Menu

Anyone taking Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia??

I have been in horrible pain for years. My doctor prescribed Cymbalta to me...and said it would help with my pain, insomnia and the diabetic neuropathy. I am a little nervous about taking it...yet excited that I may atually get some relief. Can anyone tell me their experience with this?

Thanks,

Faithe

Funny you should ask this -- my sister and I were talking about it last week as I mentioned that I was taking it for depression. She said that she is taking it for pain -- not fibromyalgia, though. She underwent a bi-lateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery five years ago. The pain has been horrible. She said that the Cymbalta has given her excellent relief.

HTH

Funny you should ask this -- my sister and I were talking about it last week as I mentioned that I was taking it for depression. She said that she is taking it for pain -- not fibromyalgia, though. She underwent a bi-lateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery five years ago. The pain has been horrible. She said that the Cymbalta has given her excellent relief.

HTH

You know, I am almost excited....LOL. Anyone dealing with the perpetual cr@p that has happened here over the past few years would be depressed...but somehow, I am not. I do have some bad anxiety especially hormonally (PMS) about a week before "truth" week. LOL. Dr. said it would help me with that AND my crazy insomnia...so i am almost giddy.

My dd takes cymbalta for fibro...which is where I got the idea to ask my dr. for it. She says she feels like a new woman...can sleep...and her pain has subsided greatly. i am hoping for similar results. The fibro even hurts my teeth!

Anyway, if it is as big of a miracle drug as they make it sound...i am so in!

Faithe (who wants to know how your Mom is doing and wants you to know you are often in my heart and prayers.)

Faithe (who wants to know how your Mom is doing and wants you to know you are often in my heart and prayers.)

Here are two answers below that I cut and pasted to another thread of mine earlier - the thread was about my dd and segued into stuff about my mom. I so appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

About the Cymbalta: I began taking it almost two weeks ago -- I do feel a marked improvement (I am taking it for depression). I go back in two weeks and I think we may increase the dosage --right now, I am pleased with it -- very pleased with it. Another benefit of it that I had not realized it helped (but it does) - and sorry if this is TMI, I would be going to the bathroom to urinate like 40 times an hour - not interstitial cystitis, but definitely frequent urge to go. It has stopped that. I feel so much better about that. My sister did say that she was very pleased with it. She used to describe her pain as 'wearing the bra of death' -- she said it was like an iron bra with spikes inside. There was so much work done and movement of her muscles when she had her mastectomy. She says the cymbalta has helped tremendously. Her daughter who is 19 takes it for depression and has had excellent results.

When I spoke with my mom this morning, she was telling me how ready she is to leave rehab (ready as in: I can already do so much for myself) -- she arrived late Friday, btw.:glare:

I had 'the talk' with her -- but I fear it is falling (bad choice of a word, I know) on deaf ears.

Your prayers are coveted.:001_smile:

The OT and PT and I all had that talk with her last week at the hospital. And, it did do its job -- it got her to rehab. But, now that she is there (and she sounds fabulous btw), she is ready to jet out of there and go back home. I mean, really? She has had (are you ready for this?) at the end of today, ONE, yes ONE day of therapy!:banghead:

I tried to explain to her that she sounds and feels better b/c she is resting appropriately and she is in a virtually stress-free environment -- compared to being at sis' house.....and that is real positive in her getting better.

She's not listening. I know what will happen (and I HATE to be a doomsayer - but I see this going the way of everything else regarding her) -- she will get herself jettisoned out of rehab, she will be home TWO days, and she will be moaning and crying that she should have stayed in rehab for the entire 20 days she was allowed to stay there, b/c there would not have been one single change in anything at home.

I spoke with her this morning at length about the danger of re-injuring herself..................I spoke with her about leaving too soon and never re-gaining her independence.........I spoke with her about leaving too soon and not being able to drive with a cast on her leg and how she would be so isolated until the cast was removed (8 weeks from now).............she didn't listen. I reminded her that she was so unhappy before the injury, and that was when she was able to get in her car and go someplace if the isolation got to her.

:svengo:

Edited by MariannNOVA

I can't take anti-depressants but when I first started taking Seroquel, I had a complete remission of all symptoms. No pain, excellent mood, great sleep. That only lasted for about six months but it was wonderful. I don't know that any doctor would give that med for that reason though. I have heard of people that have had good results with anti-depressants for pain conditions. I also recommend either a chiropractor, message therapist or PT who is experienced at working with fibro patients. I have had my best results with this.

I have taken Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia. It did help for the first few months and then didn't help at all. I'm not sure why, but my rheumatologist did say that she has had that problem with several of her patients.

Its hard for me to give you an objective opinion on the Cymbalta b/c I take an array of other medications because I have several autoimmune diseases as well.

What has honestly worked the best for me in regards to chronic pain is exercise. Elliptical every morning....even when it hurts like heck. It usually helps, if I can make myself do it when I first wake up.

Hope this helps.

I take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. It's the only thing which has helped! I was diagnosed with fm about 7 years ago and have tried many things, including Lyrica. When Cymbalta was suggested, I almost didn't try it--just because nothing else had worked (and I hated the resulting withdrawal periods).

