Menu

The Hobbit..any favorite sites for worksheets, activities related to the book?

I almost got The Hobbit for dd at the library last night, but I decided to hold off. I am curious what age you guys think is appropriate for reading this book?

(sorry to hijack!)

My kids have enjoyed it as young as age 3 (she was a very precocious and verbal 3yo). It is the most requested read aloud in our house. :)

DD listened to it on tape when she was four. She read it herself when she was 8.

Thanks everyone. I know she is able to read it and would likely love it, but was worried content-wise (I haven't read it in a loooong time). Maybe we'll give it a try!

Thanks again!

Jaw still dropped here. Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

ETA: DS read The Hobbit in third grade. He was a strong reader and fantasy lover, though.

Edited by lisabees

Thanks everyone. I know she is able to read it and would likely love it, but was worried content-wise (I haven't read it in a loooong time). Maybe we'll give it a try!

Thanks again!

I don't think there is anything content-wise in Tolkien's writings that someone would have an issue with unless they don't like magic in books.

I'm sorry. Did I miss that she asked for secular? Sometimes, I don't read it closely enough.

Oh no, I don't think the OP said any such thing. I just wanted to mention it for any others who prefer secular materials- they may not want to waste their time clicking and reading KWIM?

Stacia, thanks for the blog link.

As you may know, we haven't started The Hobbit yet, but hope to this year.

Have the same study guide and it looks good.

Oh no, I don't think the OP said any such thing. I just wanted to mention it for any others who prefer secular materials- they may not want to waste their time clicking and reading KWIM?

I do appreciate you mentioning that that site has a Christian world view. I wish I knew this beforehand for many programs, sites, and links that I often visit. I don't have a problem with some Christian content, but as someone here on these boards once said so wisely, "I like to add my faith in, not have to correct things we don't believe; so we use secular curricula now." :)