Menu

At what age do your children start reading SOTW on their own?

helena

If you do STOW, that is. :001_smile:

My 9yo is saying she can't understand what she's reading, even though we start the week by listening to the CD. She just finished Box Car Kids and she's currently reading Half Magic, to give you an idea of her reading level (two different levels, I know :)).

Should I tell her to do her best? Should I wait until she feels ready? I'm already having a hard time doing the read alouds I've got going, I don't want to add this if I don't have to.

We're doing ancients.

:bigear:

Can you allow her to use the cd version. I always have my dc listen to the cd - it really helps with the correct pronunciation. Then we read it together - mostly her aloud, and I give instructions on what to highlight (usually the answers to some of the questions I have typed up for her to answer on her own). I stop a lot during this reading and discuss. My dd is 9 and is reading STOW 3 just fine using this pattern.

Can you allow her to use the cd version. I always have my dc listen to the cd - it really helps with the correct pronunciation. Then we read it together - mostly her aloud, and I give instructions on what to highlight (usually the answers to some of the questions I have typed up for her to answer on her own). I stop a lot during this reading and discuss. My dd is 9 and is reading STOW 3 just fine using this pattern.

Mondays we listen to the CD, by Friday we've done everything else and are ready for the test. I'd like her to read the chapter Thursday to prepare.

I wonder if the book and CD are exactly the same? Maybe I should have her read along with the CD? Off to investigate!

Just to tell you that there is a difference between Boxcar Children and SOTW. Boxcar Children is a story about children and their mysteries and the things they get into. Story of the World (SOTW) is history and information and facts. It is still easier to follow Boxcar than SOTW. My younger son is struggling to take the test for SOTW 3. I have him review and narrate each section and I have him re-narrate. He hates the Asian sections because he forgets the names. When there are three wars going on in a section and those wars have two different names each, it becomes a lot to remember. My son will say, "I'm confused." These are on good days. I can't get him to retain anything if he was sick. I have to ask him questions from the test sometimes, not always. I also have to have him read it twice. I don't have a CD.

I am wondering why wouldn't you have her listen to the CD on Mondays, then for the rest of the week, have her read the book while she is listening at the same time. Then you are hitting both the audio and visual side of her learning. Unless she is a kinetic learner, then you have to go with the craft.

This is just my experience.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I would think that she should be able to understand SOTW I as it's written for lower elementary. I know the reading level is a little higher than that.... I wonder what's throwing her? Is is the switching between fact and fiction? The names of some of the people? Could she come to you if she gets stuck on vocab?

Soooo, she's listening to the CD of a chapter first, then reading the same chapter? Yes, I see your later post about that. Hmmmm, it does seem good to me that she review on her own by reading over the chapter. Maybe she should make notes while she listens to it on CD, too?

Ds started reading SOTW2 by himself at age 7. But he's a strong reader, having read the Boxcar Series books #1-19 six times through! I'm sure I couldn't have read SOTW2 at his age ;)

If she can't answer the questions after reading it to herself, I'd continue to read it to her, stopping every so often to discuss/narrate/ask questions. Or have Dad read it in the evenings! :D

I would think that she should be able to understand SOTW I as it's written for lower elementary. I know the reading level is a little higher than that.... I wonder what's throwing her? Is is the switching between fact and fiction? The names of some of the people? Could she come to you if she gets stuck on vocab?

Soooo, she's listening to the CD of a chapter first, then reading the same chapter? Yes, I see your later post about that. Hmmmm, it does seem good to me that she review on her own by reading over the chapter. Maybe she should make notes while she listens to it on CD, too?

I think it's partially that the names and place are confusing her. I just went through to see if the CD and book are the same word for word (it would really confuse her if they weren't), now I'm wondering how she would absorb the information? I think she might get so busy trying to follow along, that she won't pay attention to what's being said.

I'm going to start playing around with some suggestions. I'm ready to make her more accountable in SOTW, I just need to figure out what that means. :001_smile:

Yeah, I think there's a big jump from level 2 to levels 3 and 4 in terms of kids being able to read it on their own. The chapters cover several topics, too, and jump more from one to another which I think might be confusing for younger children in particular. When you're reading it aloud, you can say something to transition into it or answer any question about it they might have, but they don't get that reading it alone.