I started on 30 mg and then increased to 60 mg. The first week or two wasn't pleasant--I had some nausea, dizziness, etc. The dizziness was bad enough that I didn't feel capable of driving. But as that subsided, I could tell I was feeling much better! I went thru a second adjustment period when my dosage was increased, but it was easier the second time.

I've been on Cymbalta for just over a year. My pain is less, my sleep quality is much, much better, and my mood has improved (not sure if that's because of the Cymbalta or just due to better sleep and less pain). Quite honestly, I feel like I've been given my life back.

I can't say that Cymbalta is a "cure" for fm. I'm still quite aware of the fm. I need to make sure I get enough rest and be careful to not overdo or overschedule. There have been a few days when the pain has been bad--but I have NOT had those days on end when I just couldn't face the world because of the pain.

About the same time I started the Cymbalta, I also began cranial-sacral treatments from a licensed massage therapist. I still go for a treatment every 3 weeks or so.

I have been treated with other anti-depressants in the past (I had chronic insomnia for years before the full-blown fm). Nothing has come close to the benefits of Cymbalta.

I wish you all the best. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask (you can also PM if you like). Best of luck!

I have taken Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia. It did help for the first few months and then didn't help at all. I'm not sure why, but my rheumatologist did say that she has had that problem with several of her patients.

Its hard for me to give you an objective opinion on the Cymbalta b/c I take an array of other medications because I have several autoimmune diseases as well.

What has honestly worked the best for me in regards to chronic pain is exercise. Elliptical every morning....even when it hurts like heck. It usually helps, if I can make myself do it when I first wake up.

Hope this helps.

I have always used exercise as well...and it really was the only thing that helped...but I am now in so much pain, that I can't even THINK of begininng to exercise again. I stopped walking last March after walking every day 3 miles for 13 years....I was sick due to other autoimmune diseases (hashimoto's...my numbers were horrible! and PCOS/ Insulin Res....again...hypoglycemic problems.) Then, by not exercising, I had the worst fibro flare up in years. I am hoping the cymbalta will give me enough relief from the pain that I can get back on my exercise routine....then all the other stuff gets better as well...it is a nasty downward spiral....and after my mom died this fall....well...who felt like doing anything?

Anyway, thanks for the input...and I definitely think exercise is the most important factor in getting well.

Faithe

I take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. It's the only thing which has helped! I was diagnosed with fm about 7 years ago and have tried many things, including Lyrica. When Cymbalta was suggested, I almost didn't try it--just because nothing else had worked (and I hated the resulting withdrawal periods).

I started on 30 mg and then increased to 60 mg. The first week or two wasn't pleasant--I had some nausea, dizziness, etc. The dizziness was bad enough that I didn't feel capable of driving. But as that subsided, I could tell I was feeling much better! I went thru a second adjustment period when my dosage was increased, but it was easier the second time.

I've been on Cymbalta for just over a year. My pain is less, my sleep quality is much, much better, and my mood has improved (not sure if that's because of the Cymbalta or just due to better sleep and less pain). Quite honestly, I feel like I've been given my life back.

I can't say that Cymbalta is a "cure" for fm. I'm still quite aware of the fm. I need to make sure I get enough rest and be careful to not overdo or overschedule. There have been a few days when the pain has been bad--but I have NOT had those days on end when I just couldn't face the world because of the pain.

About the same time I started the Cymbalta, I also began cranial-sacral treatments from a licensed massage therapist. I still go for a treatment every 3 weeks or so.

I have been treated with other anti-depressants in the past (I had chronic insomnia for years before the full-blown fm). Nothing has come close to the benefits of Cymbalta.

I wish you all the best. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask (you can also PM if you like). Best of luck!

THANK YOU!!! This is really what I hoped to hear. My daughter is having similar results...she was in so much pain she ended up immobile. Cymbalta gave her back her life...her words as well.

Faithe

I can't take anti-depressants but when I first started taking Seroquel, I had a complete remission of all symptoms. No pain, excellent mood, great sleep. That only lasted for about six months but it was wonderful. I don't know that any doctor would give that med for that reason though. I have heard of people that have had good results with anti-depressants for pain conditions. I also recommend either a chiropractor, message therapist or PT who is experienced at working with fibro patients. I have had my best results with this.

I will definitely look into this. I have been going sporadically for massages, and I find the relief afterwards is wonderful and lasts a few weeks.

Maybe this should become more routine.

Faithe

Here are two answers below that I cut and pasted to another thread of mine earlier - the thread was about my dd and segued into stuff about my mom. I so appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

About the Cymbalta: I began taking it almost two weeks ago -- I do feel a marked improvement (I am taking it for depression). I go back in two weeks and I think we may increase the dosage --right now, I am pleased with it -- very pleased with it. Another benefit of it that I had not realized it helped (but it does) - and sorry if this is TMI, I would be going to the bathroom to urinate like 40 times an hour - not interstitial cystitis, but definitely frequent urge to go. It has stopped that. I feel so much better about that. My sister did say that she was very pleased with it. She used to describe her pain as 'wearing the bra of death' -- she said it was like an iron bra with spikes inside. There was so much work done and movement of her muscles when she had her mastectomy. She says the cymbalta has helped tremendously. Her daughter who is 19 takes it for depression and has had excellent results.

