it hits. They don't normally go this far down the coast so none of our homes here are cyclone rated. We will have to put an evacuation plan in place incase we loose our roof or have a different major problem. Will also stock up on supplies and batteries tomorrow just incase.

We have a tropical cyclone headed our way due to hit on Sunday. We are currently on alert, check it out.

We live near Bunbury so i think it will hit pretty close to us. Hopefully it will lose some steam before it hits. They don't normally go this far down the coast so none of our homes here are cyclone rated. We will have to put an evacuation plan in place incase we loose our roof or have a different major problem. Will also stock up on supplies and batteries tomorrow just incase.

I will be thinking of you

hang onto your hats and all the best

I live in a hurricane prone area (have my whole life) and have been through many of them in my 39 years. I read the weather link you reported and based upon that, I wouldn't worry so much. Your cyclone looks to be what we would categorize it here in The States as a Category 1 hurricane. Usually with those types of storms it is mostly a rain event rather than a wind event.

I'm speaking of course only from my experiences with the hurricanes that we get here in Florida.

Usually the more powerful the storm, the more quickly they move through and the quicker they come, the more violent the wind damage (and tornado damage if it has tornadoes in the eye) will be. Typically with category 1-2 type storms, it is mostly a lot of rain associated with a slower moving storm and most of the danger comes from flooding and thing like electrical lines being down (if yours are above ground) and making contact with standing water.

The forecast is for this storm to weaken further before making landfall so unless you are in the path of the "eye" of the storm, it probably won't turn out to be much more than a very rainy day on the blustery side. You might get some occasional gusts that are strong enough to break off tree branches so definitely everyone should stay indoors until the storm is over so they don't get hurt with flying debris, but if your trees typically have deep roots, then they probably won't go down. If the roots are shallow, then it's possible they might.

As for preparation, it's good to have lots of clean water to drink on hand. I think the rule of thumb is a gallon of water, per day, per person in the home. Batteries for flashlights, foods that can be eaten if there is no electricity like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or food from cans or apples and things that don't go bad right away without refrigeration.

It's a good idea to fill up the bath tub so that if a water line should break and you lose water pressure you can flush toilets and take sponge baths.

If you have trees right up near your house or a lot of them in your yard, you'll want to trim them back and thin out the branches. The wind can pass through more easily that way and it is less likely to go down.

Umm what else.... stay inside even after the storm has passed until the officials give the "all clear" to go out. You'd be surprised but most of the deaths that happen with hurricanes happen AFTER the storm is over!

A little rum never hurts ;) and a deck of cards, some books and board games will go a long way to help with the boredom if your power goes out.

I hope that this helps to reassure you and that your family ride out the storm in safety. Again, unless you get the eye directly over you, this storm probably not be so bad for you. :)

Stay safe. :grouphug:

Edited by Ibbygirl

TC Wilma just passed us last night. More rain, heavy, heavy rain for us than wind. Dd was on a tall ship 3 hours south of us & she got more wind than rain. We were lucky as TC usually are no more than tropical storms by the time they reach NZ. In the rare times that true TC reach NZ it's not pretty. I believe that there has been flooding & slips, but I haven't heard of any big damage. Flooding we got last weekend as well due to king tides + a low over NZ.

TC Wilma just passed us last night. More rain, heavy, heavy rain for us than wind. Dd was on a tall ship 3 hours south of us & she got more wind than rain. We were lucky as TC usually are no more than tropical storms by the time they reach NZ. In the rare times that true TC reach NZ it's not pretty. I believe that there has been flooding & slips, but I haven't heard of any big damage. Flooding we got last weekend as well due to king tides + a low over NZ.

Well, at least it rains in NZ :)

Here in south east W.A. we always celebrate the rain. We barely get enough. I woke to gentle rain this morning and it was beautiful. Its not so normal to get much rain in summer here.

However, I am wary of what we wish for now, considering what happened on the east coast. :) TC rarely reach here either. Its kind of exciting ( I love the weather).

Well, at least it rains in NZ :)

Here in south east W.A. we always celebrate the rain. We barely get enough. I woke to gentle rain this morning and it was beautiful. Its not so normal to get much rain in summer here.

However, I am wary of what we wish for now, considering what happened on the east coast. :) TC rarely reach here either. Its kind of exciting ( I love the weather).

We were heading into our 2nd summer of drought, too. Now the brown fields are under water. The old saying "Be careful what you wish for" is so-o-o true. The outside storm resembled my internal storm regarding ds#2 starting PS highschool on tuesday. We did need the rain & ds#2 does want to go to highschool, but...