Menu

If you've had to switch from an "organic food/sustainable meat/dairy" lifestyle...

...to a more budget-based, "buy store brands at your local market" lifestyle, can you talk to me about it? We've finally reached the point where I don't think we can afford to keep buying the things we have been, and I'm having such a hard time with it.

We're lucky to have a local co-op group through which we can buy eggs, chicken, meat, etc. straight from the farmers who raise them, and I'm in a local delivery program for organic/biodynamic fruits and veggies. But it's still SO expensive. I don't buy a lot of convenience foods, we cook at home for almost every meal these days, the kids eat fruit for snacks, and we're still exceeding our $600 monthly food budget.

I think what's hurting us the most is that DH and I eat a lot of protein, and I can't have gluten or a too much of any grain-based food, or my GI issues flare and I feel generally yucky. With trying to eat organic/sustainably, that kind of diet is so expensive.

Anyway, I know it probably sounds ridiculous to some, but this is how we've eaten for years, and when I was working, we had the luxury to do so. Now, not so much. And of course I won't go back to work just to be able to keep feeding us this way, because that's definitely worse for all of us, but I'm still having a hard time getting over some of my long-held biases and concerns.

If you've switched over, how did you manage to change your mindset? Did you feel it was important to continue to buy anything in particular organic or from your local farm, etc.? Were you ever able to shut off that part of your brain that keeps whispering about giving your kids pesticides, etc.?

TIA!

Yes, it was due to financial reasons but, we had also moved and organics weren't available.

I cringed alot at first but then remembered that if we lost the house, it would be worse. We cut our budget from over $600 to about $400 for a family of 5.

Part of that was shopping at a day old bread store but that won't help you. You can find meats that have no hormones added at the regular stores. Sometimes they are called "natural." The price is usually the same or only slightly higher.

We eat a lot of beans and rice (pinto beans), soups and pasta. You can buy rice pasta at an Asian grocery store very cheaply. I make both chicken and tomato soup. Buy a whole chicken and cook it down in a big pot, adding veggies, potatos, spices.

We never gave up organic milk or yogurt (Wal-mart carries Stonyfield Farms) but everything else changed to regular. We compromised on the eggs switching from organic to vegetarian eggs. It was hard to switch to regular cheese and butter because I know that those bad chemicals concentrate in fats.

It took time but I came to see that my kids were ok eating non-organic foods. I also remind myself that being homeless will be worse.

I hope this helps make the transition at least a little easier.

Denise

We are able to buy organic produce and dairy at our local grocery store, our meat is called natural as pp said (that means different things to different people, so ask at the meat counter, for our store it means no hormones and grass fed), and I just look for prepackaged food that has ingredients that I can pronounce. :001_smile: Our monthly grocery budget is $500, and we can generally stay within it for our family of 5.

You can often buy non-organic fruits and vegetables for substantially less without damaging the health of your kids. Aside from a few things like strawberries, most produce doesn't contain high levels of pesticides or other agricultural chemicals. Buying strictly in-season stuff cuts down on price--although that means mostly citrus and storage apples in winter, plus sturdy greens and root vegetables.

I've noticed over the course of the past year that Wal-mart is carrying an increasing number of the same shelf and freezer items that my food coop carries. However, at least here, they are charging more for these items than I pay at coop. A lot of our groceries are also stepping up the number of organic offerings, but I think you need to do a cost comparison.

I stocked my pantry fully one time several years ago, then my freezers, and after that I try to just shop sales for replenishing. Even organic stuff goes on sale.

Does your family like soups and stews? We eat a lot of them except during the very hottest months. One of our favorites is chicken/leek/and brown rice soup with whatever vegetables I happen to have on hand. We also like tomato soup, and "cream" of chicken made with rice milk. Fish chowders, beef stew, and lentils, beans, or split peas seasoned with one or two uncured chicken and apple sausage links (I allow 1 link per 3 people--saves money and cuts calories a bit) are also popular with my family. I like soups because they are good ways to stretch proteins, and they're easily digested especially if the ingredients are chopped finely. I tend to be lazy, but making your own vegetable, meat, and fish stocks can be fun, and it's a great way to use good but not pretty vegetables.