When I spoke with my mom this morning, she was telling me how ready she is to leave rehab (ready as in: I can already do so much for myself) -- she arrived late Friday, btw.:glare:

I had 'the talk' with her -- but I fear it is falling (bad choice of a word, I know) on deaf ears.

Your prayers are coveted.:001_smile:

The OT and PT and I all had that talk with her last week at the hospital. And, it did do its job -- it got her to rehab. But, now that she is there (and she sounds fabulous btw), she is ready to jet out of there and go back home. I mean, really? She has had (are you ready for this?) at the end of today, ONE, yes ONE day of therapy!:banghead:

I tried to explain to her that she sounds and feels better b/c she is resting appropriately and she is in a virtually stress-free environment -- compared to being at sis' house.....and that is real positive in her getting better.

She's not listening. I know what will happen (and I HATE to be a doomsayer - but I see this going the way of everything else regarding her) -- she will get herself jettisoned out of rehab, she will be home TWO days, and she will be moaning and crying that she should have stayed in rehab for the entire 20 days she was allowed to stay there, b/c there would not have been one single change in anything at home.

I spoke with her this morning at length about the danger of re-injuring herself..................I spoke with her about leaving too soon and never re-gaining her independence.........I spoke with her about leaving too soon and not being able to drive with a cast on her leg and how she would be so isolated until the cast was removed (8 weeks from now).............she didn't listen. I reminded her that she was so unhappy before the injury, and that was when she was able to get in her car and go someplace if the isolation got to her.

:svengo:

Gee whiz Mariann...your mom sounds like, ummmmm...ME!

It's ok...just a flesh wound...then WAH!! What was i thinking??

Anyway, at least she sounds great and is making improvements...attitude is so important when healing is involved.

Thanks for all the info on the Cymbalta...I will keep you updated as to how well it is working for me.

I am going to start it tonight...hope I get some sleep ...then see how it goes.

Thanks again...and keep us updated on Mom....I hope she at least gets a good week of therapy....20 days would be better.....one day at a time...

Faithe

Gee whiz Mariann...your mom sounds like, ummmmm...ME!

It's ok...just a flesh wound...then WAH!! What was i thinking??

Anyway, at least she sounds great and is making improvements...attitude is so important when healing is involved.

Thanks for all the info on the Cymbalta...I will keep you updated as to how well it is working for me.

I am going to start it tonight...hope I get some sleep ...then see how it goes.

Thanks again...and keep us updated on Mom....I hope she at least gets a good week of therapy....20 days would be better.....one day at a time...

Faithe

Wow - you are going to start it tonight - I will keep you in my prayers. I don't know how long it took to work for my sister -- everyone is different though, so that doesn't really matter. I felt nothing from it for the depression for about the first five days. Then a little, over the weekend alot. Today, headachey which I think is from the cymbalta and Wednesday will be two weeks since I started taking it. I pray you have good results the way I am having good results.

My whole family is like that: 'Sheesh, it's just a flesh wound -- can you get me a tourniquet and a blanket for the blood.' :svengo: Except, my daughter, Stacey, who had to take tylenol and lie down for a whole afternoon after she had her ears pierced when she was 11. My sister is also not good at handling pain - low pain threshold. I have a very high pain threshold as does my dd30. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you.

Take this with a grain of salt, but my mom recently went off Cymbalta and has some horrible side effects. She slowly weaned off, but she was struggling with anger, irritibility, blurry vision, pain, depression-almost worse than what it was when she started taking it. She couldn't figure out what was going on until she spoke with someone else who had gone off of Cymbalta. She finally found on-line a place where people are sharing their experiences coming off it. Some are even suicidal. Looks like there may be a class action lawsuit in the works against Cymbalta for the side affects when coming off it.

I know VERY little about this, so please do NOT take my word for it. It sounds like the pain you are dealing with may well be worth the potential risks if you ever came off it. And maybe you won't ever stop using it and it won't be an issue.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case it is real and would be a concern for someone. Or if someone who's on it, went off it and suffered through not knowing what was going on.

Best of luck in controlling your pain! Sounds like quite a struggle. :(

Take this with a grain of salt, but my mom recently went off Cymbalta and has some horrible side effects. She slowly weaned off, but she was struggling with anger, irritibility, blurry vision, pain, depression-almost worse than what it was when she started taking it. She couldn't figure out what was going on until she spoke with someone else who had gone off of Cymbalta. She finally found on-line a place where people are sharing their experiences coming off it. Some are even suicidal. Looks like there may be a class action lawsuit in the works against Cymbalta for the side affects when coming off it.

I know VERY little about this, so please do NOT take my word for it. It sounds like the pain you are dealing with may well be worth the potential risks if you ever came off it. And maybe you won't ever stop using it and it won't be an issue.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case it is real and would be a concern for someone. Or if someone who's on it, went off it and suffered through not knowing what was going on.

Best of luck in controlling your pain! Sounds like quite a struggle. :(

Effexor can be like this -- one time I delayed picking up my refilled prescription for 4 or 5 days -- I thought I was going to fall over.

I have been weaned off of Effexor a total of two times in the past 10 years -- I think that perhaps both times the side effects were non-existent b/c while I was being weaned OFF, I was also being weaned ONTO something else.

Asta (from this board) says that www.crazymeds.com (I think that's the website) has great info -- and she is right. Prior to beginning Cymbalta, I did alot of reading from their website.

