Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week four

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late updating, but I read "Agnes Grey" in honor of Anne Bronte's brithday last week. Meh, short book, but tedious read, IMO.

This week i'm reading Decision Points, G.W. Bush.

Congratulations on reading Agnes Grey!

I just finished "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall." It was good, although the 1800's language a bit hard to read. Very formal. More so than Anna Karenina. But it held my attention and was well worth the read. 2 classics down, 10 to go.

Hey, I'm going to jump into your conversation & suggest a fun fictional book that both of you might enjoy reading: Parrot & Olivier in America by Peter Carey. I really enjoyed it.

"
: In this vivid and visceral work of historical fiction, two-time Booker Prize winner Peter Carey imagines the experiences of Alexis de Tocqueville, the great French political philosopher and author of
. Carey brings de Tocqueville to life through the fictionalized character of Olivier de Garmont, a coddled and conceited French aristocrat. Olivier can only begin to grasp how the other half lives when forced to travel to the New World with John "Parrot" Larrit, a jaded survivor of lifelong hardship who can’t stand his young master who he is expected to spy on for the overprotective Maman Garmont back in Paris. Parrot and Olivier are a mid-nineteenth-century Oscar and Felix who represent the highest and lowest social registers of the Old World, yet find themselves unexpectedly pushed together in the New World. This odd couple’s stark differences in class and background, outlook and attitude—which are explored in alternating chapters narrated by each—are an ingenious conceit for presenting to contemporary readers the unique social experiment that was democracy in the early years of America."

I put it on hold with a suspension until April, since I have other holds from this and need to read some nonfiction. By then I will have probably forgotten why it was I was interested in it :).

I just finished reading debut novel An Eye for Murder by Libby Fischer Hellman which had me questioning the plausibility of something. From a writing standpoint, she obeyed all the rules making sure to focus on all five senses, but I think she went overboard. Every chapter and scene started with smelling something, weather, hearing something, etc. It got distracting. The plausibility part - well you tell me.

Her character gets slammed in the nose by a door. It's bleeding. She gets a sock shoved in her mouth and gagged, a hood put over her head. Now... is she going to be able to breath? Number two - she's dragged outside and notes the smell of garlic. Then when the car arrives at its destination and she's pulled out, the smell of fresh cut grass. Really?

What do you think? Plausible or not?

This week I tried three books and abandonned them within the first chapter. Too whiny. I should have known from the pink or aqua covers. Sigh. I was looking for something light and femanine for a short vacation. Oh well. I fell back on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

In Progress:

Where the Indus is Young

Drawing A Likeness (Graves)

Inner Fish

Nan in Mass Running List:

Light Thickens (Ngaio Marsh) - Macbeth theme, which is fun.

Tied up in Tinsel (Ngaio Marsh)

Final Curtain (Ngaio Marsh)

The New Global Student - again, just as annoying as ever but comforting while the youngest is in Japan

Grave Mistake (Ngaio Marsh)

Bloomability - young adult, nice

Sense and Sensibility - for the umpteenth time

A Rulebook for Arguments - this is a great book - it answered my questions about writing a persuasive paper

-Nan

I finished Austen's "Persuasion" today. It is the next book we are reading for our Jane Austen Literature Study. I finished it a week ahead of schedule :hurray: "Mansfield Park" had me up till 1 a.m. the day of the meeting. :glare: I really enjoyed "Persuasion." The characters, the story, all much better than "Mansfield Park."

I'm not sure what I will choose to read next. Maybe something light and fluffy :D

5. "Persuasion" Jane Austen

4. "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" Stephenie Meyer

3. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" C.S. Lewis

2. "Mansfield Park" Jane Austen

1. "Enchantment" Orson Scott Card

Not.

When you mention every scene talked about the weather - that's one of the (many) things I hated about Twilight. I know there was a point in all that rain, but I was so sick of descriptions of precipitation...

For this week, I was immersed in Anna Karenina, which I found very enjoyable; love those descriptions; reminds me of Jane Austen, when I abruptly started to read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. So much to talk about in that book! I haven't finished it yet, but plenty in there I find appalling and lots of things I philosophically agree with as well. I may even have to dust the cobwebs off my blog to review it!

I just finished reading debut novel An Eye for Murder by Libby Fischer Hellman which had me questioning the plausibility of something. From a writing standpoint, she obeyed all the rules making sure to focus on all five senses, but I think she went overboard. Every chapter and scene started with smelling something, weather, hearing something, etc. It got distracting. The plausibility part - well you tell me.

