Menu

At what point do you stop making history a read aloud program?

hsmom

All of the programs I am looking into are literature based, and have read aloud books. Now at what age do you stop doing this and make it independent?

I guess when they go away to college, although I hope my kids will always feel welcome to call me with an awesome historical tidbit from their studies. I've been on my own for eleven years, but I still share history with my dad and brother.

. . . I've always included some reading aloud in my planning. And my experiences have been quite different with the two kids.

My daughter (13 and no longer homeschooling) loved being read aloud to as long as she was at home. In fact, when she was here on semester break this year, she insisted that we pick a family read-aloud.

My son (10), however, just isn't into having me read to him. He reads quite a lot for fun and will read pretty much anything I assign, but seems to prefer to read for himself. (Kind of hurts my feelings, but I'll survive.) I recently officially gave up on our remaining read-aloud for this year and am in the process of revising my plans for next year to not include any.

He does enjoy listening to audio books when we're in the car together, though, so we've done some of that this year.

As soon as I can get out of it!! We discuss at the beginning of the week then I hand her a pile of books. I haven't read her history for a year or two now. Trying to think back, I know I did in 1st grade and into 1st semester of 2nd, but after that she went solo. No, I take that back, I read her CHOW in 2nd grade so we could do the outlining workbook for it together. So I guess you could say we transitioned. There hasn't been a really good spine for this year (VP MARR), so I just dumped it all on her, reading the card together, discussing, then leaving her to her pile of books, which she is quite happy with. If I can find a great spine for american, I'd read it to her. I'm sure not going to sweat it though, not at this age, not with a history buff who's content to read it all herself.

Here's how I break it down for my five-soon-to-be-six children:

Grade 1 & under - don't have to listen to history readings

Grades 2-6 - listen together to history read-aloud (Famous Men, etc.)

Grades 7+ - do independent reading & assignments; may also listen to my read-aloud if they choose.

For our read-aloud literature, however, everyone listens.

Dd12 requested that she read most of her history (SL) on her own last year for 5th. She reads very well, so I was not worried that she was skimming. We still review and do narration on her readings but she is much happier reading on her own and reads much more than if we were still reading aloud.

I plan on reading aloud to dd7 for as long as she likes, but I'm guessing she will be like big sister, and at some point want to just read on her own. As a family we still read aloud bks for fun and listen to audio bks almost daily, so I'm not worried about dropping this one aspect of her history.

Guest Shanna

Grades 7+ - do independent reading & assignments; may also listen to my read-aloud if they choose.

This is pretty much what we do.

Last year, I did Modern World history with my hs ds. He did a lot of reading on his own for the class, but we still shared a read aloud. We did this for some of the exciting books and as a way for us both to be able to get through some of the more challenging or dry books. We buddy read and then discuss what we had read. It was wonderful to have good, intelligent discussions with my almost adult son.

This semester we aren't doing any read alouds because of his schedule with his classes and I miss it. He has started sharing his philosophy for his cc class with me and will read sections of his books to me so that we can discuss it. I love this.

For my younger two, I am planning to keep the read aloud as an integral part of our day until the day they leave for college.

I thought I would have my 5th grade dd read her own history this year, but I found that I really missed knowing all that she was studying. I know that at some point I want her to read her own history and get the info on her own, but I guess *I* just wasn't ready for it yet!

I guess when they go away to college, although I hope my kids will always feel welcome to call me with an awesome historical tidbit from their studies. I've been on my own for eleven years, but I still share history with my dad and brother.

I totally agree! My eldest graduates from our homeschool in 6 weeks, and we still read aloud to each other at lease 3x a week, not only from history, but also literature and science. I think the reading aloud to Taz and answering all his questions helped him understand that he can ask me anything, and even if we don't agree, it's okay. I will always respect his opinion, and he, mine. It's a time we each cherish because of our lively discussions, whether we agree with the other's interpretation or opinion or not.

Last term I tried having everyone do more independent history reading, but when I asked at the end of term for my kids opinions of what they did and didn't like about their schoolwork, my dd13 requested more read-togethers. She missed it and wanted more. Soooo, this term I'm structuring history around the read-aloud with each child then having their own read-alone books from the same time period to go along with it. I think it will be a good balance.

As soon as I can get out of it!! I'm sure not going to sweat it though, not at this age, not with a history buff who's content to read it all herself.

Same here....older ds has been reading his alone for a few years now. I didn't start history with my younger this year but he has listened to some of the SOTW CDs. I'll be reading it to him this Fall though.

All of the programs I am looking into are literature based, and have read aloud books. Now at what age do you stop doing this and make it independent?

Just as soon as they read silently as fluently and easily as I can read aloud. I hated being read to by the time I was in 4th grade, since I could read it several times faster silently. It also gives kids independence--I'm big at fostering that. *g* We'll still do discussion in HS, though.

Except that I stop the history read alouds in 5th grade. We still read aloud the CW models each week, and I do read aloud time during lunch. Read aloud literature is done at nighttime by dad.

Not sure, I have one in high school and one entering Jr high and I still read aloud some history. Its only because I like it so much though.

by 5th grade I feel kids should be transitioning to be more independent in work. It takes time..... so by 7th grade they are independent, unless I want to read with them....

I thought I would have my 5th grade dd read her own history this year, but I found that I really missed knowing all that she was studying. I know that at some point I want her to read her own history and get the info on her own, but I guess *I* just wasn't ready for it yet!

I hear ya... I like to know too, and not just from notes. I’m just glad they don’t mind me reading with them. Typically they read the spine and I will read a supplement or something like that...