I grow my own sprouts, too, and started doing that when I was a poor college student and was living off all sorts of odd manager's weekly specials. In those days, sprouts weren't available in supermarkets and most of the folks buying seeds and sprouting jars at the health food stores were old hippies :D. My parents thought I was nuts. I also make my own fruit/vegetable wash with 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup water, and 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract mixed in a spray bottle. I soak some things/spray others. It's effective at getting off waxes, dirt, insects, and surface pesticides and costs a lot less than what's sold in stores. The GSE is a bit pricey, but it has a long shelf life and a little goes a long way.

We have made a lot of changes in the past couple of years, partly to save money and partly because dh and I are struggling with middle aged metabolisms while making sure our extremely lean son keeps his weight stable. Dh and I were born in the 50's and I don't like to think how much pesticide we've ingested; even so, we're pretty healthy so far. We try to eat what's in season, and dh's suggestion was to cut back on variety by limiting the total number of items we buy in any given shopping trip. If you focus on what's in season that helps keep menus from getting too boring even if you're buying fewer items. One thing I don't compromise on is good quality olive oil.

We use very little dairy because ds is allergic to milk and dh and I have become seriously lactose intolerant. If USDA organic standards are acceptable to you, then it is possible to get reasonably priced organic dairy products in most stores.

HTH,

Martha

Edited by Martha in NM

Do you have space to garden on a significant scale? I can get away not buying fruits and veggies for about 9 months of the year. In the middle of winter (like now) I have to break down and buy from the store. Learning how to freeze/can/store your produce makes a huge difference in your budget.

I keep trying to convince dh to let me start a little grow-op in the basement so I can satisfy my lettuce habit throughout the winter. :D

Yes- our situation varies and sometimes I can afford organic produce, sometimes I can't. Also, dh is not so supportive of spending much money on organics, so I budget really hard to buy what I can while still staying within a certain budget.

My first priority is always to buy fresh, alive food, rather than frozen or packaged food. I think the most important thing is fresh food, and as much fruit and veg as possible. So whether I get it at the supermarket, the organic stores, or the farmer's markets....that is my aim. I will tend to only buy what is in season and if its on special at the supermaket (as cherries were last week) I will buy it there rather than spend twice or triple that to get it organic or go without cherries altogether.

It's a constant juggle here. I am learning to meal plan more, to waste less food, to use the farmer's markets more and more...which means more planning and more buying what is in season....so that I can buy higher quality food within our budget.

One intheresting thing that came up in the book I jsut read- Food Rules- is that we in the west tend to spend a much smaller proportion of our income on food, than other cultures. He recommends buying the highest quality of food you can afford. I have trouble convincing my dh of that (he is jsut into bargains and whatever is on special, doesnt read labels etc) but if I budget well I can usually manage it. When there isnt enough money, there isnt enough money. I just do my best.

I struggle with this too. We have a freezer and once every three months we go to a natural meat market and buy meat in bulk and that helps a lot. Costco (if you have it) has gone to lots of organics for reasonable prices (even their salsa). For the most part though I really have to balance whether it is worth it. Unfortunately we just can't afford to eat all-natural, organic foods like I would like to :(

I have extra on the budget now but haven't at times. Our diet is similiar to yours, we are gluten/dairy/soy free and I need to eat grain free as well. I try to keep my fat good and stay off the list of the dirty dozen. Buy in season produce. I am able to eat more carbs now so can stretch the budget with fruit, potatoes and such so that helps.

I went from veg to cautiously eating grass-fed local meat to, well, buying pretty much all our groceries at Wal-mart because I can get the very best deals there.

It was a gradual transition, and frankly poverty is what drove it. If I could triple my food budget to be able to buy the local organic milk, get Bountiful Baskets, obtain healthier meat, etc., I totally would. I can't, so I just stopped worrying about it and focus on providing the healthiest of what I can afford (fresh fruits and veggies, organic bread from an outlet store that sells day-old bread for $1 or $.50/loaf, etc.).