Her character gets slammed in the nose by a door. It's bleeding. She gets a sock shoved in her mouth and gagged, a hood put over her head. Now... is she going to be able to breath? Number two - she's dragged outside and notes the smell of garlic. Then when the car arrives at its destination and she's pulled out, the smell of fresh cut grass. Really?

Not. Stuff like that drives me crazy.

Finished, at long last, Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France. My goodness, he really, really hated Rousseau.

I am bowing out of writing a general review; first, because my English/French history is insufficient to doing so, and second, because it was summarized quite adequately by a French reviewer at Amazon.

Some excerpts that go toward an understanding of "Burkean conservatism" (which is, in fact, a kind of Whig progressivism that supported the American Revolution in its acts and ideals, but was horrified by those of the French Revolution):

"You see, Sir, that in this enlightened age I am bold enough to confess, that we [the English] are generally men of untaught feelings; that instead of casting away all our old prejudices, we cherish them to a very considerable degree, and, to take more shame to ourselves, we cherish them because they are prejudices; and the longer they have lasted, and the more generally they have prevailed, the more we cherish them. We are afraid to put men to live and trade each on his own private stock of reason; because we suspect that this stock in each man is small, and that the individuals would be better to avail themselves of the general bank and capital of nations, and of ages." (p 87)

"But one of the first and most leading principles on which the commonwealth and the laws are consecrated, is lest the temporary possessors and life-renters in it, unmindful of what they have received from their ancestors, or of what is due to their posterity, should act as if they were the entire masters; that they should not think it amongst their rights to cut off the entail, or commit waste on the inheritance, by destroying at their pleasure the whole original fabric of their society; hazarding to leave to those who come after them, a ruin instead of an habitation--and teaching these successors as little to respect their contrivances, as they had themselves respected the institutions of their forefathers." (p 95)

Vocabulary I had to look up: gabelle

5. Graham Greene, A Burnt-Out Case

4. Aeschylus, The Oresteia (Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers, The Eumenides); Robert Fagles, Tr.

3. Camara Laye, The Radiance of the King

2. St. Augustine, Sermons for Christmas and Epiphany

1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

0. Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars*

Edited by Sharon in Austin

Bleh. :tongue_smilie: I don't know if I'm crotchety in my old(er) age ;) or just picky, but I have decided to ditch yet another book. I was over 200 pages into The Perfect Man, but decided it was becoming too much for me. It's extremly Southern Gothic (so if you're really into that genre, you may really like this book), but I got disenchanted by the fact that every single person in this book has so many problems, is so screwed up, is so completely dysfunctional, etc.... (Yes, I know those characteristics are typical of Southern Gothic, but I just wasn't feeling the love for this book. :lol:)

I need to find some fabulous books to read. I feel like I've started quite a few lately that just didn't pan out for me. Any recommendations of things I might love reading?

I'm still reading & enjoying The Abyssinian. It reminds me of The Three Musketeers a bit, as far as writing/storytelling style...

Edited by Stacia

I just finished The Handmaiden's Tale. Very interesting, disturbing story of a futuristic society where women have no rights in a patriarchal government.

I'm reading The Help now and love it. The type of book that is enjoyable from page one. The characters are so real and entertaining. Don't know why I put off reading this one for so long.

Happy reading,

Lisa

I am working on the HPotter series. Have finished books 4 and 5 this week.

I absolutely LOVE the HP series. :D

I don't know if I'm crotchety in my old(er) age

:lol: :grouphug:

I just finished The Handmaiden's Tale. Very interesting, disturbing story of a futuristic society where women have no rights in a patriarchal government.

Lisa, I only saw the movie version years ago and loved it. Disturbing yes, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Plus, I really liked the cast.

I'm reading The Help now and love it. The type of book that is enjoyable from page one. The characters are so real and entertaining.

:iagree: :iagree:

One of my all-time favorites.

I finished re-reading and absolutely loving

geography_bliss.jpg

Still reading and enjoying

6a00e54ed05fc2883301156f18b0aa970c-800wi

I just get so tired at night, that I don't get very far. Plus, I've been spending far too much time here and other places online. Loving it, mind you. :D

I'll have to put The Forgotten Garden on hold for a little while, since I have some important hcg diet info reading to do. The next phase of the diet is coming up and I need to plan ...

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Not plausible.

Vocabulary I had to look up: gabelle

So, what does it mean, or do I have to look it up myself:001_smile:?

I'm reading The Help now and love it. The type of book that is enjoyable from page one. The characters are so real and entertaining. Don't know why I put off reading this one for so long.

