Menu

It has happened...

nmoira

At nine, DD the Elder's physical writing ability and stamina have caught up to her level of output. We're down to about 10 minutes oral work per day, and she is writing the rest, even languages. Phew.

I was not aware of previous threads about this, but always happy when a child raises the bar. Happy for you and her! :001_smile:
There haven't been any. Her writing ability has always been at least age appropriate, just not up to her level of work.

At nine, DD the Elder's physical writing ability and stamina have caught up to her level of output. We're down to about 10 minutes oral work per day, and she is writing the rest, even languages. Phew.

You know when they say that kids "even out" at 3rd grade? My observation of a fairly large number of kids is that they "even out" with themselves right about that age. Stamina catches up, fluency catches up, and the parents stop having to say "well s/he's kind of all over the place, grade-wise". (It just doesn't happen to be third grade! LOL)

That's great. My son is getting there (he will be 9 this Friday). I was sweating bullets, but things are finally moving in the right direction.
I hasn't anticipated just how big a difference it would make. Yes, I'm spending less time working directly with her, but the time I do spend is now super-efficient. I can scan ahead and note patterns of errors, and discuss these generally instead of after every question. Because of this, the nature of our interaction has changed; it is easier to have higher level discussions when not bogged down with minutiae.

You know when they say that kids "even out" at 3rd grade? My observation of a fairly large number of kids is that they "even out" with themselves right about that age. Stamina catches up, fluency catches up, and the parents stop having to say "well s/he's kind of all over the place, grade-wise". (It just doesn't happen to be third grade! LOL)
:D

This.

Hooray! I've noticed a similar change over the past 6-9 months with my 4th grader. Typing is a great thing for him too. He will go all day on the typewriter.

Not my ds :), but I think that they do frequently catch up with themselves around 8/9. he did catch up in reading (from behind to well ahead) but that was visual. Of course, ds was behind in fine motor skills for years and is just catching up now.

Sigh - this appears to happen to my children when they are about 16 or 17. I know comparisons are odious, but this is a pretty big discrepancy between what the world expects and what my children can pull off.

Well, I know some people who waited until their 30's, if it makes you feel better!!

Congrats, Moira!

My ds turned 9 and I think I'm seeing some improvement in this area too. I also got him a Spiral Draw kit (like Spirograph!) and he's been spending a lot of time swirling those things around with the pen; I'm hoping that'll be strengthening some of those muscles.