Menu

Surprise movies

We just discovered Newsies this year through a TOG recommendation. My kids love it!

Three old movie that we resurrected and my kids love:

Some Like it Hot with Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon

What's Up Doc with Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neil

North Avenue Irregulars - a riot if you've ever been part of a small church.

Many years ago I stumbled upon Emerald Forest. I liked the movie, but bits have stayed with me since then. In a nutshell, an American father takes his young son into the rainforest where he is abducted by a native. The movie tells the story of how the father and son are eventually reunited.

One of the lines that stuck with me is when, after the child was grown and reunited with his father, the father asked the native chief why he took his son. The chief responded, "He looked at me and he was so cute, and then he smiled. And I just couldn't leave him out there in that awful world of yours."

Edited by hillfarm

Frequency with Dennis Quaid and Jim Cavezial (sp?). I don't know if it classifies as a sleeper but it didn't seem to get much attention when it was out. There is some profanity, which it could have done without, but other than that it was a good movie. Not great, but pretty good.

It's also a great father-son movie.

Waitress, with Kerri Russell (and Andy Griffith is a WONDERFUL character as well).

I know some others on this board have put it at the top of their "I hate this movie" lists, but I adore this movie. I love how it was written, how it was acted, the themes, the dialogue, the setting, the characters, the music...everything.

Many people get hung up on the adultery, but that's so not the point, in my opinion. This movie is about the power of loving yourself, and of not living for yourself, and living life to the fullest in general, regardless of what that means to you.

I never tire of it.

Frequency with Dennis Quaid and Jim Cavezial (sp?). I don't know if it classifies as a sleeper but it didn't seem to get much attention when it was out. There is some profanity, which it could have done without, but other than that it was a good movie. Not great, but pretty good.

It's also a great father-son movie.

That movies mirrors some events in my dh's life and my life. I cry through it everytime.

We love Newsies. I don't know if it's a sleeper, but October Sky is a fave here.

I watched Newsies a few weeks ago. Loved it, a singing Christian Bale :svengo: October Sky is a favorite too.

I watched The Disappeared a few weeks ago. A good story for a low budget movie.