Yeah, I think there's a big jump from level 2 to levels 3 and 4 in terms of kids being able to read it on their own. The chapters cover several topics, too, and jump more from one to another which I think might be confusing for younger children in particular. When you're reading it aloud, you can say something to transition into it or answer any question about it they might have, but they don't get that reading it alone.

I agree. The leap seems so close, but I might have to be patient a bit longer.

But see I also find the suggestion to start a second child off where the first child is so they can work in the same book ridiculous. I can already tell that will not work for next year so I will be doing 2 levels. Which will be hard on me!

I don't think that the suggestion is so much to only use one level as to only use one topic. I think several levels is implied. Sure your next kid might not be ready for SOTW 3 or 4, but that doesn't mean you have to teach both Early Modern and Ancients. You'll just have your older do SOTW and your younger use some picture books on the same topic (especially all those american history chapters have many resources for the younger ages).

I agree w/Mallory on this. I have a 3rd grader doing SOTW3 and a 1st grade tag along. My 1st grader does listen in, but her narrations are of a different character. She draws pics of what she remembers sometimes that are so cute. Her copywork will be something along the lines of "A monarchy is a country with a king or a queen," and "Persia is now called Iran," as opposed to me hoping she will remember the specifics of the wars discussed in the chapters. We read picture books and books on the countries now (social studies) for each chapter. Some things, like American History are perfect for a 1st grader and are typical (in a ps program) 1st grade topics: Columbus, explorers, Paul Revere, etc. We have a lot of fun with these.

Anyway, just wanted to say it can be done.

I have an 8 yr old. Sometimes she does better reading SOTW to herself than listening when I read it. She seems to retain more that way. And funny that you think reading along w/a tape would be harder for her. I mean, funny to me, because both of my very different learners have always done very well with reading along w/a C.D. and retaining. You might try that if you haven't.

But either way, I read it aloud. I have been wondering too when to make the switch to her reading it to herself. I think now would be a good time, but then I would have to go back and read it anyway to discuss it with her and aloud to my younger. So my answer would be now, if I didn't have a 1st grade tag along I think.

I think it's partially that the names and place are confusing her. I just went through to see if the CD and book are the same word for word (it would really confuse her if they weren't), now I'm wondering how she would absorb the information? I think she might get so busy trying to follow along, that she won't pay attention to what's being said.

I'm going to start playing around with some suggestions. I'm ready to make her more accountable in SOTW, I just need to figure out what that means. :001_smile:

Could you make her a note card with the most important names/places/etc. for each chapter/section on it? That way she could look at it before reading and know that she only needed to focus on a few specific names/places/etc. Maybe it would help her focus her reading/narration if she was looking for a few things while reading.

Could you make her a note card with the most important names/places/etc. for each chapter/section on it? That way she could look at it before reading and know that she only needed to focus on a few specific names/places/etc. Maybe it would help her focus her reading/narration if she was looking for a few things while reading.

Okay, I did it! I made 2 flashcards listing names and places. I taped them up in a good place to review everyday. I'll take them down on Friday, (test day). On Thursday I'm going to try having her read along with the CD.

Thanks!

I have ds (7) read the chapter after he's heard it on the audio. He listens better in the car, BTW. He's abysmal at remembering any names and dates, though. But I'd rather him enjoy the stories at this age, which he seems to know. He does get confused a lot, though. Who's Muslim, who's Christian, who's who.

Ok I like this idea. I guess I'm having a hard time letting go of the idea that I cannot use it with my second like I used it with my first. Does that make sense? My first used the entire thing. He did the reading, questions, mapwork, etc. That isn't going to work out with my second if he starts off in 3 or 4. But you are right, I could just get picture books, have him do the coloring page, and maybe some of the projects. That certainly would make my life easier!

But I do go back and forth on this. I just remember my first really loving SOTW 1. I think my second would love it too. So I'm so tempted to just do both. Then again that might make me crazy!

I promise it will work just fine if you start SOTW 1 in 2nd or 3rd. He'll get to do all of it, but you won't have to teach two time periods. You could even not do any formal history with him until you are ready to start over again with Ancients. Then he'll get to do it all from the start, but you still won't have to teach two time periods ;)