Menu

Besides floradix is there another natural form of iron

Other then food.?

I cannot take those frozen raw liver. ICK. I tried and tried. I just cannot do it.

I am taking Vitron-C(Iron with Vitamin C) 65mg of elemental iron. 3X a day.

Not sure the Floradix is doing anything. Except stained my teeth.

Is there another form of natural iron that is highly absorbable, without constipation, and has a higher iron level?

And, what is the BEST form of iron pills you have found? Maybe there is something better out there then the Vitron-C? Again, without stomach upset or constipation?

My iron levels were doing okay until I hit a rough patch of 3 weeks of bleeding because I had the IUD taken out. My HGB and HCT dropped somewhat. Going in for ferritin levels on Monday along with TIBC/Sat rate/Serum iron.

My naturopath gave me a tincture to slow the bleeding. Going to see how that works whenever my period decides to show up again(which I hope is never as far as I'm concerned!). I bleed heavy the first two days of my periods. And they come so close together. But not sure now since the IUD was taken out on December 26th.(Thank goodness never again)

ETA: I am asymptomatic. I feel fine. But really want to keep those levels up and steady.

Floradix is supplemental iron (is it ferrous gluconate...I can't remember...but it's a supplemental iron). It's no more natural than any other supplemental iron form. It's just in a high priced liquid of natural things (that aren't necessary).

Check into ferrous bisglycinate/ferrochel. If you google ferrochel you can look at studies on how well it increases levels compared to other forms and how well it's tolerated/without side effects. Ferrochel is the patented brand name for ferrous bisglycinate form. It's no less natural than the ferrous gluconate or whatever is the form in the floradix. It's is extremely well absorbed (3 x's better than other supplements) and well tolerated (you won't have constipation). It finally raised my son's levels when he couldn't tolerate other forms due to constipation and didn't raise on Floradix which he hated and which stained his teeth. I have Solgar Gentle Iron but there are other companies that use ferrochel/ferrous bisglycinate as well. It's in a capsule so no stained teeth.

As far as supplementing, I really just started in September. After an IV Iron Infusion. My levels are pretty good, but fell somewhat because of a 3 week long bleeding episode.

I take BSM.

I am not sure what my ferritin levels are now. Getting those checked on Monday. With the IV Iron ferritin bumped from 8 to 52 then back down to 22. I guess that is common. It may have only improved a little from the 22 number now if at all.

But since I have my periods still, it is one step forward, and two steps back.

I am asymptomatic which is good. Which is the only reason why I have not even considered an endo ablation or any surgical procedure. And after the bad experience with the IUD I am even more hesitant to even try that.

My levels were excellent back in the beginning of December after supplementing. But like I said, fell somewhat due to the prolonged bleeding.

Will do the cast iron pan. And look into the other form of Iron. Thanks!

Edited by dancer67

My levels actually came up very quickly. But dropped again slightly due to a long period.

I have tested negative for Celiac.

I do drink alot of green tea though. And I have coffee in the morning. I need to stay away from these I guess since I know it inhibits absorbtion.

I am not interested in an Ablation at this time. If I was tired, or couldn't function, then I would. But I feel fine.

My periods come close together, and are quite heavy the first few days. Nothing I can't deal with.

Auntie M, let me know how the ablation goes. Do you need a general anesthetic for that?

I am just not willing to go there yet. For now, I do not mind taking iron pills, or even doing an IV Iron every 6 months. Endo ablation comes with many risks and side effects, and no guarantees. At least with the iron, I know what to expect. And I feel fine.

If things do get worse though, it will be something I will consider.

I am not interested in an Ablation at this time. If I was tired, or couldn't function, then I would. But I feel fine.

My periods come close together, and are quite heavy the first few days. Nothing I can't deal with.

Auntie M, let me know how the ablation goes. Do you need a general anesthetic for that?

I am just not willing to go there yet. For now, I do not mind taking iron pills, or even doing an IV Iron every 6 months. Endo ablation comes with many risks and side effects, and no guarantees. At least with the iron, I know what to expect. And I feel fine.

If things do get worse though, it will be something I will consider.

I remember from the earlier thread that our circumstances are different and that you are not ready for that. I didn't mean to sound like I was pushing it. I just wanted you to know I understand how frustrating it is to try to build up those iron stores!

It's amazing you feel so good! I need a recovery day following every very active day I put in. I cannot tolerate the iron supplements. My GI tract cannot handle it. (I take them anyway, but pay for it, iykwim.)

And I think I remember that you have had a colonoscopy to rule out GI sources of blood loss? It does sound like your "female" blood loss is indeed the culprit.