Happy reading,

Lisa

I agree with you on both these books, although I did like The Handmaiden's Tale except for the unsatisfactory ending (I don't care if it fits the book or not.) I liked that better than any of the other Margaret Atwood books I've read (usually because it was assigned; one of the cost of being a Canadian. I really don't think she's as good as they say.)

Lisa

This is one of the only books in the past few years that I just. couldn't. finish. :ack2: The weak storyline wasn't enough to get me past the crudeness and the language. I loathed it. Since there are very few books that I loathe (and even fewer that I don't finish), it always surprises me to see this book get praised. To each their own I guess. :D

Just wanted to say that I finished another book today. "Adam and His Kin" by Ruth Beechick. I'd been slowly reading it since the beginning of January. I am upset that this little gem has been on my shelf for over three years and I hadn't ever picked it up. I really enjoyed reading what might have been happening in the world and what the primary patriarchs might have been feeling. Fascinating. It gave me some new insights as I was also reading through Genesis concurrently. I have to say that I love stories like this. Angela Elwell Hunt's books on Joseph left me with same feelings. Things that I never even considered as I read the Biblical accounts. Great book!

6. "Adam and His Kin" by Ruth Beechick

5. "Persuasion" by Jane Austen

4. "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" by Stephenie Meyer

3. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis

2. "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen

1. "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card

Books of the Bible Finished:

2. Genesis

1. Haggai

We are a little behind this week on how many chapters we'd intended to read a day (dd10 and I are reading "The Gawgon and The Boy" by Lloyd Alexander this week; we're doing this challenge together). We're on Page 117 (of 199) and need to finish by tomorrow and start another book tomorrow, so hopefully we'll both feel up to a good amount of reading at some point today :D

I also finished a Young Adult book I was reading on my own after imp mentioned it- it was called "Mary, Bloody Mary" by Carolyn Meyer, and I started the next book in that series, which is called "Beware, Princess Elizabeth." I tend to like "young adult" books- and historical fiction- so I'm enjoying these.

And my daughter is working through a Nancy Drew Files book and "Streams To The River, River To The Sea, A Novel of Sacagawea" on her own this week, as well.

If the character is epileptic, I'll go with plausible. Not probable, but plausible. My hubby and god-sister are both epileptic and have an enhanced sense of smell. From what I've read, that is common. If they were concentrating on gathering information, and the sack on their head was clean, they might be able to detect those things. Well, the freshly cut grass, anyway. I don't know how you'd smell garlic unless you'd been dragged through an outdoor garlic festival.

Rosie

It means a tax on salt; or, by extension, any over-reaching and unpopular tax.

Thanks.

If the character is epileptic, I'll go with plausible. Not probable, but plausible. My hubby and god-sister are both epileptic and have an enhanced sense of smell. From what I've read, that is common. If they were concentrating on gathering information, and the sack on their head was clean, they might be able to detect those things. Well, the freshly cut grass, anyway. I don't know how you'd smell garlic unless you'd been dragged through an outdoor garlic festival.

Rosie

Even with a bleeding nose? Just curious. I do believe that there are people that can smell that wel without a bleeding nose. One of my adopted db's is not epileptic, but has an amazing sense of smell, and I'm sure he could.

This is one of the only books in the past few years that I just. couldn't. finish. :ack2: The weak storyline wasn't enough to get me past the crudeness and the language. I loathed it. Since there are very few books that I loathe (and even fewer that I don't finish), it always surprises me to see this book get praised. To each their own I guess. :D

I still have mixed opinions on this book, definitely not high on my list. But I found it compelling, nonetheless. Although I have to admit that as I was further into the book the desire to see how it ended kept me reading more than the writing itself. Not very satisfying in the end.

lisa

Even with a bleeding nose? Just curious. I do believe that there are people that can smell that wel without a bleeding nose. One of my adopted db's is not epileptic, but has an amazing sense of smell, and I'm sure he could.

Maybe the character is pregnant and doesn't know it yet :lol:

(though even then, I agree the bloody nose would make it kinda hard)

Oops. I forgot the bleeding nose bit. Yeah, maybe the character is a pregnant, epileptic who's nosebleeds dry up fast.

:lol:

Rosie

Oops. I forgot the bleeding nose bit. Yeah, maybe the character is a pregnant, epileptic who's nosebleeds dry up fast.

:lol:

Rosie

Lol! You guys are too much. Nope, she's not epileptic or pregnant.

But she could be like my db (the eldest of my 3 db's in case people that know me from way back get confused as to which one this is) and, as Rosie said, the nosebleed could have dried up quickly. Very quickly, IMO, and it must have been a very minor one.