Menu

Where to travel in December, somewhat educational, somewhat fun?

I am thinking ahead and wondering where we could travel next year over Christmas. My ideal location is not cold and definitely has no snow. We must be able to drink the water and eat the food without worry. It can't be as far away as China or Australia. Beaches are fine but I don't want us to spend the whole time on the beach. It would be great if there was touring or something educational for the children. We love nature and hiking too. Any ideas? Have you had any great December trips with your children?

Southern California. There's lots of zoos, amusement parks, and so on, as well as the missions, Old Town in San Diego, and so forth if you want something historical. The beaches are there (though generally too cold for more than wading if you don't have a wet suit or really like cold water :)), but there's plenty to do otherwise, too. The weather is likely to allow short sleeves, and lack of snow is pretty much guaranteed unless you go to the mountains. Going over to Mexico for a day trip or longer is also an easy option.

St. Augustine, Florida. Tons of nifty educational and historical stuff (was originally a Spanish settlement) and beaches. Truly a lovely vacation spot.

Antigua, Guatemala. Gorgeous, totally unique spot. Tons of ruins and nifty historical stuff. It's also safer than many other places in Guatemala. Picturesque and lovely, plus you can say to our board friend, Dayle. :D No beaches, though, and you cannot drink the water, but bottled water is easy to come by.

Tulum, Mexico. Tons of nifty educational and historical stuff and beaches. Can't drink the water, but bottled water is easily come by. Lovely vacation spot.

San Antonio with the Alamo, Padre Island has beaches and the USS Lexington (an aircraft carrier set up as a museum.)

I wouldn't recommend Williamsburg. It easily has many days that are have highs in the 30's & 40's with at least 15 knot winds. If you are looking for warm go farther south, IMO.

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas! Keep them coming! I am sitting here in the cold with a chest cold and though I am stuck here now I can dream at least.

Do they count the week right after Christmas as high season? What are the educational places in the Caribbean?

Charleston sounds nice. Is it nice at Christmas? Lots to do?

I vote for St. Augustine. It fits all your criteria and it's close to home. There's also Kennedy Space Center nearby and lots of Indian villages too so many educational and fun opportunities. :)

St. Augustine is not far enough south to guarantee a warm Christmas. It's been downright f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g this year. I remember plenty of Christmases in shorts, but also some where the bridges froze and it was cold. I'd vote farther south. Sanibel Island is gorgeous and would be wonderful at Christmas. It is the high season though so would be more expensive. High season in South Florida is generally Thanksgiving through Easter.

Lisa

Do they count the week right after Christmas as high season? What are the educational places in the Caribbean?

The Dominican Republic has a lot of colonial history. Their Colonial City is really pretty with cobble streets etc. They have the first University in the Americas, first Cathedral and it is also the burial place of Christopher Columbus. The Colonial City is in the capital Santo Domingo. They also have some national heroes buried there too. The food is great and the weather is pleasant and it's a beautiful country, the only downside is that you would really have to speak Spanish or have someone with you who does if you don't to get the most out of it.

St. Augustine is not far enough south to guarantee a warm Christmas. It's been downright f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g this year. I remember plenty of Christmases in shorts, but also some where the bridges froze and it was cold. I'd vote farther south. Sanibel Island is gorgeous and would be wonderful at Christmas. It is the high season though so would be more expensive. High season in South Florida is generally Thanksgiving through Easter.

Lisa

Yeah these last two winters have been nuts. It's usually never this cold. brrr.

I am thinking ahead and wondering where we could travel next year over Christmas. My ideal location is not cold and definitely has no snow. We must be able to drink the water and eat the food without worry. It can't be as far away as China or Australia. Beaches are fine but I don't want us to spend the whole time on the beach. It would be great if there was touring or something educational for the children. We love nature and hiking too. Any ideas? Have you had any great December trips with your children?

Hawaii. How long are you going for? If just a week, stick with one or two islands. If longer, you could possibly add more.

If you like more populated areas (cities), consider Oahu. On Oahu I'd visit Pearl Harbor and the North Shore as a minimum. Then you could do other things (Diamond Head, etc). They do have some snorkeling, but it's very crowded and not as good as some other places unless you are just staying on Oahu. Otherwise, there are museums, less crowded beaches than Waikiki, and some nice scenery.

If you like more rural areas, then I'd choose between The Big Island and Kauai.

The Big Island has Volcanoes NP and a chance to see an active volcano - esp at night - but it will depend on the lava flow at the time. It can't be predicted. There are beaches of many colors, including black, pretty valleys in the north that are worth hiking or riding down, nice waterfalls, great snorkeling or diving in the west. If you dive, do the manta ray night dive. It can be snorkeled too, but I'm unsure of kids ages. There are other national parks, a really nice observatory (but to do the tour, kids have to be 16, all can go up to a welcome center), coffee plantations and assorted other options.

Kauai is the prettiest island of the chain, but quite rural. It's best if you want gorgeous beaches all around and great hiking options. Snorkeling is also good on the right beaches. Waimea Canyon (The Grand Canyon of the Pacific) is absolutely gorgeous. So is the north shore. And again, there are waterfalls and a few other assorted options to choose from.

If you go with Hawaii, I highly recommend going to the library and reading Wizard Pub's guide books to see which island(s) would appeal to you. Any of the three above would meet all your requirements of warmth, relaxation, history, and educational. Plus you can drink the water (and eat the fresh fruit, etc!) safely!

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas! Keep them coming! I am sitting here in the cold with a chest cold and though I am stuck here now I can dream at least.

Charleston sounds nice. Is it nice at Christmas? Lots to do?

Yes, the week after Christmas is high season. The least expensive weeks to sail are the two weeks before Thanksgiving and the two weeks before Christmas. Cruises are more expensive when ps children are out of school.

An Eastern Caribbean cruise could take you to Grand Cayman with the turtle farm (http://www.grand-cayman-wanderer.com/grand-cayman-turtle-farm.html) and the butterfly farm (http://www.caymanislands.ky/vacation_planner/eBrochure.aspx?pid=36655). Seeing the culture of the island people is an education in itself.

A Western Caribbean cruise will take you to many ports of call in Central America. Mexico has some of the most beautiful Mayan ruins at Tulum

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulum and Chichen Itza (http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/apr2002.html). A stop in Belize gets you to the baboon wildlife sanctuary (http://www.chaacreek.com/belize-travel-blog/2009/03/belize-baboon-sanctuary-you-say-baboon-we-say-howler-monkey/) with wild howler monkeys roaming free. Key West is often a port of call and to see how a city is set up on the tip of the Florida Keys is amazing as well as the very laid back lifestyle.

Beautiful beaches await. The cruise itself is educational as children learn about formal dinners and formal attire, theatre productions, how to handle oneself on a cruise (a very different environment), immigration, customs, etc.

DS will be taking his fourth cruise in February. On each one, he has learned something new.

Hawaii. How long are you going for? If just a week, stick with one or two islands. If longer, you could possibly add more.

Just had to add that the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace are also musts if you're visiting Oahu and want more history and culture lessons.

I've only been to the Big Island a couple of times but did get to see the lava flowing into the ocean. Very cool!