Menu

Coffee Spin-Off - Copycat Recipes?

I'm not a cold coffee drinker myself, but as I currently have my coffee sitting in water on my counter "brewing" for this weekend... I'm up for copycat recipes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5253525_make-coldbrewed-coffee-concentrate.html

After all, I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and wondering what I should buy to make myself something fabulous? ;)

I'm usually a Mocha girl, but I'll take a Carmel Macchiatto or so many of the others... :)

Edited by BlsdMama

Starbucks sells the peppermint flavoring near Christmas time. It is about $8 for a large bottle.....that can last you all year! Or for me, longer. I like them some, but I prefer a strong latte with no flavoring in it because I love the coffee flavor.

However, that said, I have gotten into making a blended frappaccino in the afternoons now. If I make them at home, I control the flavors and the calories, etc....

BTW: I HATE those creamers, ANY of them....they are gross and ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee (wanna fight about it? :lol:.....just writing the above made me think of the chicken salad thread!) I want real half and half if it is a strong cup of Joe or skim milk in my latte or frappaccino.

Dawn

White Choc Peppermint Mocha. I would love to be able to make it without the in season only creamer.

All I have to say is I'm in love with the cold brew process.

I read a little more on it and found my coffee only needed to soak for 12-18 hours. So, bright and early this AM, I drained my coffee and ended up with three pints of concentrate.

I was a little skeptical at the idea of it being 1/4-1/3 c. per 2/3 cup of milk/cream but WOW. They were right. And it was, hands down, the best cup of coffee I've ever prepared at home. Ever.

I had a dark chocolate mocha with whip cream. I made DH a caramel machiatto. It made my morning very, very happy. :lol: It was like a birthday present to my very own self.

And to think, a pound of coffee, ten cups of water, and I sat it in my crockpot overnight. I'm very seriously considering giving my coffee pot to Goodwill. Thanks Bill, I'm feeling pretty grateful this morning.

BTW: I HATE those creamers, ANY of them....they are gross and ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee (wanna fight about it? :lol:.....just writing the above made me think of the chicken salad thread!) I want real half and half if it is a strong cup of Joe or skim milk in my latte or frappaccino.

Dawn

Dawn,

I'm with you. I hate creamer. I swear I can taste the oil or something dreadful in liquid creamer and powder creamer is even worse. Give me whole milk, or half and half, or cream, or whatever, but creamer - blech.

I read a little more on it and found my coffee only needed to soak for 12-18 hours. So, bright and early this AM, I drained my coffee and ended up with three pints of concentrate.

I was a little skeptical at the idea of it being 1/4-1/3 c. per 2/3 cup of milk/cream but WOW. They were right. And it was, hands down, the best cup of coffee I've ever prepared at home. Ever.

I had a dark chocolate mocha with whip cream. I made DH a caramel machiatto. It made my morning very, very happy. :lol: It was like a birthday present to my very own self.

And to think, a pound of coffee, ten cups of water, and I sat it in my crockpot overnight. I'm very seriously considering giving my coffee pot to Goodwill. Thanks Bill, I'm feeling pretty grateful this morning.

I was so excited after reading that other thread. I have some cold coffee brewing right now.

What did you use to strain the grounds. I have mesh strainers but it doesn't seem like that would be fine enough, did you use a coffee filter too?

Is this method only good for cold drinks or can you make hot coffee with the concentrate too?

Lesley

You can make hot coffee. Just add concentrate and boiling water. Cold water method "hot" coffee has its own thing. Very clean taste, low acidity. The closest thing is vacuum pot coffee (but probably fewer people have tried that than cold water method coffee). Hot it is "different" from French Press or Filtered. As I said, it has its own thing.

As iced coffee it is almost unsurpassed. DO NOT OVERDOSE!!!

Bill (who knows there will be some ladies making lots of yummy drinks and having sleepless nights ;) :D)

Dawn,

I'm with you. I hate creamer. I swear I can taste the oil or something dreadful in liquid creamer and powder creamer is even worse. Give me whole milk, or half and half, or cream, or whatever, but creamer - blech.

You might try playing with a can of condensed milk and see if you like it. It is what's used in the famous Thai Iced Tea and Thai Iced Coffee Drinks, and could be spun in different directions. It's worth a shot.

Non-daily creamer is vile, and one of the most unhealthful products a person could ever consume.

Bill

You can make hot coffee. Just add concentrate and boiling water. Cold water method "hot" coffee has its own thing. Very clean taste, low acidity. The closest thing is vacuum pot coffee (but probably fewer people have tried that than cold water method coffee). Hot it is "different" from French Press or Filtered. As I said, it has its own thing.

As iced coffee it is almost unsurpassed. DO NOT OVERDOSE!!!

Bill (who knows there will be some ladies making lots of yummy drinks and having sleepless nights ;) :D)

I just bought an AeroPress (vacuum) and am thinking of taking out a bank loan to support the increase in coffee budget. So good!

I'm just going to repeat this one more time as a Public Service Announcement.

DO NOT OVERDOSE!!!

The concentrate will be deceptive. So smooth you could drink it (a glass) with a touch of milk. That would be a mistake. You will be CAFFINATED and not sleep.