My doc will go the Novosure procedure at the surgical center under general anesthesia. However, printed info on the Novosure does indicate that it can be done with a local in the doctor's office. As part of the procedure, my doc routinely does a uterine biopsy to make sure no irregular cells are present before the cauterization. Perhaps that is a reason she chooses the general? Anyway, I am okay with the general. I will let you know how it goes.

Is the iron tablet that you are taking uncoated? Also are you taking it firsxt thing in the morning before eating?

My dad is a hematologist, and I know those are two of his biggest frustrations. People have low iron and their doc's tell them to take iron supplements, but not those two crucial points. He says he sees a lot of people who never would have had to see him if they did it that way. The coating on the iron tablets make it so that you do not really absorb any.

Also, it is a food item, but do you eat a lot of broccoli? We eat broccoli about 5 times a week, big servings as it is iron rich and we don't eat a lot of red meat.

Nicole

You can still do your coffee and green tea in the morning--just keep them 3 or so hours away from your iron. You might take iron right before bed and make sure that you don't take anything three hours before that might interfere with absorption. If you routinely wake in the night to pee or something you could do iron and vitamin C then if you want and then no worries about absorption.

In addition to the coffee and tea watch eggs, dairy, soy, beans, nuts/seeds, greens, bright red fruits and juices, and any other mineral supplements (calcium, zinc, copper, magnesium, etc.)

Cast iron may help but it, too, is inorganic (it's a metal) so not superior to supplements. I have one caveat with it--adult males shouldn't be taking supplemental iron as they have no way (save blood donation I guess) of getting rid of it. So it can be harmful. And if you are cooking for a family and have a husband he's getting supplemental iron via the cast iron too. Just something to think about.

We really struggled with my son's iron and I learned a lot about what not to eat with iron (he used to have egg yolks daily as I thought iron rich and yay and that was a mistake for example). The ferrochel finally (after two years of trying with other things) raised his levels and he still takes it daily for maintenance but he's been stable.

The Vitamin Shoppe's iron is *Very* good. Completely non constipating.

It's called Comfort Iron, (iron bisglycinate), veggie capsules* and I've never taken a better iron vitamin. I tend toward being anemic and when I get really bad, I feel like sopping laundry-unable to function. I used to only be able to take one iron vitamin a week because they (even Slow Fe) halted my system--not these. I take one a day and they are fantastic. Fast absorbing, easy to swallow.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-2606

*the iron is derived from vegetables

(I would *not* get ablation. Every woman I know who got it done has had worse problems than before they got it. GRANTED, it could be the Dr that did them all, but had I needed it, I refused and I'm so glad I did. )

Edited by justamouse

The iron I take is called Vitron-C. It is coated. It is 65mg of elemental iron. I take one pill 3X a day.

But I do drink coffee after taking my iron, oops. I do drink OJ and take my vitamin C pill with it in the morning on empty stomach. But I end up drinking coffee. And then I have green tea(instant) during the say. Guess that can be a problem.

Because I take it 3X a day, I would never be able to drink coffee or tea because after waiting 3 hours it would be time for my next dose.

Auntie M, I had a sigmoid, not a colonoscopy.

I cannot get the Novasure. No Dr's around here do it, and the one I found that is 2 hours away, does not take my insurance.

I have always felt fine. My anemia was found on accident. Ablation is still in the back of my mind, but it seems very drastic for me right now, only because I feel okay. Doesn't mean that will not change. I had an endo biopsy, that was fine.

So, if no coffee or tea in the mornings(or at all) what can I have in the morning instead? OMG, not having coffee is going to kill me. I like hot beverages in the morning.

I can drop the green tea, and just drink apple juice or sometihng during the day.

I do have to add though, that my diet is very lousy. I sometimes only eat once a day.

I am working on that.

I was looking into the Choryphyll, but read that it can really upset your stomach?

And thanks to everyone about the other iron suggestions.

I tend to go by how I feel rather then the numbers. When I was first DX, my ferritin was down to an 8, and my Hemoglobin was down to 11.1 and Hematocrit was down to 33. My serum iron was still okay. But my saturation was only at 15%. I felt fine.

That raised quite a bit last blood check after supplements. Everything came up to normal. My saturation jumped to 24%, Serum Iron up from 52 to 78. And all my CBC's normalized.

It was just this last time my HGB dropped to 11.7(from 12.9) and HCT from 38.3 to 35, because of the heavy blood loss for 3 weeks straight taking out the IUD. What a nightmare. I had my bloodwork done beginning of December. As of Tuesday, that is what my numbers looked like. And I didn't stop bleeding until a week before the bloodwork was done. The rest of my CBC's are still fine though. Which is good news.