I tried Cymbalta a few months ago for fibromyalgia, and didn't have a good experience. I didn't like the side effects and it didn't help with the pain at all. However, I only used it for a few weeks at a low dose, so maybe it would have helped if I'd stuck with it longer. But at the time it was too expensive for me to get more of it and hope that it might eventually work, so I dropped it. I hope it works for you. Keep us posted.

Day 1

Took the first dose last night and today, I am so dizzy and nauseaus i can't get out of bed. eeeeewwwww.....

BUT a lot of the pain in my back feels so much better. My legs can actually move....but I can't move....because I am afraid I am going to throw up....

Faithe

I took Cymbalta for about 9 months for fibro. At first, I did notice a marked improvement in my pain. Then, my dh and I began noticing that I was in a fog a good deal of the time. I seemed to be on permanent disconnect with him and the kids. I also gained 20 pounds and I was on a very small dose. I weaned myself off it and haven't taken anything since. I do indulge in massage therapy and body wraps. There is an amazing aloe body wrap from Set-N-Me-Free that works wonders for my pain and insomnia.

Day 1

Took the first dose last night and today, I am so dizzy and nauseaus i can't get out of bed. eeeeewwwww.....

BUT a lot of the pain in my back feels so much better. My legs can actually move....but I can't move....because I am afraid I am going to throw up....

Faithe

good morning! Yesterday was the first day I was somewhat dizzy and in a little bit of a fog from the cymbalta -- i.e., I was driving dd30 to have blood work done and I didn't get in the left lane at a traffic light to make a left turn - I was in the middle lane -- it didn't bother me at all -- I would normally freak out. I waited, saw what was going on, and then made my left turn (it is NOT a busy intersection). DD30 looked at me and said 'I want what your having.' :lol::lol::lol: And she is totally into naturopathic remedies.

If your body is telling you to take it easy (i.e., the nausea and dizziness), my humble opinion would be to listen to your body and give it a day as far as living with the side effects (only with the side effects that they say do not require a call to your doctor). Have you checked out www.crazymeds.com? Asta recommended that site and I have gained so much useful information from it. It has helped me tremendously when I speak with my doctor, and it has helped me sort of figure out why some stuff works for me and why some stuff doesn't -- which enables me to have intelligent interaction with my doc. I highly recommen that site.

I would be very encouraged by the improvement in your pain level, and that would be a sign to me to take it easy and see if the cymbalta will work. I resisted cymbalta for three months b/c of the negative comments that I had read here on WTM -- everyone is different -- some things work for some people, some things don't. IF I had known that my sister and niece were taking it, I would not have resisted and I would have gone with it first as my reasoning would have been that if it worked for my sister, there was a likelihood my experience on it would not be terrible. And if it only works for a few months, well, that would be a few months of comfort for you and you should enjoy it and cross the next bridge when you come to it.

On another topic: apparently, my mom is having a pity party -- it started last night from what I hear from my sister and my mom is the ONLY one invited. I have been trying to call her all morning (well for two hours anyway) and she is not picking up the phone.

We are coated in ice here - ice storm last night -- so we are having a school-filled day.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:I'm here if you need me (don't relaly know what THAT means -- but if you need to talk, I'm here)

Day 1

Faithe

The first week was horrible. Turning my head would make me feel like I was going to throw up. But I never actually did throw up, if that makes you feel any better.

The doctor who manages my Cymbalta is a psychiatrist of many years experience. He told me NEVER take Cymbalta without a bit of food. I've always followed his advice.

FWIW, I haven't gained any weight on Cymbalta, nor have I lost the 15+ lbs I gained while on Lyrica. I did have brain fog at first, but after the adjustment period, I'm much sharper and more alert than I was w/ the fibro fog.

My dr told me it's quite common for his patients to need to increase their dosage 6-12 months after they begin Cymbalta. I did go thru a rough patch at 11-12 months. I decided to wait to see if it would pass, and it did (I think it was mostly due to the stress of the holidays). I questioned dr about needing frequent increases in dosage--he said it's been his experience that only the one increase is needed around the 1 yr mark, and things stay steady after that.

Everyone is different in the reactions to meds, but I did want to share my experience. It sounds like you are committed to giving this a try. The side effects for me were so bad the first week I nearly gave up, but I'm so, so glad I stuck with it.

:grouphug:

The first week was horrible. Turning my head would make me feel like I was going to throw up. But I never actually did throw up, if that makes you feel any better.

The doctor who manages my Cymbalta is a psychiatrist of many years experience. He told me NEVER take Cymbalta without a bit of food. I've always followed his advice.

FWIW, I haven't gained any weight on Cymbalta, nor have I lost the 15+ lbs I gained while on Lyrica. I did have brain fog at first, but after the adjustment period, I'm much sharper and more alert than I was w/ the fibro fog.

My dr told me it's quite common for his patients to need to increase their dosage 6-12 months after they begin Cymbalta. I did go thru a rough patch at 11-12 months. I decided to wait to see if it would pass, and it did (I think it was mostly due to the stress of the holidays). I questioned dr about needing frequent increases in dosage--he said it's been his experience that only the one increase is needed around the 1 yr mark, and things stay steady after that.

