Menu

What is the nutritional diff between Ultra-pasteurized vs. Pasteurized Milk?

I used to buy Organic Valley Organic Milk. Over the past year I have noticed that the expiration dates we getting longer and longer on the products. Historically, OV milk didn't have a long shelf life but now it has several weeks? I then noticed that it was now Ultra-pasteurized instead of pasteurized. I ended up switching brands due to this. OV is much more readily available around here and the other is not, so I was wondering......what is the difference?

This is one reason why I won't buy organic milk - the ultra-pasteurization process. It kills off all of the good stuff and tastes like junk. I also believe the UP stuff doesn't need to be refridgerated and is what they serve in chow halls in Iraq/Afghanistan to the military as it doesn't really spoil.

Like Lara said, it's just a different method of bringing to a high temperature. The nutritional value is exactly the same. I disagree with Lara about ultra pasteurization killing off more good bacteria -- the temperatures used for both kinds of pasteurization kill off the good bacteria, from what I understand. If you want the good bacteria, you're just going to have to buy raw milk that hasn't been pastuerized, period.

I used to buy Organic Valley Organic Milk. Over the past year I have noticed that the expiration dates we getting longer and longer on the products. Historically, OV milk didn't have a long shelf life but now it has several weeks? I then noticed that it was now Ultra-pasteurized instead of pasteurized. I ended up switching brands due to this. OV is much more readily available around here and the other is not, so I was wondering......what is the difference?

The Organic Valley milk at our store is only ultra-pasteurized in the half gallons, but the gallons are just pasteurized. So I only buy the gallons. Are the gallons not available where you live?

Ultra pasteurized is a process that goes to a higher temp for a lesser amount of time. So is well liked by milk people. But the higher temp kills more "good" things as well.

Lara

What exactly do you mean by "good" things?

Thanks!

Ultra-pasteurized milk heats to a higher temp, this higher temp. can kill off more vitamins within the milk too along with the good bacteria in milk. Why do it? It makes the milk last longer and the time of the pasteurization process is significantly reduced. They can pasteurize a lot more milk in a lot less time.

Ultra-pasteurized milk actually does not even have to be refrigerated, it's like the boxed Parmalat milk. They put in the cold section because that's what people are used too.

I researched this a bit a while back but don't remember all the details now, hope this helps.

Kai -

There are really good bacteria in milk, and a good chunk of it is killed off in the pasteurization process.

I guess I'm wondering why there would be *any* bacteria in milk that wasn't introduced from somewhere outside the cow.

FYI, here's some info re pasteurization from Organic Valley's site.

This is one reason why I won't buy organic milk - the ultra-pasteurization process. It kills off all of the good stuff and tastes like junk. I also believe the UP stuff doesn't need to be refridgerated and is what they serve in chow halls in Iraq/Afghanistan to the military as it doesn't really spoil.

Some organic milk is ultra-pasteurized, some is not. Taste is of course a matter of preference. I don't care for the UHT milk, but I've met many consumers who do prefer both the taste and the extended shelf-life.

Edited by Colleen

Personally, I lost my taste for milk when subjected to UHT milk aboard ship in the Navy. The stuff just tastes yech.

We have a local dairy that has an organic milk division, and they use standard pasteurizaton. If I could afford organic milk, that's what I'd buy.

Personally, I lost my taste for milk when subjected to UHT milk aboard ship in the Navy. The stuff just tastes yech.

I used to think much of it was a matter of what we're used to. Many people in other Western countries have been drinking UHT and/or shelf-stable milk their whole lives, for example, whereas it's a relatively less common in the U.S. But the more I hear from people who actually prefer UHT milk, the more I realize my theory is worthless. For that matter, I know a lot of people who don't notice a difference in taste between UHT and HTST, including people who have been raw milk drinkers their whole lives. What's primarily noticeable to them is the lower fat content. Even "whole" milk is akin to water to my boys.

Edited by Colleen

FYI, here's some info re pasteurization from Organic Valley's site.

I guess my brain is tired tonight (I just got off a hard shift at work) what is "available recommended daily intake"? (The percentages at the bottom of the page).

What is your more personal opinion? You can PM me if you would prefer?

graph-pasteurization-vitaminloss.png