Menu

What to start with for writing when we've never used anything?

We've never used a formal writing curriculum. I've been using Simply Grammar a bit, but that is going over like a lead balloon. What sould I start with? Everything suggested in WTM assumes there has been previous work done with the subject.

Now, I did try Classical Writing, but it was too much work for me to do on top of everything else. Writing and Grammar are weak subjects for me, so I need some of a plug and play program.

Thanks!

My older 2 have done well with Writing Strands. I did Classical Writing with my oldest a bit a few years ago, and last year they did a little of Imitations in Writing. But Writing Strands is the first program we've stuck with. Books 3 & up are written directly to the student, so they are definitely plug and play.

We use writing with ease and love it. It's so simple, takes little time each day and is laid out for you with the textbook. We'll be using the level 2 of the series next year and I'm 100% looking forward to it. It's been a very gentle introduction into writing.

:iagree: I am new to homeschooling but, WWE makes it easy enough for me to teach my 2 sons. English is my 2nd language so I really needed a curriculum that is easy for me to understand and teach.

I use WWE 2 for ds 8 and WWE 3 for ds 11. They have done some writing while at public school but, I found out they still didn't know how to write well.

My fifth grader has done quite a few written narrations. These have been good for her as she is developing her voice. We're also using MCT's Paragraph Town & have just begun Killgallon's Sentence Composing for Elementary School as well. I like Killgallon b/c it gives her models to follow in a step by step way. It plants lots of ideas for ways to structure sentences.

Paragraph Town has been good b/c it explicitly teaches how to form paragraphs & then how to order a set of paragraphs. It also teaches more formal writing. This is good for dd b/c she likes to write what she considers to be comedy. ;) It's very difficult to get her to write what she calls BORING school-y stuff.

I have used Writing Strands for years. If you've never used anything before, it really IS an excellent program.

Simply Grammar isn't writing, though, Two different things.

I tried Classical Writing, too, but it was horrible for me as a teacher and disjointed for the kids.

If your kids like nuts and bolts grammar I think Rod and Staff is incomparable.

If they need something a little more whole to parts, by what I've read on other threads, MCT might be what you're looking for.

Paragraph Town has been good b/c it explicitly teaches how to form paragraphs & then how to order a set of paragraphs. It also teaches more formal writing. This is good for dd b/c she likes to write what she considers to be comedy. ;) It's very difficult to get her to write what she calls BORING school-y stuff.

Love Paragraph Town, too. The MCT products are engaging. We also use IEW. It's been good for my reluctant writers. They also have tons of products that tie into our other subjects. We use their history writing and have used their BF Geography writing.

WWE - we used this when my kids were younger. It is great for the younger years. Very plug and play.

The Paragraph Book series from EPS. It's designed for remedial use in middle-school but IMHO deserves a wider audience. It teaches the student how to write first a paragraph, and then expand that into an essay step-by-step-by-step.

Don't bother with the TM's, they are designed for classroom use and not really worth the money in a homeschool setting IMHO.

Another vote for Killgallon's Sentence Composing and MCT's Island Level. They both cover grammar and writing, and MCT also has vocab and poetry components. No previous knowledge of grammar is assumed, and they're engaging enough that you won't get the "lead balloon" response.

Jackie

Another vote for The Paragraph Book here. I bought the series, started with Book 1. Very easy for the teacher!!!!! EPS has some wonderful choices in a variety of subject areas, even for kids who are not remedial. I agree this particular series could easily be for a wider audience.

We use WriteShop - so far it has been working well for us. We have done writing - but just me teaching them from my own knowledge. They assume a good background in five-sentence paragraph writing.

Also good for beginners,

How to Write a Five Sentence Paragraph

How to Write A Five Paragraph Essay

How to Write a Great Research Paper

We've tried several different writing programs with no luck. They just didn't resignate with me or my son. However, this year we tried, Jump In! and it's been pretty successful. He is actually getting his writing assignments done and learning a great deal about different types of writing styles. I've been pleased. I think it's a great place to start.