Everyone is different in the reactions to meds, but I did want to share my experience. It sounds like you are committed to giving this a try. The side effects for me were so bad the first week I nearly gave up, but I'm so, so glad I stuck with it.

What dosage are you now on?? My doctor started me at 30 mg. / day for 1 week and then 60 mg from there on.....

After reading a lot online, I am almost afraid to go on this stuff because of the withdrawal. I have never taken this type of medication before because I am so afraid of brain altering meds.

Mariann, I did take it very easy today....and only had a minor snafu....I slipped my car off the road right outside my driveway...I wasn't going for a drive, just moving the van for the plow guy....ummmm....dh got my car out and put me back on the couch.....good thing we had an ice storm today and everyone was home.

I am not sure if I like this loopy feeling. I was really relieved from my pain today though....until I fell on my butt in the icy driveway....grrrrrrr.

My bones just feel better...really weird.

Faithe

What dosage are you now on?? My doctor started me at 30 mg. / day for 1 week and then 60 mg from there on.....

After reading a lot online, I am almost afraid to go on this stuff because of the withdrawal. I have never taken this type of medication before because I am so afraid of brain altering meds.

Mariann, I did take it very easy today....and only had a minor snafu....I slipped my car off the road right outside my driveway...I wasn't going for a drive, just moving the van for the plow guy....ummmm....dh got my car out and put me back on the couch.....good thing we had an ice storm today and everyone was home.

I am not sure if I like this loopy feeling. I was really relieved from my pain today though....until I fell on my butt in the icy driveway....grrrrrrr.

My bones just feel better...really weird.

Faithe

OUCH!!!!!

I didn't want to take Cymbalta b/c I told my doctor that I didn't look nearly as depressed as the folks on the tv commercials (truthfully, I was afraid b/c of everything I had read here). Withdrawal didn't scare me b/c I had been taken of effexor once before without incident or side effect so I wasn't concerned about the Cymbalta.

You have to decide for yourself -- I go back to my doc in two weeks to have the dosage increased to 60mg from 30mg.

Hope you get some rest and can think clearly about it. :grouphug:

I'm on it for neuropathic pain (RSD). It was probably the first Rx I was given, so I honestly can't say if its helped at all, since RSD has gotten worse since, but I don't know how bad it would be without it, if that makes sense.

No side effects I've noticed.

I'm on cymbalta in the am, lyrica in pm. I'm not noticing help/hindrance, since I deal with yesterday, when I went to bed at 1pm, woke 645 pm, back to bed at 8pm, up at 6am...then other nights when I don't sleep at all...

I figure with all the crap I'm on, the fact I can stand upright is a + in the win column.

I'm on it for neuropathic pain (RSD). It was probably the first Rx I was given, so I honestly can't say if its helped at all, since RSD has gotten worse since, but I don't know how bad it would be without it, if that makes sense.

I'm on cymbalta in the am, lyrica in pm. I'm not noticing help/hindrance, since I deal with yesterday, when I went to bed at 1pm, woke 645 pm, back to bed at 8pm, up at 6am...then other nights when I don't sleep at all...

I figure with all the crap I'm on, the fact I can stand upright is a + in the win column.

........and you can type with the best of them!;) :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My doctor gave me a 2 week sample of Cymbalta for my chronic back pain, as it starting to be used for that now too. I noticed a decrease in pain almost immediately, and by the 3rd day it was completely gone.

But, oh the side effects! I couldn't do anything. I literally just sat on the couch all day one of the days. It wasn't that I was tired or drowsy, I just Could. Not. Move. Then I read about the difficulty getting off of it, and decided it wasn't worth it.

I'm now getting physical therapy and massage -- something I've done on and off over the 13 years I've had this pain. Relief is temporary, but side effects are zero (except for the good feeling after the massage :001_smile:).

Obviously not everyone experiences those side effects, and maybe they'd taper off if I gave it more time, but I just couldn't do it.

Awww...Imp, I know you have been going through so much!

:grouphug::grouphug:

Today, I am not really able to collect my thought...oy!

The way I am looking at this is I have been in pain for the past 20 years and if this is going to help...and maybe help with my mood too, then I may as well try. I figure if I have to wean off it, I'll ask the doctor for some adavan or some other knock me on my butt for 3 days drug.

I just looked at the sample the doc. gave me and there are 3 weeks of 30 mg...and 4 60 mg.....I go back in 4 weeks...so I think I will call her and see if i can stay on the 30 for or 3 weeks and then amp up. I think I need some time to get used to this.....

Faithe

OUCH!!!!!

I didn't want to take Cymbalta b/c I told my doctor that I didn't look nearly as depressed as the folks on the tv commercials (truthfully, I was afraid b/c of everything I had read here). Withdrawal didn't scare me b/c I had been taken of effexor once before without incident or side effect so I wasn't concerned about the Cymbalta.

You have to decide for yourself -- I go back to my doc in two weeks to have the dosage increased to 60mg from 30mg.

Hope you get some rest and can think clearly about it. :grouphug:

I never wanted to go on this stuff because I am not depressed, but I am in pain and have been for years. I never took much for the pain because I was always pregnant or nursing...and I just dealt with it. Now, I am at a different place in my life and I just want to feel good for a little while before I am old...kwim?

I do have really bad PMS, so I hope this will help woth that as well. The reason I am trying cymbalta is because my dd has had such a good result.