And all my levels normalized within 2 months of taking the supplements. At these numbers, I still feel fine.

I tend to go by how I feel rather then the numbers. When I was first DX, my ferritin was down to an 8, and my Hemoglobin was down to 11.1 and Hematocrit was down to 33. My serum iron was still okay. But my saturation was only at 15%. I felt fine.

I go by how I feel, as well. Most of my iron numbers were considered normal except for stored iron...forget what that is called. Nonetheless, I was short of breath, exhausted, has a racing heartbeat at times, couldn't walk up the stairs without getting winded and was losing a lot of hair. I think everyone has a slightly different "normal", and evidently I need more iron than most for my body to function normally. I need more B12 than most folks, too, and am on injections. I was a hot mess before getting on these. (Family history of pernicious anemia, which I evidently have.) The Floradix did eliminate my symptoms, though, with no side effects. I have heavy monthly bleeding, as well. It is unfun to be mid 40's.:confused:

To the poster who taled about endo ablations this is why I am hesitant. I have been told, even by my own dr that up to 80% of women end up with hysterectomies. So unless it is absolutely necessary, I am not going that route for now.

Maybe these levels for me are normal, I am not sure. I know that I did notice some dizziness a long time ago but that was it.

I am going to look into different options given here and thank you

Me again. I'll stop because I feel like I keep answering things you're not asking!

But on the iron dose. If you use a bisglycinate form (someone upthread mentioned another brand...there are lots of options) you don't have to take so much if you don't want to. It will be absorbed 3 x's better so in studies people raised as well with far less iron. You can take 1/3 other forms essentially. So you could dose less frequently that way and keep it away from things that inhibit absorption perhaps more easily. That said, I've seen studies where they fortified diary with bisglycinate with some success. Some will be absorbed no matter what you do.

To the poster who taled about endo ablations this is why I am hesitant. I have been told, even by my own dr that up to 80% of women end up with hysterectomies. So unless it is absolutely necessary, I am not going that route for now.

u

I wouldn't be scared of an endometrial ablation if I were you. I think many here have had it and been very happy. Maybe make a poll asking for those who have had it to participate and ask if they are happy with it or not. You could break it down into more choices like:

-I highly recommend it

-It was OK, but I'm not thrilled

-It worked for awhile and now I'm back to the same old same old

-I would never recommend it

They could comment on if it was the Novasure or any other things that might be helpful.

I wouldn't be scared of an endometrial ablation if I were you. I think many here have had it and been very happy. Maybe make a poll asking for those who have had it to participate and ask if they are happy with it or not. You could break it down into more choices like:

-I highly recommend it

-It was OK, but I'm not thrilled

-It worked for awhile and now I'm back to the same old same old

-I would never recommend it

They could comment on if it was the Novasure or any other things that might be helpful.

I was on the endo ablation discsussion boards. And I did a lot of reading. There were way more unhappy stories then there were good outcomes. Mainly, things are good for a while, then it just goes back to the same thing again. Or, they end up with more problems then they did before.

Novasure seems to have the better outcomes. But not a procedure I can have here. My insurance does not cover it. And there is only one Dr. around here that performs it.

I cannot justify messing with my uterus like that over iron. I could justify it more if I was bleeding very heavily and could not leave the house, or I had some kind of woman issue that was life threatning or painful. But I don't at this point.

I may end up with more problems then just taking some iron. There are to many women ending up with hysterectomies after having this done. Way worse then just taking some iron.

Maybe, but hopefully not, someday things might change and I may have to take that chance and get it done. And hope I have a good outcome.

Right now, I am doing everything I can to keep up my levels on my own. And if I need to be infused every 6 months, then I will do that.

Things are always subject to change though. So I keep it in mind. What works for one person, may not for another.

Like I said I am asymptomatic. Have always been. Can live my life. For now. :0)

I appreciate the input on it though.:lol:

Me again. I'll stop because I feel like I keep answering things you're not asking!

But on the iron dose. If you use a bisglycinate form (someone upthread mentioned another brand...there are lots of options) you don't have to take so much if you don't want to. It will be absorbed 3 x's better so in studies people raised as well with far less iron. You can take 1/3 other forms essentially. So you could dose less frequently that way and keep it away from things that inhibit absorption perhaps more easily. That said, I've seen studies where they fortified diary with bisglycinate with some success. Some will be absorbed no matter what you do.

Thank you. This is something I will definitley look into.:lol:

This says to only take one a day. How much of this can you take safely? If I took two, one in the morning and one at night, is that to much?