Ask me how I know :Blink:

Bill (who knows there will be at least one who does not listen :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Spy Car

Did you turn the crock pot on? Low or high? Do you know how long the concentrate last for in the fridge?

THanks,

Lisa

I'm just going to repeat this one more time as a Public Service Announcement.

DO NOT OVERDOSE!!!

The concentrate will be deceptive. So smooth you could drink it (a glass) with a touch of milk. That would be a mistake. You will be CAFFINATED and not sleep.

Wondering if you can make it out of decaf beans?? Or will that affect the whole drink adversely? I don't like to drink caffeinated coffee past noon or I do have issues sleeping.

Is there a cold brew equivalent to espresso? For example, could the concentrate be used straight instead of diluted? DH is an espresso addict, he drinks 8-10 double espressos/day (it's a Ritalin substitute!), and I'm wondering if there would be a cold brewed substitute that wouldn't be so hard on his stomach. Not to mention the fact that I would love to get that gigantic espresso machine off the counter, and not be awakened by the noise every morning at 5:00. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

So, my story... But to be fair, this warning came too late. :D DD loves coffee drinks. And I thought, well, it's 2/3 cup MILK and a tiny bit of concentrate... What's the harm? So I made her a beautiful dark chocolate mocha with whipped cream and drizzled caramel. Yes, I got mama points this A.M. ;) And about an hour later she says, "Mom, that was WAY too much for me. I can really feel the caffeine. My head actually hurts I think." So, yes, it's REALLY concentrated. But, it tastes SO good.

First for the person who asked how we strained it. I used my tea strainer which is also known as the sieve / strainer that goes to my juicer. But you're right, the mesh is too big. So then we took it and ran it through the our coffee filter basket. We have a reuseable filter basket and it worked perfectly. I imagine a paper filter would take a good long time, but if you can pick up one of those little inexpensive baskets, they are handy.

Second, we spent the morning doing a little experimenting. These were all hot drinks. I'm not a fan of cold coffee. I spent a while reading on the cold brewing process. It isn't the heating of the coffee that makes it bitter or acidic - it's the heating of the bean itself. So heating the concentrate won't change the smooth taste.

Apparently (or so I read) a caramel machiatto is essential a vanilla latte with caramel on the whipped cream? Whatever it was, it was good.

* 2/3 cup milk, 3 pumps of vanilla syrup, 1/3 c. concentrate, whip cream and caramel drizzle.

I had a dark chocolate mocha....

*2/3 cup milk - heated, add 1/3 cup of concentrate, then 2 heaping teaspoons of cocoa (the real stuff not the mix) and 2 teaspoons of sugar.

All in all, a very good morning.

Edited by BlsdMama

So, my story... But to be fair, this warning came too late. :D DD loves coffee drinks. And I thought, well, it's 2/3 cup MILK and a tiny bit of concentrate... What's the harm? So I made her a beautiful dark chocolate mocha with whipped cream and drizzled caramel. Yes, I got mama points this A.M. ;) And about an hour later she says, "Mom, that was WAY too much for me. I can really feel the caffeine. My head actually hurts I think." So, yes, it's REALLY concentrated

I'm sorry my warning was too late. I hope the caffeine jolt doesn't rob her (or you) of sleep. It makes yummy coffee...but be careful out there!

Bill

Is there a cold brew equivalent to espresso? For example, could the concentrate be used straight instead of diluted? DH is an espresso addict, he drinks 8-10 double espressos/day (it's a Ritalin substitute!), and I'm wondering if there would be a cold brewed substitute that wouldn't be so hard on his stomach. Not to mention the fact that I would love to get that gigantic espresso machine off the counter, and not be awakened by the noise every morning at 5:00. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

I've had it straight Jackie. Although, strange to say, I don't recall ever heating the concentrated to try an "espresso-like" drink. While the method could not be more different the results of the concentrate are somewhat similar to espresso. He man would like it. but could he be trusted? I tend to think not.

8-10 Double espressos a day? :001_huh:

It is famously easier on the stomach, so if that's an issue it might help. It is just easy to drink too much (being so easy).

Exercise restraint.

Bill

I've had it straight Jackie. Although, strange to say, I don't recall ever heating the concentrated to try an "espresso-like" drink. While the method could not be more different the results of the concentrate are somewhat similar to espresso. He man would like it. but could he be trusted? I tend to think not.

8-10 Double espressos a day? :001_huh:

He's ADD and says that a double espresso every hour or so is almost as good as Ritalin, especially when he's writing code. Plus he's really into beans, he special-orders some variety of Antigua. So if the cold brew has good flavor and a good caffeine hit, with less acid (and no noise at 5:00 AM!) then I think we may have a winner! :thumbup:

Thank you!

Jackie

He's ADD and says that a double espresso every hour or so is almost as good as Ritalin, especially when he's writing code. Plus he's really into beans, he special-orders some variety of Antigua. So if the cold brew has good flavor and a good caffeine hit, with less acid (and no noise at 5:00 AM!) then I think we may have a winner! :thumbup:

Thank you!

Jackie

If he has heart palpitations...don't blame me :D

Otherwise, you may like this.

Bill