I NEVER look like those people in commercials. I am not over the top jubilant, nor am I the other way....I am middle...LOL.

So, it kind of sounds like we are on this journey a bit together. ....and it sounds like this is working for you. i will try...worst comes to worse...I will come off it.....slooowly....

Faithe

........and you can type with the best of them!;) :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Amazing what you can do 1 handed ;)

Faithe, pain leads to depression as sure as God made little green apples. I don't doubt that thats part of the 'why' cymbalta works for so many ppl. Even when its so sneaky gradual that you don't notice til its gone.

Oh, and ativan...I can take it and still be awake another 48 hrs. *sigh*

Edited by Impish

Amazing what you can do 1 handed ;)

Faithe, pain leads to depression as sure as God made little green apples. I don't doubt that thats part of the 'why' cymbalta works for so many ppl. Even when its so sneaky gradual that you don't notice til its gone.

Oh, and ativan...I can take it and still be awake another 48 hrs. *sigh*

Really?????????????? I took 2 of those once before a tooth extraction. I slept for 3 straight days.....

So, on this cymbalta....once I start, does that mean i can NEVER come off this stuff?? Or similar stuff?? Then again...how much ibuprophen, hydrocodone and percodan can a person take and not have THAT effect them?

Being in pain sucks!

Faithe

Really?????????????? I took 2 of those once before a tooth extraction. I slept for 3 straight days.....

So, on this cymbalta....once I start, does that mean i can NEVER come off this stuff?? Or similar stuff?? Then again...how much ibuprophen, hydrocodone and percodan can a person take and not have THAT effect them?

Being in pain sucks!

Faithe

As I said, I have come off of Effexor twice in 10 years - never had a single side effect from the withdrawal. One thing at a time. First see how you do on the cymbalta before you get concerned about coming off it. :grouphug:

Tonight's note on my mom -- I finally got hold of her at dinner time. She had been at PT and OT when I tried her this morning. She sounded well. She was bummed last night b/c her PT had told her that she would be there probably till next Friday - which would make her stay a total of two weeks. She seems to be past her pity party now. She had visitors yesterday (her pastor, and my fil - who is also a pastor - and my sister and niece). My sister tried to cook a meal in the crock pot yesterday - she left it turned on HIGH. When my bil came in from the office, the smoke alarm was sounding. I joked with my mom that she needs to stay in rehab till sis learns how to cook basic simple every night meals.:lol::lol:

You have a good night and I hope you feel less foggy tomorrow.

As I said, I have come off of Effexor twice in 10 years - never had a single side effect from the withdrawal. One thing at a time. First see how you do on the cymbalta before you get concerned about coming off it. :grouphug:

Tonight's note on my mom -- I finally got hold of her at dinner time. She had been at PT and OT when I tried her this morning. She sounded well. She was bummed last night b/c her PT had told her that she would be there probably till next Friday - which would make her stay a total of two weeks. She seems to be past her pity party now. She had visitors yesterday (her pastor, and my fil - who is also a pastor - and my sister and niece). My sister tried to cook a meal in the crock pot yesterday - she left it turned on HIGH. When my bil came in from the office, the smoke alarm was sounding. I joked with my mom that she needs to stay in rehab till sis learns how to cook basic simple every night meals.:lol::lol:

You have a good night and I hope you feel less foggy tomorrow.

Mariann, I love your family...they sound so much like mine...

I am glad Mom is doing well, and resigned to finish out the rehab...2 weeks really isn't that long in the scheme of things...

Today, I still feel foggy, but not nearly like yesterday and not nauseaus. I just feel weird, like I am pretending to be here.....strange. The pain is very bearable...which is a marked improvement over usual when I wake up....I was able to get right up and walk, so that is definitely better. I am going to try and get in a good day of school today. We did pretty well yesterday...kids did math, reading, and LA...and we had lots of couch read-aloud time due to the ice storm. Kids made pies with dad...and we watched a movie that made my 6y/o cry (Letters to God.) It made me cry too.....

We are snowed in here today, so I won't even need to try and drive....

I am going to give this stuff 2 weeks...see how I feel, and then make a decision to continue or RUN! I just feel like I am on so many meds right now...and I am such a "natural" healing kinda girl....I am on thyroid meds, diabetes meds, pain meds and now this cr@p.....I can't help feeling a bit like I am being sucked into the medical industry vortex......

Faithe

Mariann, I love your family...they sound so much like mine...

I am glad Mom is doing well, and resigned to finish out the rehab...2 weeks really isn't that long in the scheme of things...

Today, I still feel foggy, but not nearly like yesterday and not nauseaus. I just feel weird, like I am pretending to be here.....strange. The pain is very bearable...which is a marked improvement over usual when I wake up....I was able to get right up and walk, so that is definitely better. I am going to try and get in a good day of school today. We did pretty well yesterday...kids did math, reading, and LA...and we had lots of couch read-aloud time due to the ice storm. Kids made pies with dad...and we watched a movie that made my 6y/o cry (Letters to God.) It made me cry too.....

We are snowed in here today, so I won't even need to try and drive....

I am going to give this stuff 2 weeks...see how I feel, and then make a decision to continue or RUN! I just feel like I am on so many meds right now...and I am such a "natural" healing kinda girl....I am on thyroid meds, diabetes meds, pain meds and now this cr@p.....I can't help feeling a bit like I am being sucked into the medical industry vortex......

Faithe

I am glad you are feeling some improvement. You know, I am from the generation that wants relief instantly -- If we had a microwave, I would stand in front of it and yell FASTER! :glare:

This entire 'give it 2-4 weeks' thing is a stumbling block for me, but it does seem to be based in fact (or something close to it). I would have 86-d the cymbalta after 5 days because I felt nothing -- but then on day 6, I realized that I didn't feel like I was going to dissolve into tears over nothing. Day 7, I was able to open my eyes in the a.m., and not dread the thought of putting my feet on the floor (yes, that is why it is called MAJOR depressive disorder -- no minor depressive disorder for me :glare:).

And, yes, I think we share similar experiences b/c you always 'get' what I am saying. I have our milk and meat and stuff delivered from a farm in Maryland -- glass bottles, organic, blah, blah, blah -- I hate that I take 4 prescription meds a day, but if I didn't, I'd probably be dead.

I am watching dd30 treat herself for chronic lyme disease using everything natural you can imagine and a few cat doses of antibiotics -- WOW! I would love to be able to do that.....who wouldn't love to be able to do that!?:glare:

I am less foggy today than I was on Monday (is today Wednesday? :001_huh: Really? :tongue_smilie: Already?:lol:)

Like everything else, this too is a process.:D Hang in there -- and I think your decision to give it two weeks is a great one -- these new fangled chemical concoctions can take that long to settle in and aloow us to see if and how they will work.

You know (and I really have to run - dd11 volunteers today at church and I have to drive her) -- the cymbalta experience is rather interesting -- I am two weeks further along than you -- the same stuff in my life is still there -- the stuff that had me not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. But, I am getting out of bed, not sobbing my way through the way. I know the stuff is there, I am thinking about it and trying to deal with it, but it is not dragging me down as if I have cinderblocks tied to my ankles and I have jumped into a lake. An unbelievable improvement and such a better way to live, imo.

Like I always jokingly say: Better Living Through Chemistry!:D

I totally get where you're at.

I also have hypothyroid. The meds I'm on are numerous, and it scares the crud out of me. I can't help but wonder what damage they're doing to my kidneys and liver. In an effort to have some quality of life, I take meds that undoubtedly shorten my life.

It sucks.

I was on hydrocodone at one point. Wasn't strong enough. :001_huh:

What blows my mind is, once again, I only slept a few hours. Yet, if I gave Wolf even half of what I take, he'd probably be out cold for several days. And I either barely sleep, or none at all. What sleep I do get is broken.

And, of course, when I don't sleep, pain levels rise, which makes sleep worse, which increases the pain...wash, rinse, repeat until my body collapses, as it did Monday.

Chronic pain just freakin' sucks. Huge.

Just checking in, Faithe, to see how you're doing today.

To answer one of your questions, I currently take 60 mg daily. I started on 30 mg and stayed at that level for several weeks (maybe 2 months?) before I increased to 60. I don't think I would have agreed to increase to 60 mg if I hadn't been absolutely sure it was helping.

I have tried so many things, and subsequently have had to go thru withdrawal. The withdrawal from Lyrica was horrible! That was the reason I was so reluctant to try Cymbalta. But when you're miserable, and your daily life is so impacted by your pain and fatigue, I guess I figured what did I have to lose? I had done withdrawals and survived, and had really hit bottom again with the fibro, so I decided to try one more thing.

And yes, I tried all the "natural" remedies, and I still use many of them. I refuse to feel guilty about taking the Cymbalta! There was a time I could barely get off the couch to make young dd a sandwich. I cannot emphasize enough how much better I am today. I did not want dd's only memories of me to be PAIN. My mom and sister, who don't live close so we don't see each other regularly, couldn't believe the difference after a few months of Cymbalta.

So don't stress about withdrawing . . . try it for a week or two and see how it goes.

Just checking in, Faithe, to see how you're doing today.

To answer one of your questions, I currently take 60 mg daily. I started on 30 mg and stayed at that level for several weeks (maybe 2 months?) before I increased to 60. I don't think I would have agreed to increase to 60 mg if I hadn't been absolutely sure it was helping.

I have tried so many things, and subsequently have had to go thru withdrawal. The withdrawal from Lyrica was horrible! That was the reason I was so reluctant to try Cymbalta. But when you're miserable, and your daily life is so impacted by your pain and fatigue, I guess I figured what did I have to lose? I had done withdrawals and survived, and had really hit bottom again with the fibro, so I decided to try one more thing.

And yes, I tried all the "natural" remedies, and I still use many of them. I refuse to feel guilty about taking the Cymbalta! There was a time I could barely get off the couch to make young dd a sandwich. I cannot emphasize enough how much better I am today. I did not want dd's only memories of me to be PAIN. My mom and sister, who don't live close so we don't see each other regularly, couldn't believe the difference after a few months of Cymbalta.

So don't stress about withdrawing . . . try it for a week or two and see how it goes.

Thank you so much. My dh wants me to try it for at least a week. I figure the withdrawal will be less since I am on the low dose.

Today, I feel really weird...like my brain can't remember how to spell and I hesitated when writing out a number line for my ds....I did remember 9...LOL, but it took a second.

I have been though so much pain throughout the last 20 years, but I always forced myself to do whatever I had to do...and my life is very physical. (We live in the country and have acres of grounds to keep. I found the more I exercised, the better I felt. I also had bouts of depression (hormonal?) but I never took anything for that either...I have been pregnant and nursing for 20 straight years....LOL. NOW, I am looking at the remnants of me...and I NEED to get myself somewhat healthy again, both physically and emotionally, so I can enjoy these beautiful children that God has blessed me with.

I am so lucky/ blessed, that my kids and dh are so supportive...

I am rambling.

As far as withdrawal...can't the doctor give you something to help go through that? I mean....since they know about it...and it is documented...then shouldn't they ease the misery?

Just wondering...

Faithe

I totally get where you're at.

I also have hypothyroid. The meds I'm on are numerous, and it scares the crud out of me. I can't help but wonder what damage they're doing to my kidneys and liver. In an effort to have some quality of life, I take meds that undoubtedly shorten my life.

It sucks.

I was on hydrocodone at one point. Wasn't strong enough. :001_huh:

What blows my mind is, once again, I only slept a few hours. Yet, if I gave Wolf even half of what I take, he'd probably be out cold for several days. And I either barely sleep, or none at all. What sleep I do get is broken.

And, of course, when I don't sleep, pain levels rise, which makes sleep worse, which increases the pain...wash, rinse, repeat until my body collapses, as it did Monday.

Chronic pain just freakin' sucks. Huge.

Chronic pain does suck! and so does insomnia....

I am not sure whether my pain is from Fibro or Diabetic neuropathy or a combo. I am NOT in as much pain as I hear described...yet, I have a very high thresh hold for pain...I really don't remember what it is like NOT to have pain...how sick is that? I very rarely talk about it IRL because even I am sick of hearing about it. I really thought everyone felt like this...OY! Then I see people 20 years older than me running and skiing etc...and I am like....:confused:

I am not sure if I am going to keep taking this stuff or not...I promised dh I would try it for a week.....

Faithe

I took Cymbalta for nerve pain last year. I don't have fibro, but sciatic pain due to a blown L4&L5. Aside from horrible nausea, I loved it. The nausea was worth the pain relief so I just dealt with the the nausea. Then the longer I was on it, the worse my mental side effects were. After the first couple of months, I went into a very dark place mentally. Not suicidal, just quiet and dark, like an unlit room. I sat in a chair most of the day, and just did what I had to to get by. I took myself off.

Then my paid doctor suggested trying a newer med called Savella. It is only FDA approved for Fibro, but he said he would keep me in samples if my insurance wouldn't cover it for sciatic pain. That was an awesome drug for me. He is a pain specialist and he says that he is switching a lot of his patients to it, as it has many fewer side effects than other similar meds for nerve pain/fibro.

I finally went off of it too, but while I was on it, I felt good and never felt the 'dark' place closing in again.

I don't have fibro but I do have celiac disease, which includes some muscle aches (that mostly went away going GF, but have snuck back up on me to a degree over the last few months).

I take Cymbalta for depression and anxiety but the bext side effect is that it helps my muscles. If I forget to take it one day my hands ache from holding my baby and I get knots in my back, arms, and hands.

I'm on the lowest dosage, which is 30 mg.

Being in pain sucks!

Faithe

I was on Cymbalta once before a few years ago. I did have a hard time coming off of it, but it only lasted about two days. I regretted going off of it once I did. As for the adjustment, the first time I went on I think it took me up to two weeks to fully adjust. I felt really nauseated and I felt dizzy and lightheaded. I didn't have that experience when I went back on it.

I totally failed at the cymbalta thing. The 3rd night, I had a full blown panic attack...it was horrible. Then I threw up and later on I passed out and hit my head, again (I had fallen in the driveway during the day. I was dizzy and slipped on the ice.) I never took my 3rd dose.

I recovered yesterday, but now I am wondering if there is even a smaller dose, or if I can take 1 every other day. I meant to call my doctor today, but my son was having car trouble...and I needed to drive him back and forth from school. I was glad I wasn't on the cymbalta because I never could have driven today....sigh.

I am not sure if I should try again or not.

Faithe

I totally failed at the cymbalta thing. The 3rd night, I had a full blown panic attack...it was horrible. Then I threw up and later on I passed out and hit my head, again (I had fallen in the driveway during the day. I was dizzy and slipped on the ice.) I never took my 3rd dose.

I recovered yesterday, but now I am wondering if there is even a smaller dose, or if I can take 1 every other day. I meant to call my doctor today, but my son was having car trouble...and I needed to drive him back and forth from school. I was glad I wasn't on the cymbalta because I never could have driven today....sigh.

I am not sure if I should try again or not.

Faithe

Oh, my, that is not good. I didn't have those kind of side effects when I took it, but I started off on a low dose. Yes, talk to your doctor :grouphug:

Hi Mommyfaithe,

I am sorry to hear you have Fibro! How long have you had it? I tried Cymbalta to help with pain management last June. I took 30mg and lasted about 3 weeks on it. I was SOOOOO tired, and I already have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so I could not handle the extra fatigue. I am on a whole bunch of meds, and still feel horrible. It can be a long search for the right meds but hopefully eventually you'll find the right combo :-)

Marisa