This says to only take one a day. How much of this can you take safely? If I took two, one in the morning and one at night, is that to much?

Actually, it's the safest form of iron--they use bisglycinate to fortify foods (whenever you see iron fortified...it's that) because it's so much safer.

You can dose twice, yes. You may not need to. One 25 mg. is equivalent to 75 to 150 mg. of other forms in studies I've seen.

Ok, first hit when I googled ferrochel and safety talks also about absorption. I like how it summarizes studies and such but there are tons of studies you can look up in medical journals (and I have) to echo this sort of thing. I would not use this particular supplement on this site! It includes extra "stuff" some of which is fine but others things they include (copper and some of the extra stuff like spinach is known to block iron absorption!) Just do regular ferrous bisglycinate (like the gentle iron) and vitamin C. Take another B vitamin with it or at a different time if you'd like. Keep the other minerals and stuff that inhibits iron away (that includes greens like spinach, dairy, your tea, eggs). I'm not linking it because I think it's a good choice but because they give information from some of the studies all together. There are better bisglycinate forms out there that I would use rather than this one.

A recent study of anemic adolescents at INCAP (Institute of Nutrition for Central America and Panama), demonstrated that 30 mg of iron as Ferrochel® raised hemoglobin levels the same as 120 mg of ferrous sulfate. Ferrochel® was four times more bioavailable and demonstrated a 70-75% absorption rate. My note: it mentions typically supplements of iron have 2-14% absorption in studies...that's why you need to take so much and it's also why you have the side effects like constipation--unabsorbed iron.

Furthermore, with a dose of 30 mg no negative side effects were noted and at the larger dosage tested (150 mg), fifty percent fewer complaints were registered when compared to those individuals taking the ferrous sulfate supplements.

Both long term animal studies and LD50 tests were conducted using high doses of Ferrochel® and the results demonstrated that this form of iron is less toxic than ferrous sulfate. In fact, research indicates that Ferrochel is between 3-10 times less toxic than this common form of iron.
Edited by sbgrace

:grouphug: and thank you for giving me this information. I actually did some research on this myself, and it does indicate better absorption.

So the Solgar Gentle Iron is a good one?

I am going to ask my Hematoligst about it. He is really good about this stuff. Even still, I can do pretty much whatever I want.

Getting my bloodwork done on Monday, and I will order this then.

I will dose once a day first, at night to see how it sits with me. Then I will dose twice as long as it agrees with me. Can you take two at a time, or is it better to split the dose up?

You have been so helpful. Thanks so very much:D

• 1 month later...

I just read about the benefits of cumin and thought of you.

Anemia: cumin is very rich in iron (above 66 mg. in each 100 grams) which is more than 5 times the daily requirement of iron for an adult. This iron is the main constituent of haemoglobin in the red blood corpuscles of blood. It is haemoglobin which transfers oxygen (as oxide of iron) to the body-cells and whose deficiency causes anemia. So, cumin can be a nutritious additive to daily diet for anemic people.

I took ferrophos (I think that's the name), a homeopathic remedy, as an iron supplement after I hemorrhaged after a birth. It brought my iron levels up very high very quickly (a few weeks). It's inexpensive (maybe $6 a tube). Might be worth looking into . . .

Is something in your diet hindering it's absorption? It sounds like you're getting lots of iron. If you're still deficient, where's it all going?

Try googling iron absorption inhibitors and see if anything sounds like it could be the problem.

:iagree:

What i have seen is that sometimes with an iron deficiency there is really an underlying digestive issue that is hindering absorption. Do you have any heartburn, bloating etc? It could be an acid issue.

:iagree:

What i have seen is that sometimes with an iron deficiency there is really an underlying digestive issue that is hindering absorption. Do you have any heartburn, bloating etc? It could be an acid issue.

No. And I am negative for celiac.

Thank you for the above suggestions. I actually got my iron levels up after my last blood test.(Ferritin/Iron Storage) I went from an 8 to a 25. And all else is normal.

I want to continue to build my iron stores, as my Dr would "like" to see it above 50.

Blackstrap molasses.

This works great for DD. She will feel that her iron is low, take a tablespoon of Blackstrap Molasses and feel the results within 10 minutes. She doesn't like the taste, but chasing it with Orange Juice helps a little.

I took ferrophos (I think that's the name), a homeopathic remedy, as an iron supplement after I hemorrhaged after a birth. It brought my iron levels up very high very quickly (a few weeks). It's inexpensive (maybe $6 a tube). Might be worth looking into . . .

Made a note